Sign in to follow this  
Mat

Esteban Batista

Matais,

After looking at those stats - they do look pretty impressive. I just don't want another Carlos situation on our hands for the message board - although I don't think the message board affects the players that much - I do bet they read the boards though.

I don't think we will get bombarded by Uruguayan fans demanding he start and going crazy over everything he does.

I am all for getting another big man. We may also be able to get something in trade with players.

quote:
Carlos would be the starting point guard with the U.S.A. team if he was born in the U.S.

My friend, Carlos born in the USA. His birth place was Puerto Rico USA.

quote:
Originally posted by Rodriguez:

quote:
Carlos would be the starting point guard with the U.S.A. team if he was born in the U.S.

My friend, Carlos born in the USA. His birth place was Puerto Rico USA.

See I was going to mention it, then thought of letting it go, but now that you did I am comenting....

Any of the players in the Puerto Rico national team could and would be eligible to play for USA basketball....Puerto Rico is another US territory, they enjoy the same benefits as all of you and are natural born citizens, or nationals. If any of our guys was good enough and USA basketball would want them, they could play for the USA. But of course, the guys wouldn't just because of pride. They are proud to play for their little island.

Is like the Carmelo situation. If USA basketball didn't want him, he could have played for PR basketball.

Anyhow....Batista's numbers look very impressive. I think he would be a great addition to the team, but I doubt it would happen. He is young and Otis is looking for veteran help for our already young team. I don't think he wants another project for the team....

and Knappy, you are right, people use the race card, the I don't like you card, etc. etc too much nowadays. We get to a point when we don't think its true or it doesn't happen....But reality is that it does happen. If you look at this guy's numbers in international play, you cannot tell me that he doesn't deserve some playing time.

Even if his production would be half, tell me a 12pts 6rbnd guy wouldn't be used by most if not all teams. We will never know exactly why, but his numbers tell us a different story. He can play and produce. Even though I've never seen him play, in paper he looks good.

quote:
Originally posted by Knappy:

Matais,

After looking at those stats - they do look pretty impressive. I just don't want another Carlos situation on our hands for the message board - although I don't think the message board affects the players that much - I do bet they read the boards though.

I don't think we will get bombarded by Uruguayan fans demanding he start and going crazy over everything he does.

I am all for getting another big man. We may also be able to get something in trade with players.

Knappy, i like the magic and that the reason for i post. Im not from Uruguay or puerto Rico, im from Argentina ok?.

So if im from uruguay or Puerto i don

Put me on the Batista wagon. This kid is ballin' tonight vs. USA. His skills and basketball IQ have been impressive. This is my first time seeing him play and I like what I've seen. He's no DOMINANT player but he's nyce and does the things that count.

Sign Batista and Romel Beck Castro and call our off-season sucessful.

Jameer/Dooling/Arroyo

Beck/JJ/Bogans

Lewis/Ariza/Turk

Batista/Battie/Gortat

Dwight/Foyle/Augustine

yeah he was lightin it up...but what gets me, why can he play so well vs. D12, Amare, and the best players in the world on team USA, but hes been garbage in the NBA vs. okay players...

yeah, he looked good, but im not sold on him yet...

This guy must think he's hot stuff....can you believe he turned down an offer from the Celtics? Either they offered him garbage, or he wasn't going to get any playing time and is looking for some. I guess he is available then. I really would like to have this guy on our team alongside Dwight. Adds even more depth at the bigs spot.

Just wanted to provide you with an update on this, what do you all think about it?

September 19, 2007

Batista update

By Marc Spears, Globe Staff

The agent for Atlanta Hawks free forward-center Esteban Batista said late tonight that his client has declined an offer to sign with the Celtics. Agent Marc Cornstien said this afternoon that the Celtics, Charlotte, Phoenix and Indiana had made contract offers to the 6-foot-10, 270-pounder. While Cornstien said via text message Wednesday night that Batista had turned down Boston, he didn't say why and wouldn't say where his client was leaning now. The Uruguay native played sparingly for Atlanta last season, but averaged a tournament-best 12.4 rebounds and 20.8 points during the recent FIBA Americas Championship in Las Vegas. Celtics executive director of basketball operations Danny Ainge couldn't be reached for comment, but the inquiry on Batista gives the impression that his club is interested in bringing another big man to camp. The Celtics are currently expected to bring 15 players to camp.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/..._update_1.html','28'

him denying the celtics can tell us a few things....

#1 he is looking for some more money...The celts probably offered him the minimum. Or the agent is BSing to get more interest in the guy.

#2 he is looking for playing time and wants to go to a team that will use him. We can use him....

It would be smart for him to sign a one year minimum deal with a second year option. He can play for a team that gives him the playing time, then either resign or up his value..

I would say go for him, but I think he is just looking for more money....He would be a great addition and could probably start for us at PF....I would do it.