LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

no because victor has proven himself as a two way player in the nba. I would not be suprised if we started victor as the pg of the future. I am not saying I would profer it (exum and smart are high on my board), but I can see it happen. Remember, henni was with okc and they developed westbrook.

I can see us trading AA for smart 7-10.

embiid (2nd pick)/ Oquin

Nick / Harris

Harkless / McBuckets (12th pick)

Victor / lamb

smart (8th pick)/ Nelson

Nickolson/aa for smart plus trash.

Or we just keep a 20 point scorer and package nicholson and the 12th pick to move up.

OR we just hope ennise falls to 12th.

Embiid / Quinn

Nick / Harris

AA / Harkless

Victor / Lamb

Ennise / Nelson

Not bad.

I wasnt saying an even swap. I think Oladipo will net us a future but protected first and a third pick in the top 12.

Along with the Smart/Randle Scenario, I have another question - for what pick and what player do we trade AA in the draft? If Marcus Smart drops to the 8th position, do we trade the #12 and AA to move up?

I additionally have to remember that I recently read Russell Westbrook was viewed as a "stretch pick" by the Thunder at the time (when Henni was with them), so I equally wouldn't be surprised if we traded up to pick someone none of us had thought highly of.

MP, you have to post more:

Jacque Vaughn decided to experiment with him as an occasional point guard. The results of this experiment were predictably mixed, with Oladipo sporting a sky-high turnover percentage but also occasionally flashing passing skills that nobody knew he had. He wound up with six games of double-digit assists, including a triple-double against the 76ers and a 30-point, nine-rebound, 14-assist masterpiece in a double-overtime comeback victory against the Knicks.

He was one of six players to play at least 50 minutes in a game twice this season; one of only 32 rookies ever to average at least 13 points, four rebounds, and four assists per game (and of those players, he did it in the fewest minutes per game); and he’s unofficially the only NBA player with YouTube videos of himself singing both

and Bill Withers tracks, and actually holding his own.

As if that weren’t enough, his rookie numbers are positively Westbrookian. If the Magic take nothing else from this season, they were lucky enough to snag Oladipo, who all by his lonesome justified my watching far too many of their games.

http://grantland.com...ye-to-all-that/

Of the guys on our roster who are still here next season, if not for a trade/buyout...

My keepers:

Oladipo (Has the potential to be a Wade/Westbrook-lite player. Huge motor. Might be moved to permanent SG role when/if we draft a solid PG with our 12th pick.)

O'Quinn (Hustle type of player. Never gives up. Awesome team player/lockerroom glue-guy every top team needs.)

Harris (so much upside, could be a killer elite-6thman if we draft an SF or PF with our top pick. He seems fine with it.)

Vucevic (Rebounding machine with range, doesn't need the ball on offense and doesn't see himself as the focal point on offense, but uses his touches decently. Good post moves. Needs a D-minded PF next to him though. HUGE piece on a contending team.)

My tradeables:

Afflalo (Get a solid piece for him while he's worth one or two - He will be on his last legs when we'll be back on top, plus he deserves to be on a better team while he can still contribute)

Lamb (Replaceable)

Maxiell (Old)

My somewhereinbetweeners:

Harkless (Shows flashes, then disappears - Most likely because of age/rotations)

Nicholson (See above, just older, but add insanely good post moves/range. Both are much closer to "keepers" than "tradeables" at this point, but we might need to add one of the two to make a trade happen.)

My respectables:

Nelson (Let him retire here as a sign of respect. We cry "traitor" and ask where the loyalty is when a player wants out and get sour when a player doesn't want to sign here. Here's a guy who's been here from a lottery team, to a Finals team, to a lottery team. He wants to be here yet we don't seem to value his loyalty (as a fanbase). Let's lead by example by being loyal to him.)

• Upvote 1

Niels Giffey is a guy I'm looking at as an undrafted free agent. Competes on defense, can shoot, makes simple plays, won't have to adjust to being a roleplayer since he was a roleplayer at UConn.

Of the guys on our roster who are still here next season, if not for a trade/buyout...

My keepers:

Oladipo (Has the potential to be a Wade/Westbrook-lite player. Huge motor. Might be moved to permanent SG role when/if we draft a solid PG with our 12th pick.)

O'Quinn (Hustle type of player. Never gives up. Awesome team player/lockerroom glue-guy every top team needs.)

Harris (so much upside, could be a killer elite-6thman if we draft an SF or PF with our top pick. He seems fine with it.)

