Sign in to follow this  
Ellzolo

NBA Offseason 2013 Thread

I agree. There were so many variables that it is hard to judge Jacque Vaughn on this season. I would have liked to see us make less mistakes on defense where the other team got easy lay-ups as the season progressed, but as you said we did keep changing personnel.

I think the personnel will be a lot more stable next season. Most of our players will have had at least one year in the NBA. I don't expect us to compete for a significant playoff spot next year but I do expect our defense to be better, with significantly fewer mistakes.

I think it's possible JV may be judged somewhat on next season, not just 2014-2015. If there continue to be many defensive mistakes leading to easy points for other teams, and if teams continue to regularly score 60+ against us during 1st halves, I believe questions will come up.

I think jv will be judged mostly on player development. I don't think rob minds losing games next year because of the draft placing in 2014. Rob is in a win win situation. Wins or high draft choice.

The big key will come in the offseason and trading dead line. If we don't keep the vets (baby, nelson, aa) and we don't sign any big names with the te or fa, we are looking to tank. If we keep our vets, than we will improve.

Here's a crazy thought: what if we made a deal with the Thunder including Nelson? maybe, that Toronto lottery pick and some salary? Makes sense for both squads with Westbrook out for a while.

I think jv will be judged mostly on player development. I don't think rob mines losing games next year because of the draft placing in 2014. Rob is in a win win situation. Wins or high draft choice.

The big key will come in the offseason and trading dead line. If we don't keep the vets (baby, nelson, aa) and we don't sign any big names with the te or fa, we are looking to tank. If we keep our vets, than we will improve.

It depends a little on what you mean by player development. If we continue to see sloppiness on defense, even if it looks like some of the individual players are improving, to me that's a problem.

I think defense depends less on talent than offense. No doubt we have young and athletic players. Defense has a lot to do with attitude, intensity, and being in the right place at the right time. To me a lot of that is a reflection on the coaching.

I certainly don't mind if we lose a lot of games next year, but we shouldn't be getting blown out repeatedly in the first half. We need to make the other teams earn every point. As long as I see that kind of defense from our guys, I'll be satisfied no matter what the record.

It depends a little on what you mean by player development. If we continue to see sloppiness on defense, even if it looks like some of the individual players are improving, to me that's a problem.

I think defense depends less on talent than offense. No doubt we have young and athletic players. Defense has a lot to do with attitude, intensity, and being in the right place at the right time. To me a lot of that is a reflection on the coaching.

I certainly don't mind if we lose a lot of games next year, but we shouldn't be getting blown out repeatedly in the first half. We need to make the other teams earn every point. As long as I see that kind of defense from our guys, I'll be satisfied no matter what the record.

we were in a lot of games last year. We gave up a lot of points from opposing guards, but some of those loses were because of scoring or the lack there of. I just don't feel that jv will be judged much next year because our competitive window is marked for 2014-2015.

We will have a lot of cash, two 2014 picks, and our young players (including out 2013 pick) will have some seasoning to them.

Here's a crazy thought: what if we made a deal with the Thunder including Nelson? maybe, that Toronto lottery pick and some salary? Makes sense for both squads with Westbrook out for a while.

Westbrook just has a meniscus tear. Not a big deal. He'll easily be back by next season. I think possibly trading AA to them is more realistic, especially if KMart wants a sizable deal.

Westbrook just has a meniscus tear. Not a big deal. He'll easily be back by next season. I think possibly trading AA to them is more realistic, especially if KMart wants a sizable deal.

for some reason I was thinking it was a torn acl. doops.

we were in a lot of games last year. We gave up a lot of points from opposing guards, but some of those loses were because of scoring or the lack there of. I just don't feel that jv will be judged much next year because our competitive window is marked for 2014-2015.

We will have a lot of cash, two 2014 picks, and our young players (including out 2013 pick) will have some seasoning to them.

Well you may be right about that but I hope you aren't. I think there need to be benchmarks for a coach to meet every year, even if the team is not expected to compete for a playoff spot. Giving the coach a two year free pass no matter what, even if for example the team continues to look disorganized on defense, is not a good idea as far as I'm concerned.

JV was very supportive of the players last year. That is a good thing with a young team. At the same time, you have to have expectations that you clearly communicate. Anyone who's raised a child knows that you don't praise the child when they've done something wrong. I didn't hear much of JV holding the team to any standards at all last year. Now, maybe he felt they were very fragile because of their youth and roster changes. Fair enough. I just want to see a little different JV this upcoming season.

Interesting bit about the Wolves:

In a video interview, Jerry Zgoda of the Star Tribune says that he isn't exactly sure what the hiring of Flip Saunders means for Rick Edelman. Zgoda also mentions that Saunders' offseason goal is to add perimeter shooters and "balance the roster," which he interprets to mean that the Timberwolves will try to land a shooting guard with good size and see what they can get for Derrick Williams.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com

How about a simple trade of AA for Roy (whom we'd cut) and the late 1st MN has from Memphis. This would allow us to clear salary and pick up another 1st: http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=b6rnqwa

EDIT: Please note that Roy's contract is not guaranteed for next season: http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/MIN.html

Interesting bit about the Wolves:

http://www.hoopsrumors.com

How about a simple trade of AA for Roy (whom we'd cut) and the late 1st MN has from Memphis. This would allow us to clear salary and pick up another 1st: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b6rnqwa

Is that really the best package you think we'd get for Afflalo? I dunno, I value him higher than that.

Is that really the best package you think we'd get for Afflalo? I dunno, I value him higher than that.

Hey, I'm all about getting more for him! I just hope he gets moved this summer, along with the rest of our vets. Keep in mind he's owed a lot of money and this summer there are several decent FA SGs: T. Allen, Redick, K. Mart, etc.

I'm all for trading Afflalo to the Wolves but I feel like taking on Roy's contract and giving up AA (who we're assuming the Wolves want in this trade scenario) is worth more than just a late 1st. I'd at least want a 2nd round pick thrown in for the money we're going to be paying Roy not to play.