Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

I don't feel like going back to find the quote but is that guy who says you don't draft for talent so that you don't stack positions serious? You take talent over need almost everytime and keep doing so until you strike gold. Who cares how good Mo or Toby are because neither are elite. Lets say hypothetically we draft Otto Porter and he is the ****. Now we have ourselves an all star and a valuable trade piece where if we play our cards right we turn into an allstar or another player who does fill a need.

Mo or Toby are not elite but Otto Porter is? I honestly think both our players have equal or greater potential than Otto Porter so I don't see the point in drafting him. If you are just drafting on potential McLemore or Noel is the obvious choice anyways so I don't know why you would bring him up. I also said that unless the talent was superior to what we had, I think we should stay away. Better to trade down and get better value for the pick. You either misread my comment or have no idea what I meant.

Mo or Toby are not elite but Otto Porter is? I honestly think both our players have equal or greater potential than Otto Porter so I don't see the point in drafting him. If you are just drafting on potential McLemore or Noel is the obvious choice anyways so I don't know why you would bring him up. I also said that unless the talent was superior to what we had, I think we should stay away. Better to trade down and get better value for the pick. You either misread my comment or have no idea what I meant.

His point wasn't that Porter is elite better but that IF Porter was elite you should draft him regardless of having Mo and Harris who are both good prospects. This is the whole point of BPA in general.

His point wasn't that Porter is elite better but that IF Porter was elite you should draft him regardless of having Mo and Harris who are both good prospects. This is the whole point of BPA in general.

then he should have quoted my original post as he would have maybe read it again and understood it

You entirely missed the point

The only players in this draft that I think have a chance to become "elite" are Noel and McLemore. Otto Porter is going to be a solid, consistent player in the NBA but I don't see him having a ceiling at the elite level. Oladipo is the same way, really solid player and someone every GM wants on their team but not "elite". McLemore has tools to become an elite player in the NBA, also has the potential to be a flop. Noel would be much safer if his knees weren't so weak and his body wasn't so frail. This is a weird draft.

You'll just have stacked positions and some of the players will develope less because of limited playing time. I can't believe people are preaching this bs, when they are also preaching that Glen Davis and Afflalo need to be traded to make playing time for the young guys.

• Upvote 1

That's probably the case, but IMO we're better off dealing in reality than in hypotheticals in terms of having a relevant discussion. I agree in the theory of BPA, but only when a player is clearly better than the rest of the class. Perfect example is Wiggins. If we draft first overall next year we take him, and deal with the backlog at SF later. Obviously in this draft its pretty tough to even determine who the BPA is at #2 with any certainty, so strategically it makes sense to consider both team needs and potential.

Having said that, here are two things to consider with regards to Otto. Is he clearly any better than McLemore, Burke, Oladipo and even if you believe he is (I'd say possibly but not clearly) could it not be argued that we already have two equitable (maybe even better) talents with similar upside at the same position? In considering these questions, I personally do not believe Otto is the right pick for us even if you view him as marginally better than the field using BPA theory. This is why I personally believe we end up taking McLemore at #2 or trading down for Burke. If Noel doesn't go first then who the hell knows what we'll do.

• Upvote 1

That's probably the case, but IMO we're better off dealing in reality than in hypotheticals in terms of having a relevant discussion. I agree in the theory of BPA, but only when a player is clearly better than the rest of the class. Perfect example is Wiggins. If we draft first overall next year we take him, and deal with the backlog at SF later. Obviously in this draft its pretty tough to even determine who the BPA is at #2 with any certainty, so strategically it makes sense to consider both team needs and potential.

Having said that, here are two things to consider with regards to Otto. Is he clearly any better than McLemore, Burke, Oladipo and even if you believe he is (I'd say possibly but not clearly) could it not be argued that we already have two equitable (maybe even better) talents with similar upside at the same position? In considering these questions, I personally do not believe Otto is the right pick for us even if you view him as marginally better than the field using BPA theory.

I can buy that. If in your eyes all the players are lumped together in the same talent bracket at that point you start looking at fit and need.

Not an Otto Porter fan at all. I think he is going to be terrible. BMac for me with Oli a distant second.

I think Burke is being overlooked in this conversation, but maybe its just me. I see his offensive floor as Jameer, but with better vision and passing. He will probably never be considered an elite PG, but that doesn't mean he won't have a great career. There's a lot of intangibles with Burke that can't really be measured and I think most everyone is sleeping on him because of what can be.

I just dont believe Otto Porter is gonna be that good. I think Harkless could be a star for us but I've been drinking the Harkless kool-aid for awhile. I just the potential there

Noel was looking like the easy first pick until he got hurt against florida. Anyone could get hurt stuff like that just happens. He probably still has the most potential

BMac is the best fit for us that also has the best Potential.

Oli is a get what you see pick, and I think he is talking his way up the draft

I think Burke is being overlooked in this conversation, but maybe its just me. I see his offensive floor as Jameer, but with better vision and passing. He will probably never be considered an elite PG, but that doesn't mean he won't have a great career. There's a lot of intangibles with Burke that can't really be measured and I think most everyone is sleeping on him because of what can be.

I think witht the talk of Bledsoe and the lack of rumors going around that we are looking to trade down. That the Burke talk just seems like less of the plan for the Magic, but I also dont see Porter being part of the plan either. We would/should trade down and get Burke before we draft Potter

I agree, I just know the Magic have spent a fair amount of time scouting Porter. It was the same level of heat that they had on Smart.

So it makes me wonder a little. They may see a potential star wing, or they may just have focused on specific players a little more aggressively since this draft is thin for top tier talent.