Vucevic (Rebounding machine with range, doesn't need the ball on offense and doesn't see himself as the focal point on offense, but uses his touches decently. Good post moves. Needs a D-minded PF next to him though. HUGE piece on a contending team.)

My tradeables:

Afflalo (Get a solid piece for him while he's worth one or two - He will be on his last legs when we'll be back on top, plus he deserves to be on a better team while he can still contribute)

Lamb (Replaceable)

Maxiell (Old)

My somewhereinbetweeners:

Harkless (Shows flashes, then disappears - Most likely because of age/rotations)

Nicholson (See above, just older, but add insanely good post moves/range. Both are much closer to "keepers" than "tradeables" at this point, but we might need to add one of the two to make a trade happen.)

My respectables:

Nelson (Let him retire here as a sign of respect. We cry "traitor" and ask where the loyalty is when a player wants out and get sour when a player doesn't want to sign here. Here's a guy who's been here from a lottery team, to a Finals team, to a lottery team. He wants to be here yet we don't seem to value his loyalty (as a fanbase). Let's lead by example by being loyal to him.)

Agree with everything. I still think we need to hold onto Harkless a little longer because he's only 21 and I think his mental toughness will come in time to keep him in game and aggressive. He's very much another "glue" guy because he's crazy athletic and a lock-down defender if he wants it. Nicolson is my tradeable piece, but unfortunatley we won't get much in return. He's a solid back-up who brings in points but is a defensive liability.

Nelson retiring with the Magic is 100% if he wants to. I would be perfectly fine with him take his final "good years" with someone else and coming back to the Magic front office when he's done.

If Marcus Smart drops to the 8th position, do we trade the #12 and AA to move up?

We really need to package AA and wonk to get in the top 8. I think this is the one move that vastly changes the franchise. To me, the top 8 is a step above the rest, in no particular order; Embiid, Wiggins, Parker, Exum, Smart, Randle, Venloh and Gordan. To get two of those would set us up for the future. Add one great (not necessarily superstar) FA and fill the roster with the future 1st we're owed and we're in great shape fiscally and talent wise for a loong time

The Bulls think they have a shot at Melo but they need to clear up a lot of space, I wonder if we could get involved and take Dunleavy's contract in return for their 1st rounder (getting them out from under it's cap hold also). Then we have picks 12 and 19 and we might be able to move up to maybe #10 or something without trading Afflalo (who I don't think we'll trade). Probably won't happen but just a thought.

The Bulls think they have a shot at Melo but they need to clear up a lot of space, I wonder if we could get involved and take Dunleavy's contract in return for their 1st rounder (getting them out from under it's cap hold also). Then we have picks 12 and 19 and we might be able to move up to maybe #10 or something without trading Afflalo (who I don't think we'll trade). Probably won't happen but just a thought.

I'd just rather trade Afflalo to be honest, and keep the 12th

You realize that is a compilation of his first 9 college games, right? SSS ring a bell? He has improved greatly and still looks darn good in that video. Every single 'weakness' showed him getting triple teamed, at the least. Not a convincing argument there.

Also, in the 'below the rim' part, aside from being triple-quadruple teamed, he also got the offensive rebound in all but two...and a third which was a turnover before a good shot. Once again...not a good argument against him if thats the weakness you find.

The biggest concern is finishing shots, the infamous “one-footers” that drove UK coach John Calipari crazy late in the regular season.

“With him not having that great wing span that typical high draft picks have there is a concern that he might have trouble finishing at the rim in the league. He had stretches where he missed a lot of shots, especially in the SEC Tournament. That’s a concern because that’s his strength.”

http://kentucky.247sports.com/Article/Learn-what-NBA-thinks-of-UKs-Randle-and-Young-warts-all-28182294

I doubt in this draft that the Bulls will just "give away" a 12th pick to clear cap space. Maybe the 19th pick, but certainly not the 12th pick. If anything, they will trade players once they are sure that Melo will sign with them for a certain amount. "You say yes, we'll make it happen," type of thing.

What is our cap situation? Clearly we are way under, but after this season, we're on the books to pay Harkless/Harris/Vuc, aren't we?

I doubt in this draft that the Bulls will just "give away" a 12th pick to clear cap space. Maybe the 19th pick, but certainly not the 12th pick. If anything, they will trade players once they are sure that Melo will sign with them for a certain amount. "You say yes, we'll make it happen," type of thing.

What is our cap situation? Clearly we are way under, but after this season, we're on the books to pay Harkless/Harris/Vuc, aren't we?

We already have the 12th pick. The Bulls have the 19th pick.