Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

BREAKING NEWS:Vick pleads Guilty

I was watching NFL Live and Emmitt Smith said he thinks that Mike Vick might come back as a Slot Reciever or Kick/Punt Returner.

All in all though i think we can agree that it really sucks to be Mike Vick right now.

That **** is Not Cool!

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

Question: How much does race have to do with the press all this is getting? Would Peyton Manning doing the same thing get the same reaction?

C'mon man. Don't start this crap. I think yes, it would. Probably even moreso since Manning had a clean slate prior.

Don't involve race. Race is stupid. People are people. People are stupid as well. That's all there is to it.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:

Question: How much does race have to do with the press all this is getting? Would Peyton Manning doing the same thing get the same reaction?

C'mon man. Don't start this crap. I think yes, it would. Probably even moreso since Manning had a clean slate prior.

Don't involve race. Race is stupid. People are people. People are stupid as well. That's all there is to it.

I'm not evoking race at all... I was just asking the question to see what others think...

quote:

It does seem that Vick has unwavering support from the African American community in Atlanta that seems to go way past the usual fan loyalty. The feds could have a video of Vick doing these terrible things (come to think of it that's not entirely out of the question) and some people would still believe he is being set up.

I don't believe Peyton or any white player would be given the benefit of the doubt like that.

quote:
I don't believe Peyton or any white player would be given the benefit of the doubt like that.

With the small vocal minority that you are talking about, yes, you are right. As for the overall picture it seems like it wouldn't matter if it were Vick or Manning, this proves more then anything that if it bleeds... It leads.

We must remember why they, although many times misguided, always stand behind people like Vick... In a community where injustice has been a part of life for hundreds of years, the idea is to stand by your people no matter what... For every one time something like this happens and the African-American community stands behind their man... 100 bias juries, unfair prosecutors, judges, police, etc. have made their world seem as if they cannot get ahead. Thus, if one of theirs can beat the system... Well, that is a start. Why do you think the black community was so happy with OJ getting off? It wasn't so much that they thought he was innocent as much as they were surprised that a black man beat the system.

The element here that makes this different is the whole cruelty to animals thing and the idea that money was being made off of it.

If this were a person on person crime, especially if it involved people of different races, then I could see race playing a bigger role.

But also, I think the press frenzy is also due to the fact that Vick is such a huge name. He is the biggest luminary in the biggest city in the South. He was the face of the NFL for a while. Had this been the third string fullback for the Green Bay Packers, it wouldn't be such a national story.

quote:

I think the press is fair in this case because off the top of my head there are only a handful of guys who seem to be marketable in the NFL. I think there are only 2 other guys who could do the same thing and it would be as big of a story and they are Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. These guys with Vick are the 3 most polarizing figures in the NFL and the ones that are marketed the most. They seem to have a certain celebrity that goes beyond the football field so I think the media/press coverage would be as strong for these guys. Now if a 2nd tier guy like say Carson Palmer was involved in this then yes ESPN would be on top of it but it would not be splashed all over CNN, FoxNews, etc.

Now if you want to get into racial support I really do not know if it would be the same/better/worse for Peyton. Mike Vick seems to have alot of support from the African-American community in Atlanta. I heard Terrance Moore (african-american writer for the AJC) on ESPN last night and he said he attends one of the largest African-American churches in Atlanta (16,000 people) and the overwhelming majority support Mike Vick and think the media coverage has been unfair. He also said that if you supported Mike Vick before this then you are probably still a fan of his and if you did not support him then it obvious you do not support him now. Now I do not know if this support is an Atlanta thing or does this carry over the United States. I would have to see reports from say New York, LA, Chicago to see what their African-American communities think about this.

It would be interesting to see what kind of support Peyton would get though but in all honesty I do not know.

I agree with LOD. While the crime is horrendous, the name alone is what makes the story.

On the race thing, sorry WP, I didn't mean to make it sound like I went crazy about it. I've just read too much crap about how "Vick is a black man and thats why this is happening". Vick is a human being. He did a horrible thing. He will now pay for it.

Vick or Manning would have the same type of publicity. DeDe Dorsey and Heath Evans would not. It's a sad world when the only time we care about things like this is when it involves other plotlines and names.

Edit: BTW, i'm sick of seeing Atlanta fans stick by Vick because he's their "star football player". Are these people that ignorant? And don't even get me started on the people who say "there just dogs".

quote:
BTW, i'm sick of seeing Atlanta fans stick by Vick because he's their "star football player"

The funny thing is that Vick is a horrible QB. Every year he is statistically among the worst starters in the NFL. Sure, he can run for a few yards, but you are still going to lose if you can't complete a pass. If they actually had a better option then Joey Harrington I would argue they are better off.

quote:

quote:
BTW, i'm sick of seeing Atlanta fans stick by Vick because he's their "star football player"

The funny thing is that Vick is a horrible QB. Every year he is statistically among the worst starters in the NFL. Sure, he can run for a few yards, but you are still going to lose if you can't complete a pass. If they actually had a better option then Joey Harrington I would argue they are better off.

I agree. Like I said in another thread about this, I think they are gonna bomb the season and go after Brian Brohm now since Petrino coached him up at Louisville.

I agree with you guys. Mike Vick was never a star qb. He was a star entertainer but he was never going to be able to lead his team to the big one.

They also had a better option than Joey Ballgame he just plays for Houston now.

I agree that Petrino will do everything he can to get Brohm. Has a coach ever gone to the NFL and drafted his own qb from college number one. I do not think it has.