Sign in to follow this  
MagicFan4Life

Webber Considering Mavs, Pistons And Magic

NBA TICKER: Webber considers Mavs, Pistons, maybe Magic

July 29, 2007

FREE PRESS STAFF AND NEWS SERVICES

Don't close the door on Chris Webber's tenure with the Pistons just yet.

Although the team's roster sits at 15 players, the maximum heading into the regular season, the words "Webber" and "Pistons" keep popping up in the same sentences.

Advertisement

At his second annual Bada Bling charity event last week in Las Vegas -- which attracted celebrities such as the Pistons' Richard Hamilton, Chauncey Billups, Rasheed Wallace, Tayshaun Prince and Dale Davis, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Carmelo Anthony, rapper Nas and the Isley Brothers -- Slam magazine asked Webber whether he'll re-sign with the Pistons.

"I don't know," he said. "I would love to. Right now, I'm thinking about Detroit and Dallas, so you never know. Watch out for (Lakers assistant coach Brian Shaw), though. He's trying to get me in L.A."

For what it's worth, Webber's father, Mayce, hopes his son sticks around his hometown.

"Yes, I do think Chris should re-sign with Detroit," he told Slam. "Joe Dumars has been good to him, and the fans of Detroit deserve to see Chris finish out his career there. I hope he stays."

But the Mavericks and Magic might have something to say about the situation.

The Ft. Worth Star-Telegram confirmed Tuesday that Webber is on Dallas' list of targets.

Meanwhile, the Orlando Sentinel reported Friday that Magic general manager Otis Smith has talked with Webber and fellow free agent P.J. Brown, among other players, even though Orlando can only offer the veteran's minimum of $1.2 million because of the salary cap.

yep - i read that yesterday and didn't even bother to post it. It doesn't say anything about Webber considering Orlando.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicFan4Life:

Now that I have read the part of the article with the Magic in it, it seems like that to me too. I don't think he has any personal interest in coming since he did not mention us.

Since money is out of the equation, I don't see us being able to compete with Detroit or Dallas. I think he'd be an idiot to go West, but I couldn't blame him for sticking with Detroit.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:
Originally posted by MagicFan4Life:

Now that I have read the part of the article with the Magic in it, it seems like that to me too. I don't think he has any personal interest in coming since he did not mention us.

Since money is out of the equation, I don't see us being able to compete with Detroit or Dallas. I think he'd be an idiot to go West, but I couldn't blame him for sticking with Detroit.

I don't count on Webber coming on board. I do count on us picking up somebody. Brown is more likely. I don't think he wants to go West and bang with guys like Duncan and Amare all the time.

To bad the Artest Rumors where not true, of him coming the the Magic. Artest is still pretty young, he is like 28. So that would have been alot better then washed up players like Webber and PJ Brown.