Sign in to follow this  
Magic31

Will Darko be wearing a Magic Uni next year?

I voted in hope that he'll be here. Its now clear to me that Otis screwed up by not making the necessary phone calls (its not about rescinding the offer ). So its a uphill climb that is going to take more than a million dollars over MLE to correct. Otis has shown before he can make good moves so I still have confidence he can corret his mistake.

What would be classy under the circumstance is if someone (preferably Stan) from the Magic got on plane and had a face to face with Darko and agent in his country. Face it. We haven't done a single thing that Darko or his agent can look at and say "okay this shows they want me here". At some point before our offer doing something that says that could only help and remember the clock is ticking. At any time Darko can go where he wants.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicmaninMiami:

I voted in hope that he'll be here. Its now clear to me that Otis screwed up by not making the necessary phone calls (its not about rescinding the offer ). So its a uphill climb that is going to take more than a million dollars over MLE to correct. Otis has shown before he can make good moves so I still have confidence he can corret his mistake.

What would be classy under the circumstance is if someone (preferably Stan) from the Magic got on plane and had a face to face with Darko and agent in his country. Face it. We haven't done a single thing that Darko or his agent can look at and say "okay this shows they want me here". At some point before our offer doing something that says that could only help and remember the clock is ticking. At any time Darko can go where he wants.

I agree with you in that it would be nice if Stan or even Otis or even Dwight just contacted Darko directly and tell him how much they want him.

This agent is truly a blow hard and his relentless negotiating through the media is unnecessary. He took everything literally and thought Otis would be riding his jock at 12:01 on the 1st to give Darko the moon. I do not think that Otis saw that this guy would be this sensitive towards not getting a phone call. Alot of GMs including John Paxon deal with restriced free agents this way. Its not Otis fault that this agent is a whining bufoon.

As for Darko if he wants the most guaranteed money he will stay with the Magic unless you see teams unloading cap room the next few days who need a big man.

Also Memphis is now chasing Nocioni. So if they are going after him and Sideshow Bob it takes them out of the running.

Also where have the reports surfaced about a contract offer for Darko. I would think his agent would be yelling from the mountain tops if he had a 10 million per year offer from somewhere.

I think Darko will sign a MLE 1 year contract with someone like CHI, PHI or MEM this year. As he said, major concern for him is playing time, not money. If he has any confidence, he'll take that risk and sign a max next year. And you all know Darko thinks very high about his game. Does he think he's better then D12. Yeah, I'm sure we all know that.

Now, will Cornstein take that gamble? I don't know, but who gives a shuck?

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

This agent is truly a blow hard and his relentless negotiating through the media is unnecessary. He took everything literally and thought Otis would be riding his jock at 12:01 on the 1st to give Darko the moon. I do not think that Otis saw that this guy would be this sensitive towards not getting a phone call. Alot of GMs including John Paxon deal with restriced free agents this way. Its not Otis fault that this agent is a whining bufoon

We rescinded the offer Drain-O. For everybody and not directed at Drain-O

IN WHAT PLANET DOES RESCINDING AN OFFER NOT IMPLY TO A PLAYER THAT HE IS NOT VALUED.

So given that we were looking at doing this we should have done everything else expected. Pick up the dumb phone and take five minutes to call. If you are pressed for time do it while you are on the can. There is no excuse for this. OTis screwed this up (no ones perfect but alot of you guys act like he is incapable of screwing up) now we need to make the moves to show we didn't mean it.

quote:
As for Darko if he wants the most guaranteed money he will stay with the Magic unless you see teams unloading cap room the next few days who need a big man.

Also Memphis is now chasing Nocioni. So if they are going after him and Sideshow Bob it takes them out of the running.

You answered your own question. Nocioni leaving would make Chicago contenders to sign Darko and then theres a little matter of Charlotte who if you haven't noticed have improved greatly this offseason. Wouldn't it be fun watching either team with Darko slapping us out of the playoffs?

Again the 10 mill is a red herring . We took the QO off the table so he wouldn't sign it not because we were convinced he wouldn't. IF not we would have waited until next wekk.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

This agent is truly a blow hard and his relentless negotiating through the media is unnecessary. He took everything literally and thought Otis would be riding his jock at 12:01 on the 1st to give Darko the moon. I do not think that Otis saw that this guy would be this sensitive towards not getting a phone call. Alot of GMs including John Paxon deal with restriced free agents this way. Its not Otis fault that this agent is a whining bufoon

We rescinded the offer Drain-O. For everybody and not directed at Drain-O

IN WHAT PLANET DOES RESCINDING AN OFFER NOT IMPLY TO A PLAYER THAT HE IS NOT VALUED.

