Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

For all the blame everything on the coach people, here's my take.

Ball Junkie so what's the point? That christians are soft therefore Dwight is soft and that's why we don't win maybe? Dwight is not Shaq, that's just something B.Hill has wanted to turn him into. Dwight's clone on the floor, Darko, is even less of a Shaq, yet B.Hill wants him to lay the exact game as Howard.

I'm a Christian too and I agree even less with you now because it's clear for some reason you like making apologies for arguably the worst coach in the NBA in recent memory. Doc Rivers would be an upgrade here!

What was the point of the stereotype? Yes David Robinson was perhaps a bit soft but that was his personality. Instead look at Kevin Johnson, AC Green, Mark Price, I think JJ Reddick might be a Christian too.. all those guys weren't soft and played with heart and even swagger.

quote:
When a movie bombs, who is at fault, the academy award winning actor that was cast to play the part, or the writer and director for composing a crappy screenplay with a crappy plot and crappy special effects?

Exactly.

I'll say it again and I'm done, "a coach can't contol your production and your effort. It doen't matter if your getting 10, 20 or 40 minutes a night. If the will is there, there's a way."

I didn't let my coach control my work ethic. I made things happen when given the opportunity. I gave him no choice but to put me in the game.

Coaching in my opinion is over-rated. It's part of the equation but it's certainly not the end-all.

quote:
quote:

When a movie bombs, who is at fault, the academy award winning actor that was cast to play the part, or the writer and director for composing a crappy screenplay with a crappy plot and crappy special effects?

All the above ...It's a team thing!!!

Before anyone gets so happy how the media, Otis and whatever other inept personalities thrash our players.. remember the real record of this coach. Remember how last year we beat every tough team and our dominance early this season while our team was still motivated.

Don't forget B.Hill's 3 STRAIGHT playoff sweeps with the best starting 5 in the NBA. This is the same coach his own players got so sick of, they rallied to fire him. What other NBA coach can boast that in his resume?

Now if our friend Junkie and other B.Hill apologists could answer that question for me.

"None so blind as those who will not see"

quote:
Originally posted by magicfreak#1:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

I'll say it again and I'm done, "a coach can't contol your production and your effort. It doen't matter if your getting 10, 20 or 40 minutes a night. If the will is there, there's a way."

I didn't let my coach control my work ethic. I made things happen when given the opportunity. I gave him no choice but to put me in the game.

Coaching in my opinion is over-rated. It's part of the equation but it's certainly not the end-all.

So how do you explain coaches that continually win, and those who continually lose. just luck, or they always get poor players, I don't think so.

Look if you are the coach, and a guy dosen't give 100% then you put someone in that will,

There is a bench full of rookies, that have hustled every second they have been on the floor. That creates friendly competition, on a team, and is only one way good coaches do control their players efforts. Coaching is also important when you have young players, (especially players that skip college and come straight to the NBA) There is a lot of coaching to happen, making sure that players, especially the pointguard recognizes, and finds, and understands how to create mismatches. I don't see any of this, It sounds like you just had a craaapppy coach, and you were a very good player.

Junkie,

I get the point of your post. Several very well respected coaches shared the personality of your coach. Tom Osborne and Tony Dungy immediately come to mind. Both were very well respected in addition to having long standing reps for being unable to win the big one.

When their personalities were balanced with the right players, it produced championships. But, consistency was never a problem for either and their reps as motivators was vastly under appreciated. Personally, I think their biggest problem was that they didn't eat, sleep, and breath football. When matched with players who did, it was the perfect balance.

Every player responds positively to a different approach. Some need to be pushed, others need support, some only need instruction. Good coaches know how to push the right buttons for every player. Bad coaches fail to adapt to each player and get tuned out.

The consistent lack of effort over the past 40 games is both a coaching and personel problem. Grant Hill & Tony Battie are suppossed to provide veteran leadership and it's been missing. Jameer has been known as a fiery competitor and now we see him laughing on the bench down 20.

The players are not above blame, but there is an obvious disconnect between B. Hill and his players. A coach can't afford to lose their team for extended periods of time as B. Hill did this season. His job is to get the most out of his team. He's failed during both Magic era's, plain, and simple.

The reason I find it difficult to blame the players is because every single guy on the team has underachieved this year. Are we seriously going to sit here and say that this problem is related to our personel? Or can we finally all agree that their is more of a foundational problem and it begins with the coach?

Last night's victory is a perfect example of my point. The Magic had lost 22 of their last 29 games and finally Brian Hill changes his lineup, his rotation and his gameplan. The result: Victory. Why does it take so long to make adjustments that casual fans can recognize are necessary? Why do our players compete with more fire when the shackles are removed? Why is there a cohesive, impressive effort displyed by our players?

