Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

Totally this - when you're picking in the top 5-10? ALWAYS take the best talent. I mean, the Spurs took Duncan when they had arguably one of the best centers in the game (even though Duncan is a """""Power forward""""" <- quotes added for emphasis and hilarity).

There is a difference when you have a player like Duncan who is far and away better than everybody else. You don't pass on a Shaq or a LeBron or a soon-to-be Wiggins to reach for a position of need.

Atlanta Hawks desperately needed a PG in 2005 but they passed on Chris Paul and Deron Williams because Marvin Wiliams was highest on the board and had all the upside in the world. Plenty of mocks drafts and analysts agreed with that pick.

When there is a group of players with little separation, than you have to factor in the direction that your team is going and how players fit with your current roster.

• Upvote 1

I think mclemore could be Eric Gordon

he cant dribble like eric or does he take it aggressively to the rim.

Augustine has functioned pretty well as a backup PG for Indy, in this crappy draft I would be pretty happy if we picked up a solid backup point. I've seen lots of players have trouble against an aggressive press but how many teams do that in the NBA? It doesn't happen because NBA teams have a secondary ball handler that makes beating a press easier.

I'm not sold on any of the players in the draft but I do think that there is something to be said for a guy that has shown that he works very hard and that he doesn't shy away from big games.

Augustine put up similar numbers to Maynor last year. His last season in Cha he averaged 11 and 6. If i'm taking a pg number 2 he needs to do a lot more and I don't see why Burke would be that guy.

Its not that nba teams play press consistently but what happens in the 4th quarter of a tight playoff game when they are? How does he look in a playoff series going up against rondo or westbrook? When drafting you take talent over need.

Burke was consistently good the entire year. He won national player of the year. That doesn't happen for players that suddenly start performing in the tournament.

Guys like JJ Redick, Jameer Nelson, Jimmer Fredette, and Evan Turner have all won that award recently. Of course so did Shaq and Durant, but the point is the award doesnt mean anything in terms of nba success. All of those guys are good players but not what you would want with the 2nd pick in the draft. I get what you are saying that it wasnt that he just started play well in the tourney. The guy wasn't talked about being a dark horse for the first pick in the draft before.

McLemore would be scary good on the Spurs, off the bench for Danny Green and Kawhi Leonard. My point is that I really think he needs a system that fits him to be effective. I think Porter makes much more sense for the Magic, I can't see McLemore thriving in Orlando.

McLemore would be scary good on the Spurs, off the bench for Danny Green and Kawhi Leonard. My point is that I really think he needs a system that fits him to be effective. I think Porter makes much more sense for the Magic, I can't see McLemore thriving in Orlando.

No doubt he needs the right system to thrive. If he's our guy it's on JV to put him in a position to succeed. He is going to struggle creating his shot in one-on-one situations. BMac will do some damage on a team whose offense allows him to find space to shot with opportunities to use his athletism cutting to the hoop. If he is used properly he is a 20+ a night scoring shooting close to 50% from the field.

I'm a little surprised we aren't talking about Anthony Bennett. He almost reminds of a bigger Tobias Harris: has range, can attack the basket, and has a lot of upside. He's not a traditional 4 but c'mon, what traditional 4s are in the NBA anyway?

If the magic believe Harkless can play the 2, then Porter makes alot of sense.

Tobias Harris IS a PF in the current NBA.

The question with Harkless is the handles, i am confident he is going to be a good 3 point shooter atleast when someone gets him the ball.

can we come up with a comparison for Porter? is he basically kind of like Rashard Lewis, when he was young? very skilled but average athleticism. Shard was a 3 when he came into the league(btw i will take a high skill level over high athleticism if given the choice)

and if Noel is at 2 then what? granted i was just listening to bill simmons and brian windhorst talk about Noel, is this guy, who is 206 really going to be able to put on much weight with a potentially bad knee?

but then i look at our team and think the risk is worth it, having someone who is a force at defending basket, and can finish at the rim is very valuable

The question with Harkless is the handles, i am confident he is going to be a good 3 point shooter atleast when someone gets him the ball.

can we come up with a comparison for Porter? is he basically kind of like Rashard Lewis, when he was young? very skilled but average athleticism. Shard was a 3 when he came into the league(btw i will take a high skill level over high athleticism if given the choice)

and if Noel is at 2 then what? granted i was just listening to bill simmons and brian windhorst talk about Noel, is this guy, who is 206 really going to be able to put on much weight with a potentially bad knee?

but then i look at our team and think the risk is worth it, having someone who is a force at defending basket, and can finish at the rim is very valuable

the comparison is tayshaun prince.

Guys like JJ Redick, Jameer Nelson, Jimmer Fredette, and Evan Turner have all won that award recently. Of course so did Shaq and Durant, but the point is the award doesnt mean anything in terms of nba success. All of those guys are good players but not what you would want with the 2nd pick in the draft. I get what you are saying that it wasnt that he just started play well in the tourney. The guy wasn't talked about being a dark horse for the first pick in the draft before.

This draft does not have sure fire star talent, so you want to make sure you grab a quality guy to add to our team. I think burke will be better than nelson and I believe nelson has done well for us over the years.

I'd take Noel at #2 in a heartbeat