LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

I wouldn't worry so much about the picks we gave up for Payton. Teams will be calling this summer for help to eat some salary for them and we will be able to get more picks as the price.

We still have a 1st and 2nd rounder owed by the Lakers and simply gave Philly back the pick from the Howard trade that was heavily protected anyway.

Watch Dipo blossom this year now that he gets to play off the ball a lot more. I would not be surprised to see him shoot close to 40% beyond the arc being able to spot up and get his feet set off Payton's penetration moves.

The good news is oladipo shot 37.3% from three over the last 3 months of the season.

The bad news is he shot 31/83 over those 32 games. Not a very high volume. He might regress with more attempts.

Vonleh was entirely overrated here. I think it was a good pickup for CLT but he really didn't show a lot that screamed difference maker to me, Gordon has the chance to make a difference on defense and clean up some lobs from an athletic pg. I really didn't see either of those from Vonleh, despite the hard sell on his measurements.

Well said

And the main thing here is that this kind of defense can not be taught - whereas shooting can.

We have to remember the pattern with Henny moves. Everyone goes WTF!!! and then a year later says "wow, great move."

I mean did anyone think Vucivic was going to be this good the day of the Dwight trade?

Although I remain a bit uncomfortable with the Gordon selection, you make a very solid point with Henny's moves and what it has produced to date! No, I was suprised with Vuc's skill set, as well as Hark, Tobias and AN! So we wait! I am good with that!!

Good post Cat!

Vonleh was entirely overrated here. I think it was a good pickup for CLT but he really didn't show a lot that screamed difference maker to me, Gordon has the chance to make a difference on defense and clean up some lobs from an athletic pg. I really didn't see either of those from Vonleh, despite the hard sell on his measurements.

Since this post is clearly aimed at me, due to the "hard sell on measurements" part I am pretty sure you gave me grief when I said I thought Gordon was going to be great as well. I loved Vonleh and gordon more than Randle and I trust that Rob made the right pick out of 3 excellent PF prospects.

Vonleh brings shooting the table, which we need, but Rob saw something in Gordon that made him pull the trigger.

I'm starting to think Patrick Young really needs to be on this team as a fourth big. He just fits the mentality and toughness and intelligence that Orlando is clearly trying to build as a team. I would love to see us bring him in.

The good news is oladipo shot 37.3% from three over the last 3 months of the season.

The bad news is he shot 31/83 over those 32 games. Not a very high volume. He might regress with more attempts.

On the other hand it could be argued that he was:

1) taking fewer because he was handling/penetrating more as the PG - less time on the wing to take 3's; and

2) he was getting a better feel for what was a good attempt and what wasn't; and

3) with continued work on it over the summer, he may already have improved his consistency/mechanics.

With someone else breaking down the D and giving him more open, good attempts, it is not unreasonable to expect that his 3-point shooting may stay at the 37% or even improve.

Yes, but I don't believe he is the type of guy to regress. I think volume makes him better.

A lot of his misses were at the rim. He needs to work on his finishing. The good news there is he was trying to finish a lot as a PG and driving past 3 people. Now he will only have to beat 1 guy off the dribble, and the floor should be spaced out if we get a SF who can shoot, and Payton is creating like I think he will.

I'm starting to think Patrick Young really needs to be on this team as a fourth big. He just fits the mentality and toughness and intelligence that Orlando is clearly trying to build as a team. I would love to see us bring him in.

We definitely need more bigs right now. 1-2 would be great. We can thin the herd at SF.

On the other hand it could be argued that he was:

a) taking fewer because he was handling/penetrating more as the PG - less time on the wing to take 3's; and

B)/> was getting a better feel for what was a good attempt and what wasn't; and

c) with continued work on it over the summer, he may already have improved his consistency/mechanics.

With someone else breaking down the D and giving him more open, good attempts, it is not unreasonable to expect that his 3-point shooting may stay at the 37% or even improve.

Definitely not unreasonable but not a given.

I think we can all agree it's encouraging.

We definitely need more bigs right now. 1-2 would be great. We can thin the herd at SF.

Really??? Who are you counting as SF? I count Harris as a combo forward, and Gordon as a combo forward, Harkless as a combo wing.

I do agree we could use one more quality big.

Osby is on the summer league roster, he could provide some help to. Big 6'8 250 played well at times in last years D league then had that shoulder injury