Sign in to follow this  
star_phenom35

Anyone besides me starting to worry a bit?

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by Guardian:

Hey Smack if you like all these other teams way better than us then why not just take off your magic cap and go root for them. I understand you are not thrilled with this team but IT IS WHAT IT IS. The better teams usually win not the ones with the stars.... see Denver. Hopefully we will turn into a good squad.

I've got a better idea. How about you attend the very first ever Magic game as a season ticket holder and then continue to remain loyal as a season ticket holder for 19-20 years while watching the Magic make all the wrong moves to ensure that the money you're continually spending to watch the team you love is laughed at by other teams around the league.

Not you or any other member of this board can question my devotion and admiration of this team.

To look at the promise that existed this Summer and how it's unfolded while other teams that had less to work with are improving tremendously based only on a more aggressive approach leaves me a little frustrated. It doesn't however mean that I wish I was in the shoes of those other team's fans.

I am fully committed to this team and will be until the day I die. But the Magic organization driving me to an earlier grave while taking my season ticket money each year reserves me the right ot criticize whenever I see fit.

Nobody is questioning you pal. Chill out.

Guardian, i'm no mod, but do us a favor and don't provoke this thing anymore.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Guardian:

Hey Smack if you like all these other teams way better than us then why not just take off your magic cap and go root for them. I understand you are not thrilled with this team but IT IS WHAT IT IS. The better teams usually win not the ones with the stars.... see Denver. Hopefully we will turn into a good squad.

I've got a better idea. How about you attend the very first ever Magic game as a season ticket holder and then continue to remain loyal as a season ticket holder for 19-20 years while watching the Magic make all the wrong moves to ensure that the money you're continually spending to watch the team you love is laughed at by other teams around the league.

Not you or any other member of this board can question my devotion and admiration of this team.

To look at the promise that existed this Summer and how it's unfolded while other teams that had less to work with are improving tremendously based only on a more aggressive approach leaves me a little frustrated. It doesn't however mean that I wish I was in the shoes of those other team's fans.

I am fully committed to this team and will be until the day I die. But the Magic organization driving me to an earlier grave while taking my season ticket money each year reserves me the right ot criticize whenever I see fit.

I'm in agreement with Smack on this one.

When you spend a couple of thousand dollars a year like most of us season ticket holder do, it's tough to see them make the same mistakes over and over year after year.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

If the Celtics do that, they are gambling to win a championship in the next few years before having to rebuild all over again.

Charlotte does not worry me since all of their players seem to have problems staying healthy.

Miami is literally breaking down physically and Alston won't solve any of their problems.

What better way to rebuild than to have 65 million coming off your cap in the next 4 years? They could either trade their expiring contracts one year prior to that to begin rebuilding or simply wait for them to expire.

IMO, some of the other moves being made in the Eastern Conference are brilliant. The other GMs are gambling, but why not gamble with players like, Allen, KG, Randolph, etc.

So far we've painted ourselves into a corner for 6 years (not one or two like Boston). And in the process we lost 3 very good players without compensation. Everybody keeps saying, "well they're going after a championship for only the next 3 years". IMO, that's better than saying, "well, after three years our guys will be in their prime and we should be competing for championships." The reason is, we have no clue what our roster is going to look like in 3-4 years. We may have lost both Ariza & JJ by then. We will be stuck paying players the MLE to join our team. And our first round picks will probably be in the 20's with us making the playoffs but not ggod enough to win championships. None of this bodes particularly well for the Magic.

well smack, you just proved the same case for keeping hill. we used him just like contracts of those big names; playing hill and when his contract ends us it on a top free agent (lewis).

btw jj has 3 yrs left i think and a team option for a 5th, plus he will be restricted and we wil have bird rights.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

Rondo- Really? I wasn't aware that going 8-26, including games of 0-5, and 3-12 were considered "torching". Seriously, some of you really dislike Jameer beyond reason.

