LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Drafting a worse player because we have low self esteem is irrational. That's something a bottom tier organization does and it tells other players "don't come here. We aren't prepared to hang with elite teams. We just want nice guys who won't leave us. "

no question you still draft him (if he indeed is the best player).

But $150m before even playing a game?! that is insane pressure/expectation. I don't even think Lebron got that much.

We shouldn't draft what's supposedly the best player in years because his been offered a huge contract by addidas?

But what's more confusing is how do you get the assumption that he has a big ego from that? and then how does this effect if he'd leave us in 5 years?

Wiggins is a pretty relaxed guy. I'm more worried about his ability to dominate in the NBA than his personality.

And I want Wiggins/Randle/Parker. Anyone else would be slightly disappointing

From what I've seen Randle is horrible defensively, obviously I want to see him again in college and how he improves under Calipari but I'm pretty confident he'd get man handled by Dirk.

As far as Wiggins goes. If he already has a huge endorsement deal doesn't that make him less likely to leave a small market?

And there's no question you still draft him if he's available.

Randle needs to stop thinking he's a Small Forward

Exactly, right now the guy's like Josh Smith without the defense which isn't a great player by any means. The problem for Randle really is that he's a small PF. He's 6'9 or 6'10 with a wingspan less than 7' (both Parker and Wiggins have a larger wingspan and Parker is similar height) so he's always goin to have a problem with bigger PFs and, despite his athleticism, he's not likely to be an elite shot blocker.

I agree with your opening comment but can you really blame a Magic fan for being a little nervous?

Yes. Yes we can.

He'd be here for a minimum of 5 years. Like, that's the very least he would be here if we drafted him, unless we traded him for something.

Being "nervous" is nuts, particularly when you're talking about passing on a player because of the endorsement contract he might get.

Also and I am not reading back if the Magic draft a max guy after his rookie deal the Magic would be the only team that could give them the full max. None of these guys leave after their first deal not even Dwight and Lebron. At a minimum you will get a franchise type guy for 7 years not 5.

I wonder how Adidas will react when Wiggins has a couple 12 point games. Right now Wiggins has a much higher chance of being a Paul George analog than a LeBron.

What makes you say that? (not disputing, just interested)

Exactly, right now the guy's like Josh Smith without the defense which isn't a great player by any means. The problem for Randle really is that he's a small PF. He's 6'9 or 6'10 with a wingspan less than 7' (both Parker and Wiggins have a larger wingspan and Parker is similar height) so he's always goin to have a problem with bigger PFs and, despite his athleticism, he's not likely to be an elite shot blocker.

Yeah, I was kinda surprised when I found out that Jabari was only 6'8''. He looked enormous during HS games and interviews. The NBA is a different ball park