LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

The guys in the lotto who scare me are Randle, Saric, McDermott, and Cauley-Stein.

I'd agree with this. Saric mainly scares me because of off the court reasons. McDermott scares me because I don't know if he's worth a lottery pick but I do think he could be a very good player off the bench for a contender in the right system.

Like MP said though literally everybody has something to worry about which is what makes this draft so interesting. A lot of guys could become great players but there isn't a guy like an Anthony Davis where everybody just agrees he's pretty much a certainty to be a star.

A lot of guys could become great players but there isn't a guy like an Anthony Davis where everybody just agrees he's pretty much a certainty to be a star.

To me there are two can't miss prospects that will be very productive NBA players … assuming the one dude checks out physically: Embiid and Parker. However, I believe others have as much if not more upside than these guys (e.g. Wiggins and Exum). All of this makes this draft very interesting!!!

That's cool, you're absolutely entitled to your opinion. Just acknowledge that yours is actually the minority opinion (not vice versa)...the guy has been slotted in the late lottery to mid- first round all year and one very impressive dunk in the championship game doesn't change the fact that he shoots 40.2% from the floor and is a defensive liability. That said, I like Young a lot and do consider him a viable option with considerable upside with our second pick.

No, I wouldn't go that far...I am content watching people come around to where he should have been all along. Assuming Wiggins is a combo SF and not solely a SG Young is the best SG with most upside in the draft, with a nod to Harris and his defensive abilities being a very close second (lower ceiling). Young is like a more athletic Mobley....without the Doug Christie affair to deal with. As you said he is certainly worth a look with our second pick whether its 9 or 15.

At this point I am more concerned about our pick as it looks like we may end up in the dreaded 4th position, which not only gets us out of the best prospect range (barring a miracle lotto pull) but puts us in the Exum vs Randle boat...much shakier than choosing whichever of the top 3 is available.

No, I wouldn't go that far...I am content watching people come around to where he should have been all along. Assuming Wiggins is a combo SF and not solely a SG Young is the best SG with most upside in the draft, with a nod to Harris and his defensive abilities being a very close second (lower ceiling). Young is like a more athletic Mobley....without the Doug Christie affair to deal with. As you said he is certainly worth a look with our second pick whether its 9 or 15.

At this point I am more concerned about our pick as it looks like we may end up in the dreaded 4th position, which not only gets us out of the best prospect range (barring a miracle lotto pull) but puts us in the Exum vs Randle boat...much shakier than choosing whichever of the top 3 is available.

The point is you are in the minority, not me, in terms of where you believe he should/will go and I'm certainly not the only one who disagrees with your analysis...which is why I''ve challenged you to find ANYONE who agrees with you. Otherwise just acknowledge it's your opinion (which you are completely entitled to) and that maybe you're the one in the minority. It's not asking that much really.

• Upvote 1

What projected lotto picks scare you guys?

Wiggins and Parker, just because of the potential and expectations. Plus, Wiggins has that KU stink on him (being proven again once more by Ben McLemore). Exum, because of all the unknown surrounding him. He could be Dirk, he could be Darko. Euros scare me, because you fear what you don't know. Embiid because of his back (and the KU stink).

Kinda like Mauro said, everyone has something scary about them. We went from thibking there were 4-5 cant-miss-LeBron-like prospects in this draft to having doubts about each of them.

Honestly, the guy I worry about the least is Smart. He can shove 100 racist fans, it wouldn't bother me. It's hilarious that people use that to downplay what he does on the court. And McDermott, who would probably be the number one pick if he was black.

Ha-Ha-Ha.....I'm sayin' lol....That guy can take it to the hole, shoot....If he wasn't playing with so many high school all-americans he'd have scored more....Those of you posting you like him with the 2nd pick I'm with you.....And he's such a good athlete he can be taught to play defense...."J.J. Redick anybody "

Soul, is there even a top 5 for anybody ???....Even the guys at the top have warts....Heck, I've been reading that Parker can't play anything but the "4" in the NBA....I know you've been reading about Wiggins and his warts....Embid has a bad back and I see him dropping....Randle supposedly will stuggle against taller players....Exum is a wildcard.

Anybody who thinks any of these players are gonna immediately lift their franchises to new heights are mistaken.

I'm a big Randle fan (with some reservations) and I think Young was the most confident UK guy in the final. Even though your confidence can change with your role (you may not be as comfortable being the #1 guy, for example) it still counts for something.

And his offensive game is very intriguing. Same thing for Napier but he's shorter and older if I'm not mistaken

Btw I hope that late Afflalo 3 made him desirable to other teams again, and hopefully we can get something big in the draft for him, so that Brooklyn win doesn't go to waste