This all resulted, not from the determination of the players alone, but because Brian Hill finally made the long awaited adjustments that we have all been begging for. I for one, was delighted by last nights game. If it continues, I will be the first one waiting in a short line to congratulate Brian Hill for coming to his senses. I will however, ask him why it took so darn long.

What an absolute waste of thread space. Really Ball Junkie. Sure you had a fun time with basketball at that level but its not the NBA. This is why so many college coaches and players never even have a shot at being ball boys in the NBA. NBA ball is not about pom-poms and rah-rah. Its about Player utilization, rotations, adjustments, offensive and defensive schemes and plays. NBA level motivation comes out of playing time, belief in the system and the team. But lets put the fork in this whole argument.

IF you were self motivated out of your mind and the coach didn't play you would it mean anything? Were you going to score from the bench?

If in critical stretches your coach put on players that were tanking and having a bad night would you single handedly turn the tide with enthusiasm? If your self motivated enthusiasm was that good you'd be in the NBA.

If your point guard never passed the ball but your coach thought he was better than sliced raisin bread how many points would you have? and how many times would your self motivation have you rip the ball out of your own Point guards hand?

Don't be so gullible people. If enthusiasm was all that was needed then why last night were there changes in who was on the floor when? and why incidentally were they some of the same changes we have been crying for for months?

If the magic turn this around it will because the fans educated the organization and not the fans who "believed" but those who started sites like firebrianhill.org, who wrote to the organization and the media, who made the coaching decisions part of the the news coverage that inevitably led to pressure coming down.

It seems as of late, when you ask this question of whether it's the coach or the players not being self motivated, that is resulting in our recent woes. It gets pretty divided on this board of who's to blame. In my opinion, there is enough blame to go around.

With that said, you guys are extremely knowledgeable so I will post this question:

Some say that Larry Brown in one of the best coaches that ever coached in the NBA. He has been mentioned with the likes of Phil Jackson, Pat Riley and so on.

Why was it that he wasn't able to win in Philly with the coach killing Iverson, but he brought a Championship to Detroit? Then he bomb miserably with those misfits in New York. What made Detroit so different that he could easily motivate them, but he got tuned out by Iverson and the whole Knicks roster?

I tend to agree with the "everyone's at fault"-theory. A coach can get in players' faces, yell, scream, rant; or be a humble, quiet teacher; or both; or neither.

He can draw up great plays and put in the players he thinks are the best to execute those plays.

But he can't go out there and take the shot for them, dig? Brian's got some culpability in this: he IS the coach, after all, and it's his job to motivate the players.

But the players are also PROFESSIONAL basketball players and need to realize that, at this level, it's not really a game anymore.

So it's everyone's fault.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicmaninMiami:

What an absolute waste of thread space. Really Ball Junkie. Sure you had a fun time with basketball at that level but its not the NBA. This is why so many college coaches and players never even have a shot at being ball boys in the NBA. NBA ball is not about pom-poms and rah-rah. Its about Player utilization, rotations, adjustments, offensive and defensive schemes and plays. NBA level motivation comes out of playing time, belief in the system and the team. But lets put the fork in this whole argument.

IF you were self motivated out of your mind and the coach didn't play you would it mean anything? Were you going to score from the bench?

If in critical stretches your coach put on players that were tanking and having a bad night would you single handedly turn the tide with enthusiasm? If your self motivated enthusiasm was that good you'd be in the NBA.

If your point guard never passed the ball but your coach thought he was better than sliced raisin bread how many points would you have? and how many times would your self motivation have you rip the ball out of your own Point guards hand?

Don't be so gullible people. If enthusiasm was all that was needed then why last night were there changes in who was on the floor when? and why incidentally were they some of the same changes we have been crying for for months?

If the magic turn this around it will because the fans educated the organization and not the fans who "believed" but those who started sites like firebrianhill.org, who wrote to the organization and the media, who made the coaching decisions part of the the news coverage that inevitably led to pressure coming down.

Although I agree with your overall perspective on this matter...Can't you ever compose a post that isn't so **** confrontational? All you do is rip people for expressing their opinion. If you think a thread is a waste of time, don't reply. If you have an opinion that difers from others, state your opinion without pointing out that you think your counterpart is an idiot. A liitle courtesy when posting would make reading your posts a lot more enjoyable for the rest of us. You're obviously an informed fan. So also are the majority of members on this board. Give other members the respect they deserve and I think you will find that your opinions wil be received with a little more thoughtfulness.