Sign in to follow this  
Ellzolo

NBA Offseason 2013 Thread

Jack is looked at as an underrated player with good intangibles by many outside of the Magic kingdom. I see him as someone who has hit the ceiling already, but he is fine as a backup.

Jack is looked at as an underrated player with good intangibles by many outside of the Magic kingdom. I see him as someone who has hit the ceiling already, but he is fine as a backup.

He's a bit of a chucker at times.

Also, the annual "Worst Free Agent Contract" awards race is off and running this year.

Early favorites have to be Detroit giving Josh Smith 14m a year and Dallas giving Jose Calderon 7.25m a year.

But watch out for that Milwaukee dark horse, Zaza Pachulia, who somehow managed to convince someone he was worth 5m a season. The mind boggles.

I think Calderon takes the prize. A soon to be 32 year old who cant play defense, making 2 mil above the league average, and IMO has had an unremarkable career for being so highly touted and compensated.

At least with Josh Smith, you can still hope he puts it together and lives up to that contract. But there is no hope, no light, no nothing for Calderon. It's only going to get worse, much much worse.

I think Calderon takes the prize. A soon to be 32 year old who cant play defense, making 2 mil above the league average, and IMO has had an unremarkable career for being so highly touted and compensated.

At least with Josh Smith, you can still hope he puts it together and lives up to that contract. But there is no hope, no light, no nothing for Calderon. It's only going to get worse, much much worse.

It's especially bad when you consider that it looks like they are going to sign Harris as well.

Also, the annual "Worst Free Agent Contract" awards race is off and running this year.

Early favorites have to be Detroit giving Josh Smith 14m a year and Dallas giving Jose Calderon 7.25m a year.

But watch out for that Milwaukee dark horse, Zaza Pachulia, who somehow managed to convince someone he was worth 5m a season. The mind boggles.

Honorable mention to the Hawks, giving Kyle Korver 6m a year

He's solid and worth that money

He's 32 and has never been even a league average player. In fact, he's a player who has really only done one thing at a level above league average in his career: shoot 3s. And he just got above league average salary to play until he's 36. And again: all he can do is shoot 3s. Just like Steve Novak, only Novak is 2 years younger and making more than 2m a season less than Korver will be. And Novak is better at shooting 3s than Korver.

That deal is pants-on-head ridiculous, and to suggest anything else is to not even vaguely understand the economics of basketball.

He's 32 and has never been even a league average player. In fact, he's a player who has really only done one thing at a level above league average in his career: shoot 3s. And he just got above league average salary to play until he's 36. And again: all he can do is shoot 3s. Just like Steve Novak, only Novak is 2 years younger and making more than 2m a season less than Korver will be. And Novak is better at shooting 3s than Korver.

That deal is pants-on-head ridiculous, and to suggest anything else is to not even vaguely understand the economics of basketball.

I'm glad you made that point and I agree to a certain extent. I'm bored so I'll continue this.

The way Novak plays compared to Korver is similar in a general sense. They are both top notch shooters. Novak is a basic stationary shooter who can't really do much else. Tell him to curl off a screen and make a split decion pass to a cutting teammate, he can't do that on a regular basis. This is something that Korver does quite well, that is making unbelievably quick decisions. This sounds ridiculous so let me explain.

For example, the Chicago Bulls ran this play for Korver called 2-Up (or something of that nature) in which Korver ran underneath the basket, the PG has the ball at the top of the key. Two screens are made for Korver, one on opposite sides of the lane. Korver screens to one side, the remaining wing player curls off the other, and the screener releases towards the basket. Korver either shoots it in stride or makes a quick pass towards the cutting screener for an inside bucket. This is just one example, some things are not well represented on paper, but Korver has the confidence of his coaches to have specific plays drawn out for him to make lightning quick decisions. This is something a Steve Novak cannot do at this point.

Experience and reliability is what Korver brings to a team aside from his shooting. He doesn't turn the ball over often, in fact he averages just 1 turnover per game during his entire career. His quickness is vastly underrated. His defense isn't a glaring defect in his game, but it does need improvement. I still say he's worth that money and we'll see during the regular season.

The Boston Globe reports that Glen Davis (left foot surgery) recently had a "setback" while working out at his alma mater LSU.

The Globe speculates that "this latest tweak may cause him to take most of the summer off." We'll keep an eye on Big Baby's health in the coming weeks, but it still sounds like he'll be ready to participate in Orlando's training camp.

http://www.rotoworld...ent-with-denver

Agree. Shocking deal.

A GREAT backup I think. Not a starter by any means, but solid as hell coming off the bench.