Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Chad Ford "rips" Otis for mis-management of our salary cap! (ESPN Insider)

quote:
Originally posted by nbr34205:

I think we walked around the corner and bought the Honda we've had our eye on, marginally better than the Mitsubishi, but it is used. I just hope its not a lemon.

But it's still at the Porsche price.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by GoM@g!C$:

^^^ amen brother!! It's just could've, should've, would've... what if this what if that... that's what we got, that was the best he could do. Do I stand 100% behind his decision? No! Do I live with it and hope for the best? that's all I can do.

This is the same arguement we have year after year being Magic fans. Just because we are stuck with it, doesn't mean we need to be satisfied with it. Especially this offseason of all offseasons. This was supposed to be the year we took a MAJOR step toward contention. Well, we took one step forward and took three step back. We have mortgaged our entire future on the shoulders of two players. It's not even a calculated risk. It's just a blantantly unnecessary risk.

We had loads of options and instead of exploring them all, or even preparing for the possibility of others, we opened door #1 and were completely content with the prize we won. Too bad when we were walking to the podium to claim our prize we found out about all the ancilary fees, taxes and penalties that would accompany the coveted prize.

I feel your frustration smack, trust me. Just that I know (atleast I hope) that there are more moves to come. There could be some trades coming up, we have some young talent in the summer league that seems to be doing well and the biggest of all that everyone seem to have forgotten about, we hired a great coach on SVG how brought with him a great staff. that alone makes us a better team that we were last year and that my friend is promissing.

quote:

quote:

^^^ amen brother!! It's just could've, should've, would've... what if this what if that... that's what we got, that was the best he could do. Do I stand 100% behind his decision? No! Do I live with it and hope for the best? that's all I can do.

This is the same arguement we have year after year being Magic fans. Just because we are stuck with it, doesn't mean we need to be satisfied with it. Especially this offseason of all offseasons. This was supposed to be the year we took a MAJOR step toward contention. Well, we took one step forward and took three step back. We have mortgaged our entire future on the shoulders of two players. It's not even a calculated risk. It's just a blantantly unnecessary risk.

We had loads of options and instead of exploring them all, or even preparing for the possibility of others, we opened door #1 and were completely content with the prize we won. Too bad when we were walking to the podium to claim our prize we found out about all the ancilary fees, taxes and penalties that would accompany the coveted prize.

This is the type of discussion I enjoy. If there's something I hate, it's the thought police approach.

Stop being negative

I hate all the negativity

leave this board if you're going to be negative

It's our board, isn't it. If I like what I see, I celebrate it, if I don't, I critizise it.

I don't mind the overpaying part, that's part of the game.

It's Otis I'm begining to have a problem with. Arrogance and genius, I'll put up with. Arrogance and mediocrity, I have no patience with.

I said I would wait until the Free agents fell into place before I would judge. Well, it's time to judge and from what I'm reading out there, there's room to critisize. Sources saying he didn't return calls from teams wanting to S&T Darko? Reports from Seattle saying he didn't really press for a S&T right there in the Ford article?

I don't see any conflict from liking the team, rooting for the team, and critisizing the team. And I hope they win 60 games next year and Otis makes me look like a fool for doubting him.

quote:

I feel your frustration smack, trust me. Just that I know (atleast I hope) that there are more moves to come. There could be some trades coming up, we have some young talent in the summer league that seems to be doing well and the biggest of all that everyone seem to have forgotten about, we hired a great coach on SVG how brought with him a great staff. that alone makes us a better team that we were last year and that my friend is promissing.

Here's the thing. Nobody is dissatisfied with our coach, our Summer League players, or the options we have to continue to fortify our roster. That's not what is being discussed here. Those individuals that are critical, are only critical of the Rashard signing as it pertains to keeping Darko or making other possible moves that could have made our team even stronger.

I just don't like that managment had their eye on option number one and were going to pursue it at any cost. That cost has been substantial already and could prove to be even more costly in 5-6 years when we are paying Shard 20+ million. That cost could also become less substantial if Otis is able to pull off a trade or a vet minimum signing like Chris Webber.

Nobody will dispute that things can improve, and hopefully will. What we are disputing is the method that was used in getting the team to this very precarious position.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TheJambo:

People seem to forget, that Otis did not want to destroy the whole team just to keep Darko. We still have our young core intact, except Darko and we added the most coveted free agent on the market this year, that fits perfectly for what our game plan is.

