Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

Moe Harkless

It's time for a good old positivity thread, since this season has been very short on that kinda stuff. I'd like to take this time to thank our boy Hennigan for pantsing the Lakers and 76'ers in that trade back before the season began. Yes that's right I said pantsing them. Pulled the wool over their eyes. Highway robbery. Ripped them off. Stole their lunch money.

Ok maybe that's all a little bit much. And although most would look at the teams records they would think the Lakers got the better end of the deal, that only tells half the story. The Lakers got an all-star center in his prime sure, but also got a player that has still not signed long term, is putting up his worst numbers since his rookie season, is proving to be a locker room cancer, and is also looking like the big man version of T-Mac after back surgery. At the same time the Magic dumped one of their more worthless contracts in Duhon on them as well.

This is of course not even factoring in how bad the 76'ers got it here as well. Figuring they got a future franchise center, they instead received a head case that still has yet to play a game for them and has not even been signed beyond this year. Hennigan also at the same time got them to take on another bad contract in J-Rich.

And what did the Magic get? Well we know we got a young stud Center in Vucevic, a guy who is a nightly double double and already one of the better rebounding big men in the game at a young age. But what I would like to focus on is Moe Harkless. At the beginning of the year this dude struggled to even find the court and when he did he looked lost on it anyway. Now look at the kid. He has been fantastic on both offense and defense, attacking the rim with some authority, shooting a solid clip from 3 point range, and blocking shots every where. I loved Bleacher report's write up on him (and I very rarely like what they say about anyone) in their rookie rankings:

6. Moe Harkless, Orlando Magic

Stock Report: Up

Last Week's Rank: 8

Moe Harkless went off on Oklahoma City, putting up 25 points, nine rebounds, four blocks and four steals. He's now scored in double figures in 16 of his last 18 games and is getting awfully comfortable with the NBA spacing and pace.

Harkless is a stud prospect who's going to get better and better as his body fills out. He has power forward instincts on the interior and a smooth approach on the perimeter, with fluid athleticism and long arms for a wing.

Once his jumper improves, Harkless could end up looking like an alternate version of Rudy Gay.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1578762-nba-rookie-stock-watch-biggest-risers-and-fallers-heading-into-final-stretch/page/6

And when you think about the fact that he is one of the youngest players in the league? Imagine what happens when he has a full offseason of training with the team that he can maximize to his benefit. I'm not saying this kid is the next LBJ. But I think Hennigan nailed a future fringe all-star in this trade. Combined with him burglarizing the Bucks for Udrih and Harris, and I think Hennigan is a draft or two away from getting this team right back on to the path to contention.

• Upvote 2

I'm having a hard time figuring out who harkless compares to. Obviously we're still a long while away from seeing his ceiling. We've seen a bit of what he's capable of. The real question is what level could he consistently reach?

Right now an average harkless game is 12 points, 5 rebounds a steal and a block.

His peak game right now was the 25 point 9 rebounds 4 steals 4 blocks game against okc the other day.

So his conservative ceiling is, what, tayshaun prince?

I'm having a hard time figuring out who harkless compares to. Obviously we're still a long while away from seeing his ceiling. We've seen a bit of what he's capable of. The real question is what level could he consistently reach?

Right now an average harkless game is 12 points, 5 rebounds a steal and a block.

His peak game right now was the 25 point 9 rebounds 4 steals 4 blocks game against okc the other day.

So his conservative ceiling is, what, tayshaun prince?

Paul George

Paul George

See, I think that's who he could be if everything pans out.

Conservatively, as in if he's just peaking early and doesn't get that much better, he's prince.

Either way, floor prince; ceiling George is a pretty good pickup

• Upvote 1

The past two months, Harkless has hiked his scoring rebounding and steel numbers. This month in particular his steals have been pretty high. He's already had six steals as a career high in his rookie season. Lately, Harkless has been aggressive however this has cause him to foul out in two games this month. Quality over Quantity. Then Quantity and Quality. I really don't know what's been happening with Tobias Harris but him and Harkless needs to keep the same pace of improvement. Harris' efficiency has staggered.

• Upvote 2

The past two months, Harkless has hiked his scoring rebounding and steel numbers. This month in particular his steals have been pretty high. He's already had six steals as a career high in his rookie season. Lately, Harkless has been aggressive however this has cause him to foul out in two games this month. Quality over Quantity. Then Quantity and Quality. I really don't know what's been happening with Tobias Harris but him and Harkless needs to keep the same pace of improvement. Harris' efficiency has staggered.

I think Harris' recent play is to be expected. He's shown flashes which has caused him to be at the top of other teams game plan.

The consistent play will come with experience. He's pressing too much right now and forcing things.

You get a legit #1 option at pg or sg and both Harris and harkless will flourish. Right now they're playing in a role that is above what they should be playing.

• Upvote 2

I'm very excited with Harris and Harkless, even more than with Vucevic who I think has a very sweet faceup game but his defense and aggressiveness leave much to be desired. No offense but his double doubles will come with playing 30+ minutes a game

Harkless is awesome as already stated in this thread

I love Harris because he's sort of a Big Baby with a brain, he's tall enough to play PF in today's NBA, has amazing handles for a big and can hit the 3.

I'd really like to see us draft Noel, but for some reason I think Henny won't do it :panicworker:

You get a legit #1 option at pg or sg and both Harris and harkless will flourish. Right now they're playing in a role that is above what they should be playing.

Correct. Emphasis on 'legit'. AA and Meer do not suffice.