LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

It's Exum or Smart, and If Parker falls, he is the pick, 12th will be stauska.

I think it's more, Exum or Vonleh, and if Parker falls, he's the pick. 12th will be a shooter or a pg if we draft Vonleh.

• Upvote 1

I think it's more, Exum or Vonleh, and if Parker falls, he's the pick. 12th will be a shooter or a pg if we draft Vonleh.

Yes. Hood is my highest % pick for 12.

Vonleh - this guy has some skills. Just a really nice stroke. He can break people down off the dribble rather nicely for being a big. While his post offense is not great, I think he can create off the dribble outside the paint. Im really impressed with how agile he is while handling the ball. His 3 ball looks much better than Bosh's.

Really raw - needs time, maybe even 2 months in the Dleague before coming off the bench behind Harris. But when it comes to BPA at pick 4, I think he may have Exum beat out.

Random hyptothetical:

If Smart had come out last years and we drafted him, who woul we be looking at for the 4th pick?

You'd have to think Vonleh, or hope one of the big 3 falls. Gordon may be a stretch at 4, but in that scenario, I like him after Vonleh.

Random hyptothetical:

If Smart had come out last years and we drafted him, who woul we be looking at for the 4th pick?

Exum or vonleh

@Probballdraft: Hearing the Magic are very real players for Jusuf Nurkic at 12. His range sounds like 7-19.

Random hyptothetical:

Exum could still be on the cards if he's seen more as a SG than a PG. If so, pairing him with Smart could work.

Vonleh would slot in nicely at PF, and the second first round pick could go on a SG (eg Stauskas, Harris, Young) or a SF (eg Hood, McDermott).

For me, I'd say we would go for a Vonleh at #4. And then draft a SG at #12 to rotate with Afflalo, and use Harkless and Harris at SF.

I'd be disappointed if the Magic go the draft and stash route at 12.

Let's say we draft Dante Exum at #4 and Dario Saric at #12. Saric decides to play one or two seasons in Europe. Perhaps that isn't ideal, but if we managed to pull off a trade with the Kings or Hornets for Afflalo, that could leave us with:

PG: Exum / Nelson

SG: Oladipo / ?

SF: Harkless / Harris

PF: Gordon or Randle / Nicholson

C: Vuc / O'Quinn

This will give us talent at each position to develop and nurture into future stars and/or role players. Fast forward a season and we land another lottery pick plus two second round picks. Let's say we draft Mario Hezonja around the #10 mark. Not going to guess what we get in the second round. That leaves us with:

SG: Oladipo / Hezonja

With the 2014/15 season of development under our players belts, plus the addition of Hezonja and two other draft picks, we will have the base of a talented team that could push on for the 7th or 8th seed. We will have cap space for free agents if desired. Now if Saric comes back after one season, we can add him into the above rotation at SF or PF giving us extra depth and quality. That would be a good situation to come back into, plus he'd have a years worth of development under his belt in Europe.

If he stays a second season in Europe during the 2015/16 season, he will hopefully be coming to a team that will have got back into the play offs. So again, he will be coming into a good situation, with more experience and be a contributor. It might not be an ideal pick right now to stash a player, but someone of Saric's talent could be useful a couple of seasons down the line for a run at the play offs. Plus, you never know if he decides to come over straight away if it looks likely he could start from day one, or play major mins.

Let's say we draft Dante Exum at #4 and Dario Saric at #12. Saric decides to play one or two seasons in Europe. Perhaps that isn't ideal, but if we managed to pull off a trade with the Kings or Hornets for Afflalo, that could leave us with:

SG: Oladipo / ?

This will give us talent at each position to develop and nurture into future stars and/or role players. Fast forward a season and we land another lottery pick plus two second round picks. Let's say we draft Mario Hezonja around the #10 mark. Not going to guess what we get in the second round. That leaves us with:

SG: Oladipo / Hezonja

With the 2014/15 season of development under our players belts, plus the addition of Hezonja and two other draft picks, we will have the base of a talented team that could push on for the 7th or 8th seed. We will have cap space for free agents if desired. Now if Saric comes back after one season, we can add him into the above rotation at SF or PF giving us extra depth and quality. That would be a good situation to come back into, plus he'd have a years worth of development under his belt in Europe.

If he stays a second season in Europe during the 2015/16 season, he will hopefully be coming to a team that will have got back into the play offs. So again, he will be coming into a good situation, with more experience and be a contributor. It might not be an ideal pick right now to stash a player, but someone of Saric's talent could be useful a couple of seasons down the line for a run at the play offs. Plus, you never know if he decides to come over straight away if it looks likely he could start from day one, or play major mins.

My only reasons for disappointment is purely from a lack of patience. We've been waiting for this draft for so long and with the excitement of getting two lottery picks, I want to see both of them playing this season, not wait a season or two. I understand there could be greater benefits in waiting for a Nurkic or Saric but I want the instant gratification hahaha.