I think this gets to the root of the probelm that people have with this move. Just because Rashard was the biggest free agent this year, in a depleted free agent class, doesn't mean that he is the right piece. And it crtainly doesn't justify paying him that ridiculous contract.

Hypothetical Question, if Hedo Turkoglu was the biggest name in next year's free agent class, would you agree that he is worth 10-15 million just because he is the biggest name?

Here's another car lot analogy for you guys that love the way I kick it.

If you went to a Porsche dealership and all they had left on the lot was a Mitsubishi Eclipse, would you sign the papers to buy that car for $120,000.00?

I do love the car analogies! What if you needed that new car or you would lose your wife and house and you could only afford a new car this year. If the new car was not perfect but fit most of your needs would you still do everything necessary to get it?

Smack, NBR, I don't feel any easier than you do about spending this much because our flexibility is gone. Since we were not properly set up for FA this year, I don't know what other options we really had. Going over the cap by 5 mill or 8 mill is still going over and getting rid of our flexibility, it was just a question of whether we wanted to go over with Vince, Gerald, or Rashard.

We fumbled on Darko, Diener, and Grant...BAD, we needed to get something, picks, role players, sporks, SOMETHING, and we got nothing. That is why I have been taking prescription meds and drinking lighter fluid for the past couple of weeks.

so let me ask you guys a question. Do you believe we are a worst team than last year's?

IMO we are a better team.

1st We hired a 50 times better coach than the one we had.

2 That coach brought with him an excellent staff (especially Ewing for Dwight)

3 We added Lewis who's 22 to 24 ppg are what GHill and Darko averaged together. (yes we did overpaid him) But if you were to over pay one of two... Who would you over pay Darko or Lewis? Darko wanted 10 mil a year!!!!

So to me I'm not 100% satisfied and I don't expect anyone to be, but I do believe we are a better team this year and I do believe we are moving in the right direction.

quote:

quote:

People seem to forget, that Otis did not want to destroy the whole team just to keep Darko. We still have our young core intact, except Darko and we added the most coveted free agent on the market this year, that fits perfectly for what our game plan is.

I think this gets to the root of the probelm that people have with this move. 1)Just because Rashard was the biggest free agent this year, in a depleted free agent class, doesn't mean that he is the right piece. And it crtainly doesn't justify paying him that ridiculous contract.

2)Hypothetical Question, if Hedo Turkoglu was the biggest name in next year's free agent class, would you agree that he is worth 10-15 million just because he is the biggest name?

Here's another car lot analogy for you guys that love the way I kick it.

3)If you went to a Porsche dealership and all they had left on the lot was a Mitsubishi Eclipse, would you sign the papers to buy that car for $120,000.00?

I agree his contract was a little overboard, but to be honest all sports contracts are outragous!!!

1) He was not the biggest name, but the most coveted because he is the most versatile player that creates mis-matches. He also was the the perfect fit for our Inside-Out game with Dwight, and is a post up option when Dwight is resting.

2) Hypothetically this is stupid arguement... Since when has Hedo averaged 20 points a game in 3 straight seasons as a second fiddle in the Western conference, without a Big man.

NEVER Could and NEVER will!!!

3)Only if you

were a complete idiot, because this is about 6 or 7 times what this car is actually worth.... Are you really trying to say we paid Lewis 6 or 7 times what he is actually worth.. What a joke!!!

An analogy is suppose to compare two like situations, not be so blatently one sided to make your argument sound better...

Here is a proper car analogy..

Suppose you are a car collector, and you have every year Mustang in mint condition, except a 1970 Mach 1, and a few other cheaper current models.

You go to an auction to buy this car knowing there are only a few avaliable in the world to match what you are looking for.

At the auction you find out the other collectors are keeping there cars and not selling them, except for one collector willing to let his go to the highest bidder.

Now you know to finish your collection, you need this vehicle, and need to do whatever you can to make sure you get it, you know you will probably overpay a little bit, because of supply and demand, but you are willing to do this to fill the whole in your collection. At the same time you thought of buying a Classic VW bug convertible for the wife, but knew this may not be possible now, since the price for the Mustang probably will be too much to get both.

So you buy the Mustang for a littler more than you wanted, forget the VW.

