Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

*Gulp* Adonal Foyle released. Should we...get...him?

quote:
I expect that he would not be the only other big picked up between now and the start of the season.

The Magic will want to see Gortat and Augustine get some minutes so that they know what they have, or don't have, in them. So I would expect them to generally be 2 of the 12 that are active for each game (particularly Gortat).

With Foyle, what you get is an insurance policy that you have a veteran big whose skill set is very defined. You know what you got with him.

If the rest of the bigs are healthy, the Magic will probably only want Battie as an experienced big on the active roster because you don't want to slow the tempo of the game down.

Thus I would expect Foyle to be one of the three players that are inactive for the game most of the time.

However if any of the bigs get hurt, it's nice knowing you've got a solid, veteran big to come in and stabilize the situation.

We are finally over the Hill's !!!

well, true, but I think you went too far by saying he'd be used as someone to fill in our roster and not say he'd be used regularly.

I'm pretty sure Gortat will some get PT more regularly than Augustine, as that was part of his demands that he made publicly before signing a contract, especially if we get a decent big man like Foyle.

That said, James and Gortat are far from getting guaranteed minutes regularly, with a proven veteran on our team.

I just don't think we'd risk our whole season just to develop these 2 guys if they prove they can't contribute on a nightly basis.

I would see Foyle as "Augustine-insurance" in case Augie gets some PT and then proceeds to flop.

In any case, he's STILL better than Garrity. Both suck offensively, but at least Foyle can give you some decent minutes on the defensive end of the floor.

If Garrity spends 90% of the season or more on the Inactive List, then we know our team is halfway decent. Like he should of been last season, quite frankly!

(Assuming the Garrity-Evans deal doesn't go down, of course.)

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

quote:
I expect that he would not be the only other big picked up between now and the start of the season.

The Magic will want to see Gortat and Augustine get some minutes so that they know what they have, or don't have, in them. So I would expect them to generally be 2 of the 12 that are active for each game (particularly Gortat).

With Foyle, what you get is an insurance policy that you have a veteran big whose skill set is very defined. You know what you got with him.

If the rest of the bigs are healthy, the Magic will probably only want Battie as an experienced big on the active roster because you don't want to slow the tempo of the game down.

Thus I would expect Foyle to be one of the three players that are inactive for the game most of the time.

However if any of the bigs get hurt, it's nice knowing you've got a solid, veteran big to come in and stabilize the situation.

We are finally over the Hill's !!!

well, true, but I think you went too far by saying he'd be used as someone to fill in our roster and not say he'd be used regularly.

I'm pretty sure Gortat will some get PT more regularly than Augustine, as that was part of his demands that he made publicly before signing a contract, especially if we get a decent big man like Foyle.

That said, James and Gortat are far from getting guaranteed minutes regularly, with a proven veteran on our team.

I just don't think we'd risk our whole season just to develop these 2 guys if they prove they can't contribute on a nightly basis.

Fendi, the point I think you're missing is that I think there will still be another big on the roster that will be getting quite a bit of minutes (for example, Reggie Evans).

So I agree with you that we won't risk our season just to develop those 2 guys.

But when it comes time for garbage minutes, it is more logical to have some young players dressed so that they can get that experience. Giving veterans like Foyle garbage minutes is idiotic (one of the many things that Brian Hill could never comprehend).

quote:
He's a big guy that can block shots and rebound (I think he rejected Trevor a couple of times where he would have almost certainly posterized him), that was something that Darko did and we would really miss. If he can come in and protect the rim and clean up some misses then this would be a big pickup for us.

he did posterize adonal..

http://www.dailymotion.com/tag/Orlando+trevor/video/xvupr_trevor-ariza_sport

quote:
i have a question for anyone who might know the answer. fendi mentioned that darko left and i wonder if he was forced to leave for reasons that no one seems to know. it appeared to me he was improving and trying very hard to play with more energy. also what sgs are available that would really be worth trading hedo for. he could be very valuable as a back up incase of injuries, etc. people have mentioned sgs that i think would be more problems than long term help. jacklj
I don't really think he was forced to leave by the Magic, but by his agent.

I just see it on Real Gm the Magic are courting foyle,so it's probably a good possiblity we will get him,since Otis has ties with him from G State. I still think if we get Foyle we need a big via trade with scoring ability since foyle lacks that,Reggie Evans wouldnt be an option since he pretty much does the same thing.

quote:
Fendi, the point I think you're missing is that I think there will still be another big on the roster that will be getting quite a bit of minutes (for example, Reggie Evans).

But when it comes time for garbage minutes, it is more logical to have some young players dressed so that they can get that experience. Giving veterans like Foyle garbage minutes is idiotic (one of the many things that Brian Hill could never comprehend).

well, true, for garbage minutes it would be ideal to Marcin and James, but how often do those games occur?

Also, looking at what the FA pool has to offer, Webber and PJ (who is being courted by the Mavs, whom we don't have any chance at all since he is looking for the MLE) are probably the notable ones who can play ahead of Foyle. And to say that those 2 are primarily a power forward and not a center. That said, I do believe Foyle will get a decent playing time.

quote:

quote:

well, true, for garbage minutes it would be ideal to Marcin and James, but how often do those games occur?

Also, looking at what the FA pool has to offer, Webber and PJ (who is being courted by the Mavs, whom we don't have any chance at all since he is looking for the MLE) are probably the notable ones who can play ahead of Foyle. And to say that those 2 are primarily a power forward and not a center. That said, I do believe Foyle will get a decent playing time.

And if we don't sign any other big that is better than Foyle before the end of the off-season, I agree with you.

I think Foyle would be the most talented big we can get in FA. The depth of the free agent big men is not superfluous, these bigs will be demanding large numbers.

Thanks for the refresh on that dunk by Trevor Fendi. I could only remember the game in GS where Adonal swatted him.

If we can get to next season or even the trade deadline by picking up a guy like Adonal to hold us over till we can trade for or use our MLE to pickup another 4-5 then this will be a very good pickup. If you are paying the guy minimal money it can only help us out.

I think it also allows us to play a big lineup because he can defend guys in the post freeing up Dwight and keeping him out of foul trouble.

quote:

I think Foyle would be the most talented big we can get in FA. The depth of the free agent big men is not superfluous, these bigs will be demanding large numbers.

Again, I agree that Foyle is the best we can get in FA.

But that doesn't preclude the Magic from obtaining a better big in a trade. Not saying they WILL, but it's a very real possibility.

BTW, I am all in favor of signing Foyle. I'm not "knocking" him at all.

Even if we get Foyle, we could always use him in a package to get somebody better down the road. Think about it.

Turk, a 6'10 shooter who can't play D. Foyle, a defensive "presence". And then maybe Garrity "benchwarmer/expiring contract". Could look attractive to someone at trade deadline this year.