Paul Pierce- The only matchup where Pierce "torched" us was that classic no call game. By the way, he was guarded by Hedo (who played him very well up until overtime), and Grant "Defensive liability" Hill, not Trevor.

Allen- I've already stated this. Not many players can become first options over a lights-out shooter like Allen, who's on the verge of breaking Millers record.

If the Celtics truly acquired KG, then they would become a threat, and possibly a contender, but don't compare all three players stats separately because they're scoring is going to dip.

Plus, why are some people writing us out already? We haven't played a single game and yet some state that we have no chance to win. How do you know this? Are you inferring that the East has become so superior that we now stand no chance? Give me a break! Let the games speak for themselves.

Oh TITY. Now you've started something you're not equipped to finish.

It's convenient how you lumped all of Rondo's games together when in the beginning of the season he wasn't playing a prominent role.

In the first game, yes he went 0-5 from the field in 21 minutes, but he also had 7 assists, which if Im not mistaken would tie Jameer's season high.

In his second game he played 57 seconds.

Then in his thrid game, yes he went 3-12 from the field, but he also had 5 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 steals.

In the final matchup of the season, when Rondo was starting for the Celtics he racked up totals of 16 pts, 3 reb, 4 assists and 4 steals.

In case you forgot, Rondo was also a rookie. He only started in 25 games at the tail end of the season and progressed nicely during the end of his rookie campaign.

Having said all that, I love Jameer and have immense confidence that he will surpass expectations for this upcoming season. I was just refering to last season's head to head.

FYI, Allen averaged 21 pts, 4 reb and 4 ast against the Magic last season and Garnett averaged 25 pts, 12.5 reb and 6.5 ast.

quote:

The Celts had Pierce and he wasn't going to be happy waiting for Jefferson, West, Rondo to mature and develop.

This team is built to win championships right now. And if they don't hang title banners, they will have 65 million coming off their cap in a few years to begin rebuilding.

The Celtics didn't even make the playoffs last year and with the addition of KG, they would be heads and tails better than the Magic.

Ainge is doing a great job of making aggressive moves that will not cap out his team for 6 years. They have a 3-4 year window and if that doesn't work, cap space is cleared with the expiring contracts.

Marc - Are you seriously comparing the Nuggets who were very competitive in the Western Conference to the Celtics? First off, the Celtics don't play in the Western Conference, that is evident. Denver was the 6th seed out there. The Celts were the 2nd worst team in the NBA, and what did they have that could improve their team? A first round pick where they got screwed by the ping pong balls and a few young prospects. They didn't have 15 million in cap space and the expiring contracts of Darko & G Hill.

So, they had less to work with in terms of leverage and will improve by leaps and bounds if they can acquire KG. And what will they have given up? A first round pick and a few solid players with potential. Sound familiar?

We had more solid players with potential than Boston and had millions in cap space to operate with and all we did was commit every penny of our cap space to sign a single player to a very questionable long-term deal.

Point is, every time one of the other NBA GMs pulls off a deal like this where they aren't "waiting to see who falls to us", it will magnify Otis' mistakes and lack of creativity.

LJ, to answer your question, I watch the Celtics when they play on TNT, against the Magic, or the Bulls because those are the ones that I can catch televised. Allen is a good defender and so is Rondo, I agree with you there, Rondo is good for streatches on D but I doubt he can run an offense, I doubt anyone is afraid of him breaking down a defense. If you have Tony on the floor than you do not have Ray on the floor so you have to pick either D or offense.

Smack, I am not arguing whether or not we handled things correctly, I agree that we did not and we all have beaten that to death. What I am talking about is whether or not Boston becomes scary. It does make them better than this team for the next couple of years and then they get to start rebuilding so basically they start right back to where they were last season only they are starting over with Rondo and Allen as their building blocks, anyone else less than impressed?

I am seriously compairing the Celtics with the Nuggets. They are 2 teams that are built compeltely around offense. The Nuggets do play in the west which is a much tougher conferance. Did the Nuggets win the title? The Celtics could get to the finals with that team in the east, are they going to beat a western conf team when they get there? Doesn't matter how far you get in the playoffs unless you win the title. I highly doubt the Cav's are breaking out the champagne over getting their rear ends handed to them in the finals.