So given that we were looking at doing this we should have done everything else expected. Pick up the dumb phone and take five minutes to call. If you are pressed for time do it while you are on the can. There is no excuse for this. OTis screwed this up (no ones perfect but alot of you guys act like he is incapable of screwing up) now we need to make the moves to show we didn't mean it.

quote:

You answered your own question. Nocioni leaving would make Chicago contenders to sign Darko and then theres a little matter of Charlotte who if you haven't noticed have improved greatly this offseason. Wouldn't it be fun watching either team with Darko slapping us out of the playoffs?

Again the 10 mill is a red herring . We took the QO off the table so he wouldn't sign it not because we were convinced he wouldn't. IF not we would have waited until next wekk.

Lets do this one by one.

As for calling Darko's agent from the can though that would have been humorous it serves no good. As soon as he did not hear from Otis he was in the media bad mouthing him and has been since. In retrospect it could have helped but this is professional sports. These agents and players are so ego driven and this is what this is all about. Now I agree that since this is such a big deal it does need be resolved in some way.

I also do not think pulling Darko's offer shows him he is the number one priority and wanted. Its just again that the agent is not taking the time to see the big picture. In order to improve the team this is the only real move that Otis could have pulled. Again using email to do it probably was not the smartest move. Once again the Magic are moving up the hill.

The Magic pulling the qualifying offer because they were afraid that Darko would sign it shows me there is no real market for him this summer beyond the mid-level. Now if he is so bent on leaving the Magic he can take a 2 year deal somewhere and go back out in 08. Now for the two teams you mentioned....

As for Charlotte with the signing of Carroll and the probable signing of Wallace (11m) they are at about 51 million. Assuming the cap is 56 million then they do not have any more than the mid-level to offer Darko. Plus they have to extend Okafor and there owner is very, very cheap.

Right now Chicago has a cap hold because of Nocioni and have to slot in the salary of Noah which is about 1.7 million. If they renounce Nocioni to go after Darko I would absolutely love to see how Darko and Skiles get along. In theory they can trade the expiring contract of Duhon or renounce Sweetney as well to get way under the cap to sign him but again will they with Deng and Gordon eligible for big extensions this summer. Plus if you are the Bulls do you want to sign Darko long term for say 8 million plus with annual escalators or do you want to wait until next summer when you can go after Garnett or O'Neal or Brand, etc.

Sure there are teams that can get Darko but again I doubt it will be for anymore than what the Magic can offer. It will be a hard sell to convince Darko at this point but nothing in my mind that should not be obtainable.

Also the Magic kind of did Darko a favor because if Arenas, Garnett, Brand, O'Neal, etc. all play the open market he is once again looking at no better than a mid-level deal.

I could be dead wrong here but if all parties involved put personal feelings aside this is something that would benefit both parties in the long run.

Here's a little quote from John Hollinger:

quote:
While we're talking about the Magic, by the way, have you ever seen an agent more upset that his client gained unrestricted status than Marc Cornstein with Milicic this week? Am I the only one who found that a little weird?

He definitely isn't the only one. The only explanation that I see is he was talking a big game about how much interest other teams were showing Darko. Now that he is unrestricted the truth will come out whether Darko really is in high demand.

I'm very willing to slightly overpay Darko to keep him but 9-10 mil a year is out of the question.

Drain O we aren't very far apart on the Phone call issue. The professionalism you speak of is what Otis should have shown by way of the standard phone call. Its not shocking or stunning the agent took offense at this situation. Trying it another way-

Your employer promises you a job when it becomes open (we all heard Darko was a priority this offseason so so did he). Well the job and a few other becomes available. Everyone else that was promised things is getting their positions and you boss says nothing. Then he sends out a memo to you that he's not making any promises about the position and may role over the position and department into another department and give the dollars to that departments head but he really really needs you.

Tell me you aren't saying to yourself - "yeah right actions speak louder than words baby"

Now of course theres a good reason for all of this and Otis is trying to do it this way for a perfectly good reason BUT if the boss really needs you to take the job eventually and values you wouldn't he communicate better? The communication is exactly what the agent is complaining about and he OBVIOUSLY has a point.

