Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Smack Confidential 2:

Here's how this announcement to renounce Darko breaks down...

We still have his bird rights according to nba.com.

This means that we sign and trade to get Rashard using expiring contracts that are valuable to them and which we desire to part with. This brings in Rashard and maintains our current cap figure, which means we can then turn around and go after Gerald Wallace.

Once we sign Gerald Wallace we can then make Darko an offer to go over the cap.

You must look at the timing of what transpired to see exactly what the Magic planned. It is no coincidence that as soon as Memphis (the only real player in the Darko sweepstakes) announced they offered a contract to Varejo, we renounced Darko. Why? Because now Memphis' cap space is tied up ina cap hold in the form of the contract they offered Varejo.

Until he signs or declines the offer, Memphis has no chance at getting Darko without orchestrating a trade to free up cap space.

With Atlanta drafting Horford & Milwaukee needing to sign Mo Williams, who else has the kind of money Darko desires?

It is even conceivable that Darko's camp has been playing along with this charade for the last couple days. With the league uncertain of Darko's future, and him tied up as a restriced free agent, there was sure to be little REAL interest in offering him 8-10 million per season.

Don't forget, we could also deal Turk & Battie down the road to get below the cap or fill other holes in the roster. Or we could keep them around for valuable depth.

As I stated this morning, Otis is brilliant!

Here's how this announcement to renounce Darko breaks down...

We still have his bird rights according to nba.com.

This means that we sign and trade to get Rashard using expiring contracts that are valuable to them and which we desire to part with. This brings in Rashard and maintains our current cap figure, which means we can then turn around and go after Gerald Wallace.

Once we sign Gerald Wallace we can then make Darko an offer to go over the cap.

You must look at the timing of what transpired to see exactly what the Magic planned. It is no coincidence that as soon as Memphis (the only real player in the Darko sweepstakes) announced they offered a contract to Varejo, we renounced Darko. Why? Because now Memphis' cap space is tied up ina cap hold in the form of the contract they offered Varejo.

Until he signs or declines the offer, Memphis has no chance at getting Darko without orchestrating a trade to free up cap space.

With Atlanta drafting Horford & Milwaukee needing to sign Mo Williams, who else has the kind of money Darko desires?

It is even conceivable that Darko's camp has been playing along with this charade for the last couple days. With the league uncertain of Darko's future, and him tied up as a restriced free agent, there was sure to be little REAL interest in offering him 8-10 million per season.

Don't forget, we could also deal Turk & Battie down the road to get below the cap or fill other holes in the roster. Or we could keep them around for valuable depth.

quote:
It is even conceivable that Darko's camp has been playing along with this charade for the last couple days.

I doubt that Smack, his agent sounds furious from that article that was posted.

Its going to be very interesting to see how this plays out. Like I said earlier, Otis is either going to be a genius or a goat depending on how this works out.

quote:
you must not know Serbian philosophy if you think he is going to allow to be put down on this manner. LOL people Darko will make you remember this when you play against him.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

Its going to be very interesting to see how this plays out. Like I said earlier, Otis is either going to be a genius or a goat depending on how this works out.

It's an understandable, yet unprofessional initial response. Once we get Shard & Wallac and then contact Cornstein with an 8 mil per year offer, he'll change his attitude real quick while kissing Otis' boots.

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

quote:
you must not know Serbian philosophy if you think he is going to allow to be put down on this manner. LOL people Darko will make you remember this when you play against him.

I have no idea if you are joking or not.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:
It is even conceivable that Darko's camp has been playing along with this charade for the last couple days.

Agree. The agent's comments are too personal for them to be part of an act. If Darko sings here, his comments would be ridiculed beyond belief.

Assuming its not an act, he's doing what he should be doing. He works for Darko, not the Magic. He feels Otis has lied to him (can't blame him for that) and is upset.

I'm surprised he's making a statement that Darko would not play here. Seems like Darko should decide that. But Darko seems a bit of a pushover so maybe his agent does decide.

smack, i almost agree with you. only i think darko got really pissed with how otis treated him, meaning we have no chance of getting him. I really hope this isn't true, but that's the feelings i'm getting. Losing Darko screws up the whole FA for me. unless we can get someone else who can replace him. but still....

ugh

As soon as you see who Seattle wants in the sign and trade for rashard, you will know whether or not Otis can pull this off. If there are a number of expiring contracts included that total an amount close to what Wallace will accept, then he's coming here.

On Darko, even if he (Darko, not his lame *** agent) does say that he doesn't want to play for the Magic we can still get him the biggest contract through a sign and trade. Which means we would have both G Hill & Darko available for sign and trade. You still think we can't replace him?