That is what this boils down to, it makes them better but not good enough to win a title, and in 2-3 yrs they get to start all over again. It's buying Ainge more job security because he will try and fail and then get more time because he will be rebuilding. While we are on the job security subject, they still have Doc for at least next season, anyone think Doc can coach a championship team? Not me, and that shortens that window another year.

I don't like how Otis handled things this offseason anymore than anyone else, but I also don't think that making moves just because they are out there to be made without an eye on the future is any better of a job of GM'ing. That team was not going to win a title with their current make up but if you draft Brewer to go with West, Jefferson, and Tony Allen, and trade Pierce I think you end up with a better shot in the long run.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

Rondo- Really? I wasn't aware that going 8-26, including games of 0-5, and 3-12 were considered "torching". Seriously, some of you really dislike Jameer beyond reason.

Paul Pierce- The only matchup where Pierce "torched" us was that classic no call game. By the way, he was guarded by Hedo (who played him very well up until overtime), and Grant "Defensive liability" Hill, not Trevor.

Allen- I've already stated this. Not many players can become first options over a lights-out shooter like Allen, who's on the verge of breaking Millers record.

If the Celtics truly acquired KG, then they would become a threat, and possibly a contender, but don't compare all three players stats separately because they're scoring is going to dip.

Plus, why are some people writing us out already? We haven't played a single game and yet some state that we have no chance to win. How do you know this? Are you inferring that the East has become so superior that we now stand no chance? Give me a break! Let the games speak for themselves.

Oh TITY. Now you've started something you're not equipped to finish.

It's convenient how you lumped all of Rondo's games together when in the beginning of the season he wasn't playing a prominent role.

In the first game, yes he went 0-5 from the field in 21 minutes, but he also had 7 assists, which if Im not mistaken would tie Jameer's season high.

In his second game he played 57 seconds.

Then in his thrid game, yes he went 3-12 from the field, but he also had 5 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 steals.

In the final matchup of the season, when Rondo was starting for the Celtics he racked up totals of 16 pts, 3 reb, 4 assists and 4 steals.

In case you forgot, Rondo was also a rookie. He only started in 25 games at the tail end of the season and progressed nicely during the end of his rookie campaign.

Having said all that, I love Jameer and have immense confidence that he will surpass expectations for this upcoming season. I was just refering to last season's head to head.

FYI, Allen averaged 21 pts, 4 reb and 4 ast against the Magic last season and Garnett averaged 25 pts, 12.5 reb and 6.5 ast.

Why is this thread turning into another "The Magic screwed up this offseason" thread?

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

Why is this thread turning into another "The Magic screwed up this offseason" thread?

Because they did and there's nothing else to talk about right now.

I think the best comparison i've seen is the Miami Heat comparison. They stocked up on veterans, won a title, and now there all planning their retirement.

You need to build around young guys. I think the way the Celtics are going about it is all wrong.

Now what we did with Lewis was BEYOND SMART. The only dumb part about it was the money. Had we not signed him to a max contract, we would all be rejoicing like nobodies business.

all this means is that the east is getting a whole lot tougher...it wont be the leastern conference for long.

also, if lebron & co. can make it to the finals, then a trio of pp, allen, and kg certainly can. and kg is known for being a team player. the chemistry will be fantastic on that team.

someone said earlier that the celtics dont have much money to continue to extend contracts in the future...the celtics are the most storied franchise in the history of the nba, by far. if they get put back on the bball map for even a couple years, they will have more money than they can spend on their team, and they will continue to make trades as necessary to make themselves continually competitive. so what i am saying is even if they dont retain the big three beyond the 3 or 4 years, the damage will already be done. boston will be a power house again and will be looking to add to their massive numbers of banners they already have. we need to beat them to the finish line. we need to make another move. i dont buy this 'we will be poised to win it all in 3 years'. where will lebron be in 3-4 years? who knows? all otis is telling me when he says that is that hes ok with mediocrity. why would you spend max money on a player just to not be looking for championships right away? go all out or go home. we have billionare owners. im sure if it means winning a championship, they will spend a little extra money. the magic brass need to understand that just making the playoffs and not going anywhere is mediocrity, and we arent ok with that.

quote:

I think the best comparison i've seen is the Miami Heat comparison. They stocked up on veterans, won a title, and now there all planning their retirement.

