LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Oladipo was never going to be a PG

I'm not so sure anyone ever truly knew this, and I'm not so sure we know it now.

Basically. Making sweeping generalizations during a player's rookie season is always a very enlightened approach.

For the record Exum is almost 4 years younger than MCW and is probably already as good as him if not better. (certainly has the potential to be A LOT better than him)

The age difference could be a factor, but I do not know with the little available information on Exum that you could say that he is probably already as good. Until he plays enough games against the same competition MCW has I would be holding off on evaluating him (this is why I think the risk may out do the reward). I agree with the potential being there (from the limited time I have seen him compete for Australia). I just can't jump on his bandwagon.

In regards to Exum... Talent is good but I would rather pick up a Coach K Parker or a Coach Self Wggins... Someone who had a good coaching before coming to the Magic.

Dwight could of used a good college coach in the worst way. And when you look at overseas players their coaches are different, have a different style.

Personally after Fran, I don't want anymore over seas players. That was a waisted 10th pick that could of been used.

Hi Guy,

I'm an Australian Magic supporter and I only get to see the odd magic game. However, watching this year I've been relatively impressed with Oladipo so far and was thinking that he is a long term future star guard.

But then I read this and started to wonder if I just haven't seen enough Magic basketball to draw such a conclusion.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/the-dirtiest-dozen--12-nba-teams-that-have-no-reason-to-win-another-game-this-year-221606432.html

"As it stands, Hennigan’s team entered a rebuilding year in 2012-13 without a high end lottery pick, and it had to use the end result of that terrible season on a second overall selection in Victor Oladipo that doesn’t really seem like a star in the making."

Reading this in the context of the rest of the article, it implies to me that Oladipo is somewhat of a failure unworthy of a number 2 pick.

So I initially thought that we would be drafting with the objective of finding Oladipo a star partner for the future. But reading this, should we be looking at best available even if it results in the drafting of a direct competitor for Oladipo and being open to trading him?

In regards to Exum... Talent is good but I would rather pick up a Coach K Parker or a Coach Self Wggins... Someone who had a good coaching before coming to the Magic.

Dwight could of used a good college coach in the worst way. And when you look at overseas players their coaches are different, have a different style.

Personally after Fran, I don't want anymore over seas players. That was a waisted 10th pick that could of been used.

i'm glad a pick from nearly a decade ago still clouds your judgement.