Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

I agree with the people that are afraid of taking Noel and disagree with those that want to take the risk. Somebody said he was a "big"... actually he's a "tall". He weighs less than some of the PGs and SGs in the league and he's built like a match stick. That is NOT a "big" in my opinion.

He's tall, can jump, and block shots. If that is what we want why not trade down and get a "big" that can do those things but has a body that can absorb NBA contact? I can see LeBron driving into Noel and ending his career in one play. Noel could easily end up being Greg Oden 2.0

I agree...strangely enough. Not necessarily about Len, but about Noel and the rest of your big board. I think we trade out of #2 personally. There's no real value at #2 but there is in the mid-late lottery

It's a miracle :)...

But who trades up to No2? A team that wants Noel if Cavs pass?

I literally would be fine any of those 5 players. I just want someone who is going to be a GOOD player and more importantly someone who WANTS TO BE HERE IN ORLANDO.

Len, McLemore, Oli, MCW, Porter are all players I think will have solid NBA careers. Maybe 1-2 become all stars of that group who knows.

It's a miracle :)/>/>...

But who trades up to No2? A team that wants Noel if Cavs pass?

I literally would be fine any of those 5 players. I just want someone who is going to be a GOOD player and more importantly someone who WANTS TO BE HERE IN ORLANDO.

Len, McLemore, Oli, MCW, Porter are all players I think will have solid NBA careers. Maybe 1-2 become all stars of that group who knows.

A team that wants Noel, Porter, McLemore, or Dipo and don't think he'll be there at their respective pick. Phoenix?

How and why are people drawing these conclusions based on one year of college, during which McLemore hit at least two game winners that I'm aware of? Did he fail to demand the ball in some big moments down the stretch? Sure he did. Is this something that you might expect from a young guy under similar circumstances? I believe so. Does this mean that McLemore is somehow not a winner? Hell no. It simply means he either wasn't ready for the stage or currently lacks the aggressiveness/confidence to demand the ball and take the big shot. Hell, Lebron was deferring to teammates in clutch moments up to two years ago and no one has ever said he's not a winner (not comparing McLemore to Lebron btw). Btw, how many game winners did Danny Green make as a freshman at UNC? Doesn't McLemore deserve the shot to prove what he is before we start labeling him a "not a winner" aka "a loser"? I believe he does, whether its in a Magic uniform or otherwise

Do you really think that he has the passion? You can see the passion in EVERY SINGLE game in a player that has it. that doesn´t mean you are the best player, or even an all-star. Some players has the passion, some players don´t. Some players are winners, some players don´t. He´s young yeah, So? Just look Smart or even Chalmers when he was in college, just to name one or two.

Im not saying he is a loser. Im saying he has no passion for the game, and sometimes he just seems that he doesn´t care. Maybe fear?

Lebron is an unselfish player, he take and hit winning shots even in Cleveland, and then he was playing alone.

I would take Len over Noel. The more I watch of him the more I think he can be really good. Guy has a HUGE body and actually moves well. I'm sure we aren't giving him serious consideration because of Vuc but I think he deserves at least a look.

I honestly would not be shocked if Cleveland took him at 1. He is an immediate upgrade of Zeller and they say they want to make the playoffs this year.

He could open things up for a trade involving Vuch which we could probably get really good value for. Just something to ponder.

The White Mambas Nobody cares about Big Board Monday, June 10th edition

1.Ben McLemore

2. Alex Len

3.Victor Olidipo

4. Otto Porter

5. MCW

I'm Red flagging Noel at this point. I will admit I really liked him earlier on in the draft process and still do, but that knee just isn't worth getting involved with to me. Just other safer options out there. Now if we were picking around 5-8 and he fell that far I'd take a flyer on him but at No2, I'm passing completely.

I could buy that, although I'm not so familiar with Len. Noel strikes me as a more defensive-minded Camby without the offensive repertoire, mainly because of the health issue Camby struggled with throughout his career. Great player....when he was healthy.

Although the science of rehabbing knees has gotten a lot better since those days, it's still something. I could see someone taking a flyer on him #5 or higher, but I agree Noel's a little risky to go #1: could be another Oden.

Do you really think that he has the passion? You can see the passion in EVERY SINGLE game in a player that has it. that doesn´t mean you are the best player, or even an all-star. Some players has the passion, some players don´t. Some players are winners, some players don´t. He´s young yeah, So? Just look Smart or even Chalmers when he was in college, just to name one or two.

Im not saying he is a loser. Im saying he has no passion for the game, and sometimes he just seems that he doesn´t care. Maybe fear?

Lebron is an unselfish player, he take and hit winning shots even in Cleveland, and then he was playing alone.

McClemore hit game winners too, so that sort of negates your point. Chalmers was a junior PG, so you're comparing apples and oranges there and what has Smart won exactly? I don't know how you measure "passion"? Is KG more passionate than Duncan because he screams obscenities all game long?

Its funny how someone defends a guy for passing up big shots by saying he's an "unselfish team player" but then critiques another player for the same behavior, but in the second case labels it "lack of passion/fear/not caring".

I could buy that, although I'm not so familiar with Len. Noel strikes me as a more defensive-minded Camby without the offensive repertoire, mainly because of the health issue Camby struggled with throughout his career. Great player....when he was healthy.

Although the science of rehabbing knees has gotten a lot better since those days, it's still something. I could see someone taking a flyer on him #5 or higher, but I agree Noel's a little risky to go #1: could be another Oden.

Familiarize yourself here. It's long but paints a good picture. Dude is only 19 too. Legit 7'1.

