Sign in to follow this  
D-BoFats

This should be our starting point guard...

Check out these stats:

14.6 PPG

2.9 RPG

4.9 APG

1.1 SPG

0.483 FG%

0.424 3P%

28.8 MPG

During the last 20 games of the season, when he was the starter, his scoring went up (16.6 PPG), and his assists went up (5.45 APG).

His shooting ability also makes him a perfect complement to Dwight Howard. I'd give this guy a chance.

Check out these stats:

14.6 PPG

2.9 RPG

4.9 APG

1.1 SPG

0.483 FG%

0.424 3P%

28.8 MPG

During the last 20 games of the season, when he was the starter, his scoring went up (16.6 PPG), and his assists went up (5.45 APG).

His shooting ability also makes him a perfect complement to Dwight Howard. I'd give this guy a chance.

I knew someone would eventually do something like this......

I really do see him improving vastly under Van Gundy's system, and then everyone will see just how much talent he has.

I feel like I'm a minority being a Jameer supporter.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

I really do see him improving vastly under Van Gundy's system, and then everyone will see just how much talent he has.

Because you are. Meer just doesn't play well as a PG. Has too much of a 'shoot first' mentality when the position requires more of a 'pass first' mentality. He thinks he can make these buzzer beaters when he really can't, and whether that was a result of BHill or not is immaterial. You're the leader of the team on the court, and sometimes a commander on the field has to do something other than what the general ordered. Opposing teams knew what would happen if we needed a last second buzzer-beater.

Meer would dribble out the entire clock (to prevent an offensive rebound and a reset i'm guessing), and throw up a prayer and hope it drops. So they all collapse on him (which is where the GOOD pgs dish the ball to the open man), and deny his short frame from even SEEING the basket, let alone getting off a high-percentage shot.

I would like to see him coming off the bench to provide that spark that's sometimes needed with his ability to penetrate. But as for actually starting?? He needs to go to John Stockton Camp a few times first, drill into his head that he's there to facilitate others, not himself.....

quote:
Originally posted by HighAngleEd:

quote:

Because you are. Meer just doesn't play well as a PG. Has too much of a 'shoot first' mentality when the position requires more of a 'pass first' mentality. He thinks he can make these buzzer beaters when he really can't, and whether that was a result of BHill or not is immaterial. You're the leader of the team on the court, and sometimes a commander on the field has to do something other than what the general ordered. Opposing teams knew what would happen if we needed a last second buzzer-beater.

Meer would dribble out the entire clock (to prevent an offensive rebound and a reset i'm guessing), and throw up a prayer and hope it drops. So they all collapse on him (which is where the GOOD pgs dish the ball to the open man), and deny his short frame from even SEEING the basket, let alone getting off a high-percentage shot.

I would like to see him coming off the bench to provide that spark that's sometimes needed with his ability to penetrate. But as for actually starting?? He needs to go to John Stockton Camp a few times first, drill into his head that he's there to facilitate others, not himself.....

He's made a lot of clutch plays and big shots, so I wouldn't hold missing a few against him. Who else could we have counted on to make the big plays? I think it was appropriate for Jameer to put the team on his shoulder at the end of games, as he was our best player at creating his own shot.

With Rashard Lewis, expect to see a different (pass first) Jameer Nelson next season. He's a very good point guard (a poor man's Tony Parker) under the right coach, with more freedom.

And this thread isn't even about Jameer. It's about the unkown mystery point guard that I'd love to have on our team, given the mentioned stats. Let's leave names out of this. Would you want those stats I mentioned? If so, I think we can get them with a new coach.

quote:

quote:

I'm sorry, but I just can't agree on the statement that PG "requires" a pass-first mentality in order for the team to succeed. Funny, how most people have forgotten just how many big plays Jameer made during the season. We may not have even made the playoffs last season if not for him, and that would've caused a riot.

Jason Terry, Kirk Hinrich, Baron Davis, Tony Parker, Deron Williams etc. all have "shoot-first" mentality, and yet they've all had great success. As long as you have a solid supporting cast and a franchise player, the PG doesn't necessarily have to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders. It also has a lot to do with the game plan.