You need to build around young guys. I think the way the Celtics are going about it is all wrong.

Now what we did with Lewis was BEYOND SMART. The only dumb part about it was the money. Had we not signed him to a max contract, we would all be rejoicing like nobodies business.

The Heat won a title, then the following year were the #4 seed while Wade and Shaq missed considerable time with injuries. And they are still in a position to compete for free agents and titles because of the marquee players they have. Zo could start on half the teams in the league and instead opted to resign with the heat. Smush signed with the Heat. And the Heat are rumored to be attractive destinations for a few other pieces that could complete their roster nicely. Then in a couple years they will have 25 million dollars clearing from their cap. If that is the kind of bumpy road that a team goes on by stocking their team with proven all-star players, then sign me up. It far surpasses missing the playoffs and then sliding into the playoffs ahead of New York and Indiana, as opposed to waiting 5-6 years to see if your young prospects will ever live up to their expectations of their pedigree while possibly losing them along the way (a la Darko & our 1st round draft pick).

Step back and look at this with some impartial perspective and then talk to me about how the Magic are in a better position than anyone in the Eastern Conference to compete for championships for the next decade.

quote:

quote:

The Heat won a title, then the following year were the #4 seed while Wade and Shaq missed considerable time with injuries. And they are still in a position to compete for free agents and titles because of the marquee players they have. Zo could start on half the teams in the league and instead opted to resign with the heat. Smuch signed with the Heat. And the Heat are rumored to be attractive destinations for a few other pieces that could complete their roster nicely. If that is the kind of bumpy road that a team goes on by stocking their team with proven all-star players, then sign me up. It far surpasses missing the playoffs and then sliding into the playoffs ahead of New York and Indiana, as opposed to waiting 5-6 years to see if your young prospects will ever live up to their expectations of their pedigree while possibly losing them along the way (a la Darko & our 1st round draft pick).

Step back and look at this with some impartial perspective and then talk to me about how the Magic are in a better position than anyone in the Eastern Conference to compete for championships for the next decade.

No need to get defensive man. I'm simply just sharing an opinion. I never said I was a basketball God and can determine what is right or wrong. The Heat were the 4th seed, because they won a division by 3 games. They are getting old. How many years left do you think Shaq has? Pretty soon it will be the lottery and build around D-Wade. We have a young solid core. Our whole starting 5 is basically 2-3 years pro guys besides Lewis. We are heading in the right direction IMO. Again, just my opinion.

Actually, that triple threat won't be much of a challenge. Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Ray Allen have been well, facile to beat when this particular bunch was separated.

Concerning the thought of them joining the same NBA roster would make it more facile to gain victories from the teams they left.

Don't forget, the Magic have an addition of scoring threats in Rashard Lewis, JJ Redick, and Bo Outlaw......did I say Bo Outlaw? I meant Dwight Howard.

Bobcats won't be in our league. We have far better shooters then them. Gerald Wallace is improving on his scoring and shooting performance. We have three players who can do that; Rashard Lewis, JJ Redick, and Hedo Turkoglu are already there. Dwight Howard "owns" Okafor and don't forget what Ariza did to him...poor guy.

As for Toronto.....well, they are ominous characters who agonize the Magic by being victorious in the past 5 seasons in the season series. Chris Bosh career high was marked against us I presume. Dang, I hate Toronto.

Sure, big men such as Marcus Camby & the dexterity of Chris Webber's passing skills rubbing off on our future All-Star, Dwight Howard. This roster has a shortage; we have one center in Tony Battie.