Familiarize yourself here. It's long but paints a good picture. Dude is only 19 too. Legit 7'1.

I watched this after your earlier comment. I like him I'm just not sure where it would leave Vuc if we got him with our pick.

This. If we do Take him, rest him for the ENTIRE year. Emphasis on entire because next season is already a wash so no need to bring him back early and risk further injury. Just sit him all year. That being said, I'm scared as hell of taking him. Love the potential and what he COULD be, but also hate what he MIGHT be.

This.. I guess I'm just hopeful that his situation works in our favor. We don't need him to win right away, especially if the general consensus is we want to lose one more year again. He won't be around to help with that. I wouldn't mind him sitting out the whole year at all. We draft another high draft pick in 2014, and him and Noel grow in the NBA together. His knees make me a little nervous too, but is it SO risky to take the guy most people think will go #1 with #2?

I know I'm one of the more optimistic souls on these forums but this sounds like a rare opportunity to me. If the Cavs cooperate.

But then I've heard how Hennigan is super adverse to injured players, so....

For a team like Cleveland, drafting Noel for keeps is indeed very risky and is only likely if they are absolutely certain that they will hold up. But I suppose that, given the recent history of Phoenix's miracle work with injuries, I wouldn't be surprised to see those two flip draft picks (I wonder if the Suns still have the same med staff from a few years back).

On the other hand, WE are not on any sort of a timeline (nor do we have any goals of expectations really), so a Noel may almost make sense if there is a good, though not certain, possibility (at least uncertain enough to allow for him to drop to us) that his knees will stay healthy through ought his NBA years. But knee maintenance on any seven footer in the league is quite a commitment and will always affect rotations throughout the season--particularly because so much of Noel's game relies on athleticism and mobility. Perhaps there are good reasons as to why he wore knee padding in college...

I have a feeling that, given the option of drafting or passing on Noel, Rob's decision will largely depend on his assessment of our own medical and trainer staff. I suppose our history hasn't been particularly impressive in respect to injuries, but Orlando has been hailed as one of the more renown centers for knee care in the world (though ironically I've had more success putting my knees through a combination of natural injections and dated communist technology).

One curious tidbit that I've been hearing from journalists on Noel's knees is that their condition is especially alarming because he is only 19. From what I've gathered of my somewhat limited experience, I have to optimistically disagree. Growth can do funny things to knees (I do recall hearing somewhere that his bones weren't even set yet), and there is always that chance that they could develop to be perfectly normal (or at least relative to other 7-footers in the league).

But I do wonder, in the scenario that we do select Noel and he doesn't pan out, how much blame does Henny receive? It's not as though we just gave up our best player for that pick, and the draft doesn't appear that strong at the top to begin with.

I watched this after your earlier comment. I like him I'm just not sure where it would leave Vuc if we got him with our pick.

I think that's a problem most people would be okay with having. Look at the premium on legit big 7' foot centers in the league. Than imagine us having 2 of them. Vuch would be a nice asset to dangle out in the trade market and see what we could get for him, maybe another first rounder next year who knows.

Again, I don't think it's likely that we take Len but my main point is if Cleveland passes on Noel, I would be much more happy selecting Len over Noel if that's the position Henny so chooses to go. To many risks with Noel, and even if Noel stays healthy, which is a monstrous if, I think Len will be a much more complete center and not just a one trick pony like Noel.

For a team like Cleveland, drafting Noel for keeps is indeed very risky and is only likely if they are absolutely certain that they will hold up. But I suppose that, given the recent history of Phoenix's miracle work with injuries, I wouldn't be surprised to see those two flip draft picks (I wonder if the Suns still have the same med staff from a few years back).

On the other hand, WE are not on any sort of a timeline (nor do we have any goals of expectations really), so a Noel may almost make sense if there is a good, though not certain, possibility (at least uncertain enough to allow for him to drop to us) that his knees will stay healthy through ought his NBA years. But knee maintenance on any seven footer in the league is quite a commitment and will always affect rotations throughout the season--particularly because so much of Noel's game relies on athleticism and mobility. Perhaps there are good reasons as to why he wore knee padding in college...

I have a feeling that, given the option of drafting or passing on Noel, Rob's decision will largely depend on his assessment of our own medical and trainer staff. I suppose our history hasn't been particularly impressive in respect to injuries, but Orlando has been hailed as one of the more renown centers for knee care in the world (though ironically I've had more success putting my knees through a combination of natural injections and dated communist technology).

One curious tidbit that I've been hearing from journalists on Noel's knees is that their condition is especially alarming because he is only 19. From what I've gathered of my somewhat limited experience, I have to optimistically disagree. Growth can do funny things to knees (I do recall hearing somewhere that his bones weren't even set yet), and there is always that chance that they could develop to be perfectly normal (or at least relative to other 7-footers in the league).

But I do wonder, in the scenario that we do select Noel and he doesn't pan out, how much blame does Henny receive? It's not as though we just gave up our best player for that pick, and the draft doesn't appear that strong at the top to begin with.

I agree it's not that strong and for sure not loaded with obvious star potential. But we all know in 3-4 years when we look back on the top 10 picks, 2-3 will be really good and a few others will be very solid players, not neccessarily all stars. I guess I would just rather have something, than nothing i.e: Noel having cronically bad knees his whole career and riding pine like Grant Hill.

I think it's easier for us to just say "oh, well maybe he's worth the risk", but once it actually comes time to play and he's sitting on the bench while other players (maybe Burke, MCW, Oli, McLemore, Len, McClloum, Porter) are playing for their teams and contributing, I think it will be much harder for us as a fan base to stomach.