This is similar to why the Lakers succeeded with Fisher, and why the Bulls with Paxson.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm sorry, but I just can't agree on the statement that PG "requires" a pass-first mentality in order for the team to succeed. Funny, how most people have forgotten just how many big plays Jameer made during the season. We may not have even made the playoffs last season if not for him, and that would've caused a riot.

Jason Terry, Kirk Hinrich, Baron Davis, Tony Parker, Deron Williams etc. all have "shoot-first" mentality, and yet they've all had great success. As long as you have a solid supporting cast and a franchise player, the PG doesn't necessarily have to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders. It also has a lot to do with the game plan.

This is similar to why the Lakers succeeded with Fisher, and why the Bulls with Paxson.

i agree but...

Terry has Dirk Stack and Harris... Jameer/Arroyo had...Turkoglu?

Kirk has Gordon,Deng... Meer/Arroyo had... Grant Hill?

Baron is the only one in these names that put his team on his shoulders but again they are just made to beat Dallas... not SA PHX UTH or even Denver.

Parker has Duncan 20ppg night in and out , Ginobili also is a big scorer for them

Deron Williams is a GREAT pg....yes he is a shoot first pass2cond but if he gets 30 points i secure u he will dish at least 7 assist

My point is that this guys were succesful bcause they had a go to guy who made their jobs more easy.... Neither Jammer or Carlos had a guy who completed a BHill no brainer play... GHill made a great efort last season but whe he scored it was bcause he created his own play... same for Turk or Howard... Both of them didnt dish even 5apg beacuse they were force to shoot when we were in a poor night

Now we have an underrated scorer in Rashard who will try to prove all of us wrong in his big contract who will help Meer and Carlos to make their jobs more easy... and with SVG more open minded system both of our pg will have a breakout year.... i hope both of them stay at orlando at least one year to prove that Bhill was the reason for their bad games..i think if we give the oportunity to Jameer again the same should be on Carlos because the both didnt show what they can really do and no one can dissagree with that because we all were dissapointed with both of them.. even the Meer supporters or Arroyo supporters like me...

THIS IS OUR YEAR... IF i AM WRONG ABOUT THIS PG PREDICTION >>> IM GAY >>>> I SWEAR IT...

quote:
Originally posted by D-BoFats:

Check out these stats:

14.6 PPG

2.9 RPG

4.9 APG

1.1 SPG

0.483 FG%

0.424 3P%

28.8 MPG

stats are pretty average,

if he isn't a hell of a defender then he's nothing more than a backup to me

Check out these stats:

14.6 PPG

2.9 RPG

4.9 APG

1.1 SPG

0.483 FG%

0.424 3P%

28.8 MPG

The next season in 76 games check out these stats

13.6 PPG

2.9 RPG

4.3 APG

1.1 SPG

2.4 TO

0.42 FG%

0.38 3P%

29 MPG

This stats are average, plus he is a lazy defender and Turnover prone Pg.

quote:
Originally posted by CRAZY SERB:

quote:

Check out these stats:

14.6 PPG

2.9 RPG

4.9 APG

1.1 SPG

0.483 FG%

0.424 3P%

28.8 MPG

stats are pretty average,

if he isn't a hell of a defender then he's nothing more than a backup to me

28 Miles Per Galon????? I know!!! That's a HYBRID!!!! I WON!!!!!

everyone has made good points but for me its not about playing as it is his attitude. nelson had no interest in passing to certain players and almost never penetrated and passed out to open shooter. his demeanor on the bench was horrible. laughing, joking, and showing no interest in the game when we are getting killed. these are not qualities of a leader. i am surely looking to see this new pg you refer to. carlos and dooling at least cared about the game and supported the team on the floor. if svg makes a pg out of nelson he will be nba coach of the year. by the way i dont dislike nelson i just think he would be better off the bench as a scorer. we need a smarter, unselfish player at the pg. bring on your new guy. jacklj