Sign in to follow this  
Erik

Anyone else a manager?

I am a manager at a local Rent-To-Own Company,and have been for about 2 years,the hardes thing in being in managment is managing people,I manage a group of people that I get along with probably to well,and i'm a pretty easy going person,so it's hard to get anyone to do anything when needed to. My employee's think that it's hangout time all the time,and when it's time to do work,all they do is b i t c h and moan about it. I wanna know those anyone else have this problem? Any ideas? P.S. currentley I am at work in my office,and my employees are sitting on a couch on the sales floor watching transformers. Am I to Leaniant?

I am a manager at a local Rent-To-Own Company,and have been for about 2 years,the hardes thing in being in managment is managing people,I manage a group of people that I get along with probably to well,and i'm a pretty easy going person,so it's hard to get anyone to do anything when needed to. My employee's think that it's hangout time all the time,and when it's time to do work,all they do is b i t c h and moan about it. I wanna know those anyone else have this problem? Any ideas? P.S. currentley I am at work in my office,and my employees are sitting on a couch on the sales floor watching transformers. Am I to Leaniant?

This sounds like the plot for "The 40 Year Old Virgin, Part 2."

In all seriousness, there is nothing wrong with having a relaxed atmosphere and there is nothing wrong with being a "buddy boss."

The problem is when "buddy boss" becomes "pushover boss."

Generally, fun should occur AFTER work is done. You may need to make an example of someone, or at least hold a meeting and explain to them that having fun at work is preferable, providing that work is actually getting done. If the work is suffering, then changes should be made. These changes don't have to be personnel changes, but they should be procedural changes.

That's true LODM, I beleive in having a fun atmosphere,as long as the work don't suffer,I just don't wanna cross the line from being a "buddy boss" to being a pushover. Funny you said Buddy Boss!

As a civilian you have one advantage that I don't Erik. I would start off with LOD's advice and hold a meeting to clearly lay out your expectations. If after the meeting, the problem continues...pick out your worst performer and make an example of him. I would still pull him into the office to fire him (so you don't look like a complete jerk) but the message will be sent. Look at it this way, its only a matter of time before your boss starts holding you accountable for their actions.

Unfortunately, I don't have the option to fire subpar workers. I have to start the very slow process of trying to get them discharged (and that's assuming they get in trouble when not on duty).

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

Unfortunately, I don't have the option to fire subpar workers. I have to start the very slow process of trying to get them discharged (and that's assuming they get in trouble when not on duty).

Is it just me or did that sound like a Dwight Schrute comment?

But Erik I think a meeting would be the best thing, I wouldnt just go ahead and fire someone until maybe a week after the meeting if they are still screwin around all day.

I work at Home Depot and I am in the complete opposite situation, my boss is on my case even when I am going above and beyond to do my job. So Erik if your hiring man, and have room for a broke College student, let me know lol.

quote:
Originally posted by DLO:

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

Is it just me or did that sound like a Dwight Schrute comment?

Wow. I just read that back in my mind, picturing Schrute sitting in the office by that little window giving his testimonial to the film crew. That is absolutely a comment he would make!

I have been managing people for 15 years and have found that you have to be straight with people.

I don't make busy work for people when it is slow, but they need to know that when it is busy the work needs to get done. I don't scream, yell or try to embarrass them in front of others. But if they are f'ing around too much, I take them a side and let them know what I see.

You have to find a happy medium between screamer boss and pushover boss.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

But if they are f'ing around too much, I take them a side and let them know what I see.

Take a look at Bhnole's avatar if you want to know what he does to his employees who are f'ing around too much.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

But if they are f'ing around too much, I take them a side and let them know what I see.

Take a look at Bhnole's avatar if you want to know what he does to his employees who are f'ing around too much.

In slow motion and everything?