At this time your wife is a little upset, but gets over it after seeing the full collection of Mustangs on display, after you complete your collection with the cheaper current models to fill in the holes.

The wife(Fans and critics)will be upset for a little while and negative, until she(they) see the big picture..and you win the Trophy for best collection(Championship)....

Hope this helps paint a better picture of why Otis and BVW had to do what they had to do, to get the Magic in the best position to win...

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

I do love the car analogies! What if you needed that new car or you would lose your wife and house and you could only afford a new car this year. If the new car was not perfect but fit most of your needs would you still do everything necessary to get it?

Smack, NBR, I don't feel any easier than you do about spending this much because our flexibility is gone. Since we were not properly set up for FA this year, I don't know what other options we really had. Going over the cap by 5 mill or 8 mill is still going over and getting rid of our flexibility, it was just a question of whether we wanted to go over with Vince, Gerald, or Rashard.

We fumbled on Darko, Diener, and Grant...BAD, we needed to get something, picks, role players, sporks, SOMETHING, and we got nothing. That is why I have been taking prescription meds and drinking lighter fluid for the past couple of weeks.

I think you would lose your wife more quickly by paying $120,000.00 for a Honda than if you spent it on something actually worth that amount.

I know where you're coming from Marc. Many times you attempt to fill the "voice of reason" role. Problem is, there's nothing reasonable about losing three NBA quality assets without a single piece of compensation just so that you can overpay a marginal all-star talent.

quote:

3)Only if you

were a complete idiot, because this is about 6 or 7 times what this car is actually worth.... Are you really trying to say we paid Lewis 6 or 7 times what he is actually worth.. What a joke!!!

An analogy is suppose to compare two like situations, not be so blatently one sided to make your argument sound better...

Suppose you are a car collector, and you have every year Mustang in mint condition, except a 1970 Mach 1, and a few other cheaper current models.

You go to an auction to buy this car knowing there are only a few avaliable in the world to match what you are looking for.

At the auction you find out the other collectors are keeping there cars and not selling them, except for one collector willing to let his go to the highest bidder.

Now you know to finish your collection, you need this vehicle, and need to do whatever you can to make sure you get it, you know you will probably overpay a little bit, because of supply and demand, but you are willing to do this to fill the whole in your collection. At the same time you thought of buying a Classic VW bug convertible for the wife, but knew this may not be possible now, since the price for the Mustang probably will be too much to get both.

So you buy the Mustang for a littler more than you wanted, forget the VW.

At this time your wife is a little upset, but gets over it after seeing the full collection of Mustangs on display, after you complete your collection with the cheaper current models to fill in the holes.

The wife(Fans and critics)will be upset for a little while and negative, until she(they) see the big picture..and you win the Trophy for best collection(Championship)....

Hope this helps paint a better picture of why Otis and BVW had to do what they had to do, to get the Magic in the best position to win...

First off, I wasn't saying that Turk was producing at the level of a top-tier free agent, I simply said, what if he was the biggest name (meaning there was an absence of other big names). This is also why I only put his hypothetical saary at 10-15 million rather than 20 million.

Secondly, your analogy doesn't work either. We don't have a complete collection of Mustangs. We have 1 or two at most. So to use your analogy to disrupt your point...

You are a classic car collector and have a three car garage filled with mint Mustangs. You go to a car show where there are several classic Mustangs being auctioned to the highest bidder. Because you are so arrogant, you bid on the rarest of all Mustangs and pay twice what it's true value is. But in order to do so, you must sell two of the Mustangs in your current collection to make room in the garage. Problem is, there aren't any buyers for your 1979 Shelby because all the other collectors know you're overleveraged. So you leave it out in the front yard with a hand-made sign on it until you finally decide to give it away because you can no longer afford to have it sitting on your lawn rusting while you pay the expenses for all vehicles.

quote:

on the terms instilled, lol. very good.

However, classic cars hold there value and stay true or rise in value. Thats what we hope is the scenario.

Oh, Oh and Rashard Lewis and no Mach 1, but that wasn't your point, lol.

I'm going to wait until the games are played. Yes, it's quite possible that we're irrevocably, totally screwed forever, but there's also a possibility that we have a good team here.

The simple fact is that, thanks to Brian Hill, we have no real idea what this team is capable of. Are they the team that wins 14 games in a row, or are they the team that drags itself across the finish line into the playoffs thanks in large part to other teams choking.