Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

Can we just draft Wiggins this year?

You know, im good with seeing him against tougher comp and then evaluating. Plus i want to see how we handles this type of attention and the temptations that come along. I want to make sure we have not only good talent, but good people.

Cant have someone go Titus Young on us (im allowed, long time Lions fan).

ARRRRGH To which based god do FSU fans have to pray to get a damn top recruit one day?

I think it has more to do with their non existence in the ncaa tournament year in and year out. Also maybe the 40 point corn holeing to the gators in tally didnt help out much either. If a double FSU legacy doesnt want to go there then it tells you where you stand in the ncaa basketball rankings. Right above UCF and waaaay below the dukes, calaparis and kansas.

I think it has more to do with their non existence in the ncaa tournament year in and year out. Also maybe the 40 point corn holeing to the gators in tally didnt help out much either. If a double FSU legacy doesnt want to go there then it tells you where you stand in the ncaa basketball rankings. Right above UCF and waaaay below the dukes, calaparis and kansas.

Except, yanno, they've been to four of the last five tournaments, went to the Sweet 16 in 2011, and won the ACC last year. That's not exactly "right above UCF" who has never won a tournament game.

• Upvote 2

Rumor is he doesn't want to go to summer school which FSU would have made him do since they have a special NCAA sanctioned team trip to Greece in August to play in some exhibition games.

They get to have 10 practices to prepare for the trip over summer school.

He wants to play for Team Canada this summer and then report to school in the fall to do his NBA mandated year before moving on.

He should've just pulled a Jennings and gone to Europe. Of the teams listed, I would've gone to UNC if I was him. Kentucky he wouldn't get nearly enough shots. Kansas for some reason Bill Self and the NBA doesn't mix, so why put yourself through that (cue the straw man argument from magicblue)? And then with Florida State it's a program that has gotten a lot better over the years, but still he would just be going there to please his father (y'all know I'm a Nole, but there's no reason for Wiggins to go there other than his father went and there's great snatch). That just leaves UNC but really, he would've probably been better off going to Europe.

He should've just pulled a Jennings and gone to Europe. Of the teams listed, I would've gone to UNC if I was him. Kentucky he wouldn't get nearly enough shots. Kansas for some reason Bill Self and the NBA doesn't mix, so why put yourself through that (cue the straw man argument from magicblue)? And then with Florida State it's a program that has gotten a lot better over the years, but still he would just be going there to please his father (y'all know I'm a Nole, but there's no reason for Wiggins to go there other than his father went and there's great snatch). That just leaves UNC but really, he would've probably been better off going to Europe.

It's a widely known fact that Bill Self takes top prospects, who would otherwise become NBA legends, and turns them into complete and utter garbage. Look no farther than Mario Chalmers, who was universally hailed as the next Oscar Roberson before attending Kansas, and just look how he turned out. Its sad and rather pathetic actually. We can only hope that Wiggins doesn't follow this same path of disappointment at the hands of Self and the Kansas program who clearly go out of their way to try and ruin the hopes and dreams of young men

You know, im good with seeing him against tougher comp and then evaluating. Plus i want to see how we handles this type of attention and the temptations that come along. I want to make sure we have not only good talent, but good people.

Cant have someone go Titus Young on us (im allowed, long time Lions fan).

S/O to a fellow Lions and Magic fan. I thought I was the only one lol

Jennings was the number 1 high school player in the country. He averaged 30+ points and 7 assists as a senior and had he gone to Arizona instead of Europe he probably would have been a top 5 pick when he was drafted. He essentially gave up playing time and a chance to improve his game for 3 million dollars and 15 mins off the bench a night. To me that says he cared about the money more than he did playing basketball which is ironic because if he had been a top 5 pick he'd have easily made up that extra 3 million or so in his rookie contract.

I don't know why you have such an issue with Self. The Morris Twins, Cole Aldrich, Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey were all 4 star recruits out of high school who have been, or will be, drafted in the 1st round of the draft, hell, even McLemore was a 4 star recruit and he's about to be a top 3 pick in the NBA draft. I think that's a pretty impressive track record of improving players. Granted I'll also say that Mario Chalmers was a 5 star recruit who's nothing more than a roleplayer and was drafted in the 2nd round but honestly I don't think Self is the reason why Chalmers is not an NBA star. I think it says a lot about Wiggins that he didn't go to Kentucky because he himself said that a Kentucky team with him on it would probably win a National Championship and I also respect his decision (as much as it was disappointing) to carve his own path and not just follow his father as so many kids would have done.

The guy's 18 years old he doesn't need to get paid in Europe to sit on the bench (and despite probably being the best young player in the world he would have been a bench player... that's just how Europe is), he's going to make millions in his career and he knows it.

Although to be honest I'm not sure why UNC missed out. They would have been a force with Wiggins.

Jennings was the number 1 high school player in the country. He averaged 30+ points and 7 assists as a senior and had he gone to Arizona instead of Europe he probably would have been a top 5 pick when he was drafted. He essentially gave up playing time and a chance to improve his game for 3 million dollars and 15 mins off the bench a night. To me that says he cared about the money more than he did playing basketball which is ironic because if he had been a top 5 pick he'd have easily made up that extra 3 million or so in his rookie contract.

I don't know why you have such an issue with Self. The Morris Twins, Cole Aldrich, Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey were all 4 star recruits out of high school who have been, or will be, drafted in the 1st round of the draft, hell, even McLemore was a 4 star recruit and he's about to be a top 3 pick in the NBA draft. I think that's a pretty impressive track record of improving players. Granted I'll also say that Mario Chalmers was a 5 star recruit who's nothing more than a roleplayer and was drafted in the 2nd round but honestly I don't think Self is the reason why Chalmers is not an NBA star. I think it says a lot about Wiggins that he didn't go to Kentucky because he himself said that a Kentucky team with him on it would probably win a National Championship and I also respect his decision (as much as it was disappointing) to carve his own path and not just follow his father as so many kids would have done.

The guy's 18 years old he doesn't need to get paid in Europe to sit on the bench (and despite probably being the best young player in the world he would have been a bench player... that's just how Europe is), he's going to make millions in his career and he knows it.

Although to be honest I'm not sure why UNC missed out. They would have been a force with Wiggins.

When your that young and someone offers you 3 million to do something you have been doing all your life, why not take the money?

I can not knock someone for trying to better them selves and there family. it is easy for you or any one to say dont take 3 million, but let someone offer it to you. Then, we can see if you would turn it down. 100,000 would be hard to turn down, especially when college give you 0 dollars to play and just makes money off of you. They will feed you, house you and cloth you, but lets keep it real - It not much in comparison to what they make off young kids. God forbid they take some cash they earned. It is actually sad.