In regard to Charlotte. My understanding is Wallace is unrestricted. Charlotte can sign Darko and yet because Wallace is their player they can go over cap to sign him without luxury tax.

In regard to Chicago Garnett has already made it known where he wants to go when he is free, Arenas is a long shot to leave and Oneal is being shopped now. So would they go after a 7 footer center they would really round out their ball club. Why in the world not if they find themselves with the room?

quote:

Drain O we aren't very far apart on the Phone call issue. The professionalism you speak of is what Otis should have shown by way of the standard phone call. Its not shocking or stunning the agent took offense at this situation. Trying it another way-

Your employer promises you a job when it becomes open (we all heard Darko was a priority this offseason so so did he). Well the job and a few other becomes available. Everyone else that was promised things is getting their positions and you boss says nothing. Then he sends out a memo to you that he's not making any promises about the position and may role over the position and department into another department and give the dollars to that departments head but he really really needs you.

Tell me you aren't saying to yourself - "yeah right actions speak louder than words baby"

Now of course theres a good reason for all of this and Otis is trying to do it this way for a perfectly good reason BUT if the boss really needs you to take the job eventually and values you wouldn't he communicate better? The communication is exactly what the agent is complaining about and he OBVIOUSLY has a point.

In regard to Charlotte. My understanding is Wallace is unrestricted. Charlotte can sign Darko and yet because Wallace is their player they can go over cap to sign him without luxury tax.

In regard to Chicago Garnett has already made it known where he wants to go when he is free, Arenas is a long shot to leave and Oneal is being shopped now. So would they go after a 7 footer center they would really round out their ball club. Why in the world not if they find themselves with the room?

The job description is a good one and totally agree with you on this. Whether it was on purpose or not Otis dropped the ball here. He has to swallow his pride and give in somewhat to this agent even though he has proved to be a world class d-bag. I really think a personal call from Otis to Darko could smooth this out. He needs to keep in mind that Darko is the most important thing and vital to the future success of the team.

I also agree with you that Charlotte and Chicago could find ways to sign Darko I just do not see them doing it. In theory so could other teams in sign and trades since there are 25 interested teams.

To me he fits in with Chicago but what happens the first time Skiles just rips into him. He does not strike me as the type of player that responds well to this. Although I guess you do not know since Brian Hill tried to neuter him.

Charlotte's owner is dirt cheap. Once Wallace is re-signed they have to extend Okafor (max apparantly) and Felton the year after. Their owner is very, very cheap and does not want to dip into luxury tax territory. Plus I can see Jordan convincing him to wait and try to add another veteran in 08.

After he calls Darko maybe Otis can send another email:

Marc,

I am sorry for the way I have handled the negotiations with Darko. I should have told you everything I was going to do and that I had to resolve the Rashard situation first. I also have to leverage them into a sign and trade to make room for your guy. My great fans on the Orlando Magic Message Board are having meltdowns right now. Although because of me I believe at least 15-20 of them have read the entire CBA. Back to my point, please understand I did all of this with the big picture in mind. As always my goal is to bring a championship to Orlando. Thank you for your interest and GO MAGIC!!

Otis Smith

General Manager

5 minutes later that email will be forwarded to Brian Schmitz.

I see Golden State giving up on Garnett and using their 10 million dollar exception to chase Milicic. I also see Chicago trying to do a trade with the Magic for Milicic.

I believe our chances are not good in retaining Milicic. I believe the best we can hope for is paying 10 million or a trade.

I think Otis is not going to look good when this is over with.

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

I see Golden State giving up on Garnett and using their 10 million dollar exception to chase Milicic. I also see Chicago trying to do a trade with the Magic for Milicic.

I believe our chances are not good in retaining Milicic. I believe the best we can hope for is paying 10 million or a trade.

I think Otis is not going to look good when this is over with.

The Magic first have to sign Darko in order for the Chicago to trade for Darko. I think it would be easier for them to renounce their rights to Andres Nocioni and sign Darko with that money.

quote:
Originally posted by Magic31:

The Magic first have to sign Darko in order for the Chicago to trade for Darko. I think it would be easier for them to renounce their rights to Andres Nocioni and sign Darko with that money.

I see Golden State raising the value of Milicic and Chicago and Orlando later agreeing to do a trade. Orlando would S&T Milicic for Nocioni and another player.

Nocioni would need to agree with the money he will receive from Orlando.