Sign in to follow this  
~O~

Poll/Discussion: Diener/Dooling Maybe The Missing Pieces The Run/Gun Offense

I would of voted yes two months ago when I said Diener was our best true point guard, but it's to late now. We're making a playoff push and we can't continue to change move players around and expect any kind of consistency.

Please vote again because I edited this post to see the responses about Keyon.

I voted yes,yes,keyon. He has more experience and some superb d. You know my feelings on Travis but he needs a little work. What do you expect when he gets limited minutes his first two years in the league?

I personally think Dooling is better suited to come off the bench. He had a good game last night but he shouldn't start because of it. If he starts, our bench becomes incredibly weak. Who's energy and defense would then come off the bench? I rather have Diener start and run our point then bring in the hype man, Dooling.

Really? I think Travis could benefit by getting a good look at how the offense is running before jumping right out there. Nyce, we feel the same way about him but I am not convinced completely that he is ready to start.

Starting Diener would be in my opinion unfair to him. To go from no playing to being a starter is just stacking the cards for him to fail. First off the bench at point would be good enough to begin with. I voted yes, yes Dooling and i'd adjust minutes in a game based on the defensive assignment.

Reality is that Diener will not get a fair shake, even though the offense with him at PG looks as good as it did with Dooling at PG. Yes, Dooling is better defensively, while Diener has a better shot. Both should get minutes at PG, but for whatever reason Hill won't play Diener. Therefore, I hope he gives Dooling big minutes at PG because Jameer is a horrible PG lately.

I expect Diener to leave after the season. I think there will be a lot of interest in him from other teams, who are not as oblivious to the obvious as Hill. I fully expect him to do very well with whatever team gives him a chance, and for us to wonder once again why a good talent went seemingly unrecognized.

quote:
Originally posted by JJZ:

I fully expect him to do very well with whatever team gives him a chance, and for us to wonder once again why a good talent went seemingly unrecognized.

I really hope this vicious cycle ends soon, it is getting OLD.

Reality of the situation under Brian Hill:

JJ-freakin'-Redick, a decorated collegiate player, had to work ALL SEASON on improving his defense to get playing time.

Diener is done for the season. What we don't see is what happens in practice - I'm going out on a limb and will state that Diener probably gets abused on defense in practice. Brian Hill does NOT give players from outside his rotation a chance to play until they prove themselves defensively.

Now, it can be argued that Diener should already be in Hill's rotation anyway, but such is life...

I'd like to look at it this way, practice is like college. The game is when players experience the real NBA when they play against the opposition. We haven't seen Diener get "abused" yet by other PGs while we've seen physically-stronger Jameer get schooled by similarly sized-PGs.

Brian puts way too much emphasis on what he sees in practice. While he focuses on defense so much it's ironic that Nelson got to start most of the season playing little defense.

It's all speculation. Hill simply won't play Diener, whatever the reasons. I think Hill's attitude regarding Diener has cost the team dearly.

I'm not convinced yet that Dooling will solve our PG problems consistently. I'm also not convinced that a shorter rotation will work consistently; it may lead to more fatigue problems at the end of games, especially if we try to be up-tempo.

I continue to believe that leaving Diener out of the equation is a serious mistake, and will cost us more games before this season is over.