LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

i'm excited watching that smart video. I remember i was so disappointed when he announced he was going to stay in school. but that really probably works out in our favor in this stacked draft next year. hopefully it will come down to having someone wiggins/randall type of guy available when we pick adn still have smart on teh board. nice problems.

I'm preparing myself, because we've been in this honeymoon period of of just acquiring young potential, and soon we'll come to the packaging them with vets and making deals with them for sustainability so it will be a little sad when we start throwing in some of these guys with BBDs and Jameers and things like that. Unnavoidable, but it's coming soon.

I just don't know what everyone sees in Marcus Smart. 90% of his highlights are him shooting, and a good portion is him in the post. Of course this is okay, but he will not be able to do these things in the NBA. I never understood a shoot first point guard. What happened to the days of Stockton type point guards? I do not understand. I'd prefer Dante Exum all day.

I just don't know what everyone sees in Marcus Smart. 90% of his highlights are him shooting, and a good portion is him in the post. Of course this is okay, but he will not be able to do these things in the NBA. I never understood a shoot first point guard. What happened to the days of Stockton type point guards? I do not understand. I'd prefer Dante Exum all day.

Guys like Stockton, Nash, and Jason Kidd are a rare breed, not the norm. You get like one of them every decade. These days any one of them would get blasted coming out of college for playing "below the rim".

Well nobody wants to watch a highlight video full of rebounds and defense and those are two of the things Smart is best at. Not really sure why Smart won't be able to play in the post in the NBA, he outweighs most, if not all PG's in the NBA and is above average in terms of length, him playing in the post could easily open up opportunities for big men who can stretch the floor when he draws the help defense.

You never understood a shoot first PG but go on to say you'd prefer Dante Exum who is equally shoot first. (Although I do agree that I'd rather have Exum I just like them both)

If you'd like a PG in this draft there won't be a pass-first PG on offer. (There may be at least one in 2015 but thats a long time away)

he is 6'4 230 and a great defender at pg. He gets to the ft line and is young. I am waiting to see if he improves this year in college. I think victor is going to be great, so I am happy with the way things went this year. But on defense, smart and victor would be nasty.

I am not fond of his shooting % or turnover, but those are easier to fix than size.

Well, they started in 1984 and ended in 2003, and existed entirely on one team.

Well played. I meant that a pass first point guard would be better fit to our roster. Really, if Vic works out at point guard we may not need or want to take any of these guys. If this is the case, Im hoping for Wiggins/Randle and Mitch McGary with the 2nd first rounder.

The consistent overrating of the mythical pass-first point guard is astonishing, I suppose it's why Kendall Marshall was drafted in the lottery inspite of the fact he's barely good enough to crack a D-League roster.

he is 6'4 230 and a great defender at pg. He gets to the ft line and is young. I am waiting to see if he improves this year in college. I think victor is going to be great, so I am happy with the way things went this year. But on defense, smart and victor would be nasty.

I am not fond of his shooting % or turnover, but those are easier to fix than size.

Not a problem if we bring back our point forward :shard:

The consistent overrating of the mythical pass-first point guard is astonishing, I suppose it's why Kendall Marshall was drafted in the lottery inspite of the fact he's barely good enough to crack a D-League roster.

You know, I'd say nowadays most have wised (or in my case just wizened) somewhat and prefer all-around point guards, especially if their franchises don't have another player to build around.

That being said, most still prefer drafting that pass-first point and later developing his shot rather than the other way around, but there is seemingly always more "can't miss" talent with the "other" crowd, so proving this trend would be difficult if not impossible (which is why I bring it up :D/>). Of course if a player lacks quickness and doesn't fit the team (really the two main issues with Marshall and also something that worries people with Smart, though to different extents and, of course, we're talking about two totally different players/situations), it's probably best to look elsewhere.

Preseason starts in three weeks. I'll be looking forward to seeing everyone back by then. Go Magic.