Sign in to follow this  
Ellzolo

NBA Offseason 2013 Thread

I don't see why Noel would play the 4 and Vuc would play the 5. Vucevic would be a much better PF than Nerlens.

No he wouldn't. He couldn't handle the mobility of today's fours. Vuc is a center, by every definition of the term center. Noel has elite athleticsm that allows him to play either.

• Upvote 2

I don't see why Noel would play the 4 and Vuc would play the 5. Vucevic would be a much better PF than Nerlens.

Not sure the position matters. Just have Noel defend the more athletic player at the 4 or 5 or the guy with lesser offense so he can help as a weak side defender/shot blocker...whichever strategy is more sound on any given night.

Offensively, Vucevic makes more sense playing PF than Nerlens does. Nerlens is good for oops and rebounding on offense, that's about it. He doesn't have a shot or any game away from the basket. Vucevic has some game away from the basket and would still be able to rebound as a 4. Defensively positions don't mean anything, it's just matching up with other players.

• Upvote 1

Offensively, Vucevic makes more sense playing PF than Nerlens does. Nerlens is good for oops and rebounding on offense, that's about it. He doesn't have a shot or any game away from the basket. Vucevic has some game away from the basket and would still be able to rebound as a 4. Defensively positions don't mean anything, it's just matching up with other players.

I disagree slightly, only in that you don't get to choose how other teams will match up and defend you and your going to run the offense to Vuc's and Noel's strengths regardless of what position you call it. Its the defensive match-ups that you have control over and that would sort of define who is "playing" C or PF on a given night...not that it really matters (like you said, and I completely agree with this, it just depends on the matchups). I think it could work because Vuc is a capable shooter and Noel could just crash the offensive boards and concentrate on wreaking havoc defensively.

Not sure the position matters. Just have Noel defend the more athletic player at the 4 or 5 or the guy with lesser offense so he can help as a weak side defender/shot blocker...whichever strategy is more sound on any given night.

Agree with this.

very simple plan for the offseason-to trade as many veterans as we can, draft Smart, try to get as many picks as possible in 2014. During the season to play young players all the time.

Then I'd try to move Baby. Perhaps all we could do is something like Baby for Camby:

http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=cruqjdg

Not exciting and not a full salary dump, but I don't believe Camby would add wins next year by taking PT away from the young guys. In fact, I believe Camby would want a buyout. (And he's only owed about 1 mil in '14-'15). Meanwhile, I'm sure a healthy Baby would help NY. (It stinks Baby got hurt because moving him might prove a little more challenging).

Wow I thought the same exact scenario when I read adelman's comment.

I would try to get Shved. We're getting hosed otherwise.

Turns out that Shved is quite stinky