Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

Also why does Catman insist that athleticism is what matters in the modern NBA and why Burke is a poor pick at #2 but then says how great Porter is when he's a 198 pound small forward with average lateral quickness and doesn't play above the rim.

Also why does Catman insist that athleticism is what matters in the modern NBA and why Burke is a poor pick at #2 but then says how great Porter is when he's a 198 pound small forward with average lateral quickness and doesn't play above the rim.

That's why I asked if it was his opinion that we'd likely take Porter or if he was hearing Henny has a semi-chub for him. To me McLemore makes more sense because he could help spread the court for our forwards and Vuc. Porter may, I stress may, be the safest pick in this draft but McLemore's ceiling is considerably higher in my opinion. Btw, does Porter remind anyone else of Shawn Marion? Maybe its just the ugly release.

You have some very good connections if you're being told precisely who Hennigan is and isn't in love with (although everyone knew we loved Smart), as I have reason to believe I do as well. I agree that Burke at #2 is a stretch to say the least, which is why I speculated that we'd probably try and trade down to get him in the correct slot (Phoenix?). As for the bolded part, I guess that leaves the entire debate open for discussion. I trust my source...he broke the #2 pick to me at around pick 10 and I immediately posted it in the chat room on draft night. It's possible that was a guess...I mean it was one of only four options so that could be the case. Regardless, I'm just passing along what I was told...there's no agenda here. You've mentioned Porter a few times now. Is your source telling you Porter is the guy or is this simply your opinion? I'm just trying to get a feel (as we all are) as to what management is actually thinking because the consensus pick at #2 is McLemore. Thanks for sharing what you know.

I am not told who Hennigan is in love with now. That is my point. No one knows. You are the one who proclaimed that. Knowing that we are drafting #2 is really not a big deal. In fact there is no possible way that would be leaked simply based on the NBA policy. That was an easy guess and not inside info. There is no way anyone would sneak a cell phone into the ping pong ball room just to tell someone we had the #2 pick. I hope you understand how that would be impossible.

I knew about Smart because I heard about the Magic assigned scouts to him 2 months ago. They did the same with Porter. Chad Ford broke that the Magic were super bummed that Smart was not declaring, and I mistakenly posted I thought he would try and loophole it and still enter. I said that because I knew the Magic basically promised to take Smart.

So I mention Porter because he has gotten a lot of attention from Magic scouts. He also stated he would be a good fit here because he was told that by Magic scouts. It does not mean they will take Porter, but it is safe to say they like him at #2.

No one knows who the Magic will take as of now. There are a million scenarios that could pop up between now and the draft.

Chillups your assessment of talent is message board based IMO. I trust the Magic scouts over your sketchy posting history. Otto Porter is a very solid pick at #2. I am not sure who would debate that besides yourself.

I am not told who Hennigan is in love with now. That is my point. No one knows. You are the one who proclaimed that. Knowing that we are drafting #2 is really not a big deal. In fact there is no possible way that would be leaked simply based on the NBA policy. That was an easy guess and not inside info. There is no way anyone would sneak a cell phone into the ping pong ball room just to tell someone we had the #2 pick. I hope you understand how that would be impossible.

I knew about Smart because I heard about the Magic assigned scouts to him 2 months ago. They did the same with Porter. Chad Ford broke that the Magic were super bummed that Smart was not declaring, and I mistakenly posted I thought he would try and loophole it and still enter. I said that because I knew the Magic basically promised to take Smart.

So I mention Porter because he has gotten a lot of attention from Magic scouts. He also stated he would be a good fit here because he was told that by Magic scouts. It does not mean they will take Porter, but it is safe to say they like him at #2.

No one knows who the Magic will take as of now. There are a million scenarios that could pop up between now and the draft.

Chillups your assessment of talent is message board based IMO. I trust the Magic scouts over your sketchy posting history. Otto Porter is a very solid pick at #2. I am not sure who would debate that besides yourself.

I actually like Otto Porter.

I'm asking why you said athleticism is what matters in the NBA and then go on and rave about a small forward who weighs less than Kyle Lowry and doesn't play above the rim.

Porter is good because of his overall skillset and motor, he is absolutely not a great athlete.

Message board/blog regurgitation example right there.

He plays very long and is an excellent shot disruptor. While his athleticism is not elite, name a player in the draft who's is this year?

Oh, Ben Mclemore. The guy I personally want at #2. He has ???s as well. they all do. Porter represents himself as guy with less ???s and more upside to a lot of teams.

He reminds me of Paul George because he can shoot over anybody and has excellent length on the defensive side.

My main point about Porter is I'd much rather take him at #2 than Burke.

I'd sacrifice some athleticism at SF for the potential of adding it at PG either with Schroeder or in next year's draft or even Free agency.

As a reminder, the stats back Noel #1 and Porter #2:

Nerlens Noel, C, Kentucky

Big board rank: 1 | 4.0 projected WARP (1)

What both like: Before his ACL injury, Noel scored far and away as the best prospect in this draft. The difference between his WARP projection and the No. 2 prospect (Georgetown's Otto Porter) is as large as the gap between Porter and No. 7.

Otto Porter, SF, Georgetown

Big board rank: 4 | 3.1 projected WARP (2)

What both like: Porter's all-around game will ease his transition to the NCAA. Compared to other small forwards in my database, Porter is among the top 25 percent in six key categories and does not have a single statistical weakness (among the bottom 25 percent). Plus Porter is nearly seven months younger than Muhammad.

http://insider.espn....ammad-overrated

Yeah, Smart was pretty much common knowledge. Even just speculating on this board most of us felt he was our guy without any insider information so it was really no surprise to hear the Magic were bummed when he chose to stay. As for my source, I think I'll simply bite my tongue for now...which in retrospect I should have, and likely would have, done draft night if it wasn't for the booze. I was just excited to share what I was being told with you guys. We'll see what happens

So you are still going to say that someone risked their NBA career to tell you that we were drafting #2 10 minutes before? I just want to make sure I am reading this right.

It was not common knowledge that the Magic wanted Smart 2 months ago. It was simply a player that a lot of people liked as our next PG.

My main point is no one knows as of now what is going to happen. None of us.

Has anyone else noticed this year how suddenly a lot of players are being compared to Paul George? First Harkless, then Harris, now Porter. It's kinda funny to me how that happens.

Message board/blog regurgitation example right there.

He plays very long and is an excellent shot disruptor. While his athleticism is not elite, name a player in the draft who's is this year?

Oh, Ben Mclemore. The guy I personally want at #2. He has ???s as well. they all do. Porter represents himself as guy with less ???s and more upside to a lot of teams.

He reminds me of Paul George because he can shoot over anybody and has excellent length on the defensive side.

My main point about Porter is I'd much rather take him at #2 than Burke.

I'd sacrifice some athleticism at SF for the potential of adding it at PG either with Schroeder or in next year's draft or even Free agency.

Porter's long wingspan and intelligence as a player is why he's a good shot disruptor. Noel, McLemore and Oladipo are some of the elite athletes in this draft and that's only in the Top 5.