LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Drafting for need is how you get in trouble though. When you're talking about a guy with the potential/upside of Embiid, you could make the argument that this sort of news has an impact on nearly every team.

Very true but drafting potential and upside can get you in trouble as well. Say it we pick 5th and Wiggins, Parker, Randle, and Exum are gone, I'm definitely picking Smart over Embiid.

Welp, it is probably in the team's best interest that you are not the GM then.

Welp, it is probably in the team's best interest that you are not the GM then.

Yep just like most people on here laughed when a month before the draft I called us getting Oladipo with our pick. 70% of the board was calling for Noel and McLemore when I knew they weren't going to be the pick. Henny likes dudes that can play right now; not projects.

Yep just like most people on here laughed when a month before the draft I called us getting Oladipo with our pick. 70% of the board was calling for Noel and McLemore when I knew they weren't going to be the pick. Henny likes dudes that can play right now; not projects.

Calling one draft pick doesn't mean anything.

Also on the "henny doesn't like projects" front, Harkless was clearly a project, trying to play Oladipo at PG is a project and Smart is a project anyway since he can't shoot and has a suspect handle.

I think we are perfect position to take a project. I know a few of our guys aren't long term solutions for their positions but we have got a reasonable starting line up.

Calling one draft pick doesn't mean anything.

Also on the "henny doesn't like projects" front, Harkless was clearly a project, trying to play Oladipo at PG is a project and Smart is a project anyway since he can't shoot and has a suspect handle.

I'm talking more of the players that Henny has drafted. I agree that playing Oladipo at PG was a project but as a player he was already NBA ready to play SG. Not many college players come in great shooters anyway. George, Derozan, Rose, Leonard, Westbrook, etc came into the league not being able to shoot very well but now they do.

I think we are perfect position to take a project. I know a few of our guys aren't long term solutions for their positions but we have got a reasonable starting line up.

Do you think Harris can be a long term answer at PF?

The Embiid news is tough for him and us http://truebluenation.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif[

Maybe not. If he stays in the draft and teams have significant concerns about his back one could see him slipping like Noel did. Teams with a second lottery pick could make a move and pick him up and get a potential star in the 6-10 range. Teams like Orlando could also trade Affalo and our second first rounder to move up into that range. I know Henny may be gun shy with injured players but the risk/reward may be too large for him to pass up. That being said, who knows what the medical reports will say to sway teams to pass him up for more sure fire players like Exum, Smart, Wiggins and Parker and the like. My point is there are a lot of solid future NBA all stars in this years draft why take a chance in the top 5 if you can get one of them. We shall see. It would be nice to see an Exum/healthy Embiid combo like Penny/Shaq.

If the Magic are tanking next season, and it won't surprise me if they do, I could see them taking a flyer on Embiid if he comes out similar to the Noel situation in Philly. This becomes an even more likely scenario if the Magic are able to package Afflalo to improve their second first round pick and Embiid does slip. Granted there are a lot of things that have to happen for this scenario to occur but its not impossible.

If the Magic are tanking next season, and it won't surprise me if they do, I could see them taking a flyer on Embiid if he comes out similar to the Noel situation in Philly. This becomes an even more likely scenario if the Magic are able to package Afflalo to improve their second first round pick and Embiid does slip. Granted there are a lot of things that have to happen for this scenario to occur but its not impossible.

We won't tank next year, we'll just play the season out and see how many wins the young guys can produce.