Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Chad Ford "rips" Otis for mis-management of our salary cap! (ESPN Insider)

quote:
I'm going to wait until the games are played. Yes, it's quite possible that we're irrevocably, totally screwed forever, but there's also a possibility that we have a good team here.

without doubt of course the possibility remains but we discuss things as present.

Hard to argue with the article. Certain members of this board were saying unless we were Rich Devos, it doesn't matter and we shouldn't care how much we paid Lewis. I'm glad to see this article pointing out how little common sense those posters have!

Otis could not have done a worse job this summer. Why put the Magic behind the 8-ball for no reason?

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

I think you would lose your wife more quickly by paying $120,000.00 for a Honda than if you spent it on something actually worth that amount.

I know where you're coming from Marc. Many times you attempt to fill the "voice of reason" role. Problem is, there's nothing reasonable about losing three NBA quality assets without a single piece of compensation just so that you can overpay a marginal all-star talent.

There isn't, I don't know how it happened, maybe it was blind loyalty to Grant but we should have been putting feelers out there to see if he was coming back and I don't want to hear any of this, I needed the offseason to think about it crap. If he couldn't give us an answer, then the answer should have been, well we can't take a chance so you are going to GS. There is no way on Earth that Darko, Grant, and Diener could not have been packaged for SOMETHING. We had to know that Darko would be hard to sign and Diener would not be back.

I think Rashard will be good, in the East I can't think of too many other forwards that are that much better than him. Bosh, Lebron, Deng, that would be about it, so it's possible he is an all-star in the East. It's all going to come down to whether he makes us win. That is going to cure everything because none of the money issue is going to mean a thing if we are winning.

quote:
Grant, and Diener

On the two above, considering the interest from Phoenix. Something could've been Raja Bell? At least something.

great article, I agree with every single point

btw: in my opinion, we were in our route to make a new NBA dynasty for next decade until our management ruin it

I still believe in this team and our ability to be a contender in the future,

but I lost all my confidence to our management and Otis especially

btw: in my opinion, we were in our route to make a new NBA dynasty for next decade until our management ruin it

I still believe in this team and our ability to be a cont

I still believe in this team and our ability

Why in the world would you give Otis Smith all that praise. I'll be honest I was a huge fan of the man before the free agency period began I thought he handled our coaching fiascoe the best anyone could have especially after Donovan punked out.

But dont give this guy a free pass. He has repeatedly said he likes our roster the way it is and he feels comfortable with it. The reality is Otis was looking at this thing with blinders on, he knew the guy he wanted and he did what he had to in order to get him even if that meant bidding against himself to get him. And how in the world do you let Darko leave for nothing in return? He could have worked out a sign and trade for Lewis but instead he decided to give seattle a second round pick so he could get this thing done right away.

Otis is not a smart business man and obviously doesn't know how to run a franchise. I am absolutely disgusted, it takes me back to our days with John Gabriel.

Otis did exactly what was needed to make us a contender. If you look at all the teams that win championships, they have one common theme. At least 2 allstars (Lakers-kobe/shaq, Miami-wade/shaq, Spurs-duncan/parker or ginobelli). The pistons had several players playing at an allstar level the year they won it all. We have that with Lewis and Howard now. Role players are easy to come by in order to surround our stars. Darko, Hill, and Deiner are role players. As I said before, no big loss.

quote:
Originally posted by ATL_MagicFan:

Otis did exactly what was needed to make us a contender. If you look at all the teams that win championships, they have one common theme. At least 2 allstars (Lakers-kobe/shaq, Miami-wade/shaq, Spurs-duncan/parker or ginobelli). The pistons had several players playing at an allstar level the year they won it all. We have that with Lewis and Howard now. Role players are easy to come by in order to surround our stars. Darko, Hill, and Deiner are role players. As I said before, no big loss.

There are 10 or more teams that have 2 all-stars that haven't won championships also. And the biggest difference is that none of the teams you mentioned have (2) maxed all-stars (and our players have played in 2 all-star games combined).

It looks like we're going to extend Jameer now also due to Otis' man crush. With payroll reaching nearly 60 million for Shard, Dwight & Jameer, do you think Devos will be willing to extend Ariza & JJ when their contracts expire? Those contracts alone would put us into luxury tax land and that's without even considering the other 10 roster spots we need to fill.

Does anyone else besides me think that the Billy Donovan fiasco caused Otis to go into panic mode in the days before the Rashard signing?

I'm referring to the reports that other teams were still trying to woo Rashard and Otis had to be thinking, "if I lose this guy now I'll lose my job and quite possibly this franchise". Meaning, I've got to get this guy signed before he does to me what Billy did.

Therefore he gets that attitude that Chad Ford spoke of, getting Rashard's signature on the dotted line as quickly as possible without thinking about anything else.

That could be a very strong possibility Junkie, he didnt wanna risk losing Lewis so he ensured that we would get him at whatever the neccesary price.

People are sitting here *****ign and moaning but tell me, if we had lost Rashard what would people be saying right now.

I will tell you, they would all be saying why were the Magic so cheap and why couldnt they open up the wallet and this and that and how we are the tragic and how Darko wasnt worth signing if we didnt have a legit scorer.

Sometimes there is no winning with some people