Sign in to follow this  
jack daniel 999

Turk - Back-up or Starter ?

quote:
Originally posted by Erik:

quote:
Originally posted by Rob:

Now lets say your starters were Nelson Ariza Turkoglu Lewis Howard and you were playing the Nuggets and they threw a starting lineup like AI Smith Anthony Kmart Camby. Who guards who?

Nelson guards AI, Ariza Guards Anthony, Turk guards Smith, Lewis guards Kmart,Dwight Guards Camby. Imo, ariza guards the strongest offensive player from the other team from 1-4 depending on size,much like Bowen in San Antonio.

This is a perfect example of what I was talking about earlier.

You are only looking at this from one side.

You answered "who guards who" from one direction, but not the other. This is the "Brian Hill trap". You have what seems to be match-up problems on the defensive end, so you immediately make a change instead of taking advantage of the mis-matches that now exist on the other end of the court.

Let's take a look at the opposite end of the court.

Obviously AI would guard Nelson, and Camby would guard Dwight.

That means K-Mart has to try and guard Ariza, Lewis or Turk. He has ZERO chance of stopping any of them !!!

The key is to take bigger advantage of YOUR mis-match than theirs.

If the personnel on the floor are not doing that, then you go ahead and make a change.

But don't make the change simply because you have a mis-match at one end of the floor without evaluating if you have an equal or better mis-match on the opposite end.

Last Updated: Sep 13th, 2007 - 10:45:33

Magic: Will Turkoglu Get Lost In The Shuffle?

By Jarrod N. Rudolph

for HOOPSWORLD.com

In less than a month the Orlando Magic will play their first preseason game. On paper the team has improved but that improvement may be counter productive to certain players

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

quote:
Originally posted by Erik:

quote:
Originally posted by Rob:

Now lets say your starters were Nelson Ariza Turkoglu Lewis Howard and you were playing the Nuggets and they threw a starting lineup like AI Smith Anthony Kmart Camby. Who guards who?

Nelson guards AI, Ariza Guards Anthony, Turk guards Smith, Lewis guards Kmart,Dwight Guards Camby. Imo, ariza guards the strongest offensive player from the other team from 1-4 depending on size,much like Bowen in San Antonio.

This is a perfect example of what I was talking about earlier.

You are only looking at this from one side.

You answered "who guards who" from one direction, but not the other. This is the "Brian Hill trap". You have what seems to be match-up problems on the defensive end, so you immediately make a change instead of taking advantage of the mis-matches that now exist on the other end of the court.

Let's take a look at the opposite end of the court.

Obviously AI would guard Nelson, and Camby would guard Dwight.

That means K-Mart has to try and guard Ariza, Lewis or Turk. He has ZERO chance of stopping any of them !!!

The key is to take bigger advantage of YOUR mis-match than theirs.

If the personnel on the floor are not doing that, then you go ahead and make a change.

But don't make the change simply because you have a mis-match at one end of the floor without evaluating if you have an equal or better mis-match on the opposite end.

Why would i care who the throw at our lineup. All i would be concerned about is who we should defend. I stated the above question to see how people would defend that lineup with those Magic starters. Not them defending us. We already said that Hedo and Rashard would be the wings and Nelson would run the point, Ariza and Howard would control the paint. Mello will guard Lewis and Smith will guard Turk, Kmart will guard Ariza and of course Camby would guard Howard. All i was saying is defensively speaking, that Magic lineup will not be that good for defense for like 2 positions. Whoever guards Smith or Martin will get tooken advantage of especially if Ariza is on Mello. That team has too many offensive weapons to throw at teams. But defensively their nothing.

Also

Zero chance!!!!! What!!!!!!! When Kmart is healthy, i wouldnt sleep on him. That guy is a beast. He is at 100% for as health now and hes gonna show it when the season starts. I wish we had him. I guess Turk and Lewis defense is better than i thought then. Kmart is not done. Dont worry, with that lineup we will find out the hard way. That Denver squad is unreal anyways. Its almost like cheating.

When did you see Kmart in a gym recently that you can make a statement like he is 100% healthy?

Also, Shard is ultra athletic which is the first and leats important aspect of defensive ability. The second aspect is determination. I think all he needs is a coach, like SVG, that will hold him accountable for playing defense.

As for Turk, I know it's been a few years, but remember when he was brought off the bench in Sacramento as their defensive stopper? Remember last year when he clamped down on Paul Pierce so fiercely that PP resorted o flopping out of bounds to get that ridiculous foul call? He can play defense.

I see Turk blasted for defense too much and too often.

He can play solid defense, he has done it before, he can do it again. Smack I remember him in Sacramento. He was wonderful...I think that this year with a reduced role(minutes, bench) he will be back to that. Which will make him more valuable.

We have two very good SF in Lewis and Turk. We won't have to worry about production decline when one subs the other. I like that problem...

Turk can start and would start for a lot of teams, but I think he likes the role of the bench.

In other news....this is getting boring.

Turk is kicking butt in European Championship this summer. He should be a starter.

Name Team G Points Avg

1. Nowitzki, D. GER 7 157 22.4

2. T

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

When did you see Kmart in a gym recently that you can make a statement like he is 100% healthy?

Also, Shard is ultra athletic which is the first and leats important aspect of defensive ability. The second aspect is determination. I think all he needs is a coach, like SVG, that will hold him accountable for playing defense.

As for Turk, I know it's been a few years, but remember when he was brought off the bench in Sacramento as their defensive stopper? Remember last year when he clamped down on Paul Pierce so fiercely that PP resorted o flopping out of bounds to get that ridiculous foul call? He can play defense.

Ok Smack, NBA.com Kenyon Martin video called: Kmart NBA Life I ll lead you to the page.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kenyon_martin/index.html

I never bring up an arguement if i dont have stats or video to back me up. K Mart has only 3% body fat now. Hes gonna be much quicker now. K Mart is 100% now, hes ready to do what he does best. No way in h e ll Lewis or Turk will be able to guard him. Hes to physical for them. Turk feet to slow and his defense isnt all that. And Lewis just might get better in defense, but hes still soft.

Rob, you need to go back and watch the video again. The 3% body fat is referred to as a goal. The video that I saw on you link is a rehab session back in March. It didn't seem to show any indication of whether his mobility will be there this season.

I do agree that Turk can't defend most PF in the league, and that asking him and/or Shard to do it would wipe them out on the offensive end.

quote:
Originally posted by jmmagicfan:

Rob, you need to go back and watch the video again. The 3% body fat is referred to as a goal. The video that I saw on you link is a rehab session back in March. It didn't seem to show any indication of whether his mobility will be there this season.

I do agree that Turk can't defend most PF in the league, and that asking him and/or Shard to do it would wipe them out on the offensive end.

http://kenyon-martin-news.newslib.com/story/980-3114090/

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_6569019

HES READY. I showed the workout he did in March because he was moving ok then. What do you think hes moving like now. Hes ready.