Sign in to follow this  
Marc Acres 3:16

Offers made to Diener, Darko, and....Kasun?!

Magic make tender offers to Darko Milicic, Travis Diener, Mario Kasun

The Orlando Magic on Friday tendered qualifying offers to power forward/center Darko Milicic, point guard Travis Diener, and center Mario Kasun, the team announced.

The move makes those players restricted free agents, giving the Magic the right of first refusal on re-signing them if they are offered contracts by other teams.

Milicic (7 feet, 250 pounds) averaged 8 points, 5.5 rebounds., 1.75 block and 1.1 assists per game in 80 games this past season.

Diener (6-1, 172) saw action in 26 games in the 2006-07 season, averaging 3.8 ppg. and 1.3 apg. in 11.1 minutes per game.

Kasun was a restricted free agent last season and played overseas this past year. In order to retain the right of first refusal if other teams offered him an NBA contract, Kasun had to be given another tender offer.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-magicfa2907jun29,0,1430269.story

Magic make tender offers to Darko Milicic, Travis Diener, Mario Kasun

The Orlando Magic on Friday tendered qualifying offers to power forward/center Darko Milicic, point guard Travis Diener, and center Mario Kasun, the team announced.

The move makes those players restricted free agents, giving the Magic the right of first refusal on re-signing them if they are offered contracts by other teams.

Milicic (7 feet, 250 pounds) averaged 8 points, 5.5 rebounds., 1.75 block and 1.1 assists per game in 80 games this past season.

Diener (6-1, 172) saw action in 26 games in the 2006-07 season, averaging 3.8 ppg. and 1.3 apg. in 11.1 minutes per game.

Kasun was a restricted free agent last season and played overseas this past year. In order to retain the right of first refusal if other teams offered him an NBA contract, Kasun had to be given another tender offer.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-magicfa2907jun29,0,1430269.story

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

I'm looking for more info, what the heck does a qualifying offer mean?

I may be wrong, there was that one time back in 1986 that this was the case, but I think qualifying means that it met the minimum offer on their contract... now, we wait to see if other teams jump those offers, in which we have the right to match!

this is good news for old Dude here. glad to see they took the effort at keeping TD around, now lets see if he can be kept on the cheap. I still got faith in the guy, and his game is suited to our needs. in case yall missed what the dude thinks are our needs...its a 3-ball, a willingness to keep his man in front of him, low TO's, high asst, fascilitator of the offense, not wanting to BE the offense

quote:
In order to make their free agent a restricted free agent, a team must submit a qualifying offer to the player by June 30. The amount of the qualifying offer for players on rookie "scale" contracts is based on the player's draft position (see question number 41). The qualifying offer for all other players must be for 125% of the player's previous salary, or the player's minimum salary (see question number 11) plus $175,000, whichever is greater. The qualifying offer must be for one season. A player can elect to accept his qualifying offer (the qualifying offer must be accepted by March 1) and play the following season under its terms. This is sometimes done in order to become an unrestricted free agent the following summer (see question number 38).

If the player is coming off the fourth year of his rookie scale contract, then in addition to a qualifying offer, his team can also submit a maximum qualifying offer. A maximum qualifying offer is for six seasons at the maximum salary with 10.5% annual raises. It can contain no options, ETOs or bonuses of any kind, and must be fully guaranteed. When a team submits a maximum qualifying offer (in essence "stepping up" with a maximum contract offer before the player even hits the market), it places a more stringent requirement on other teams' offer sheets (see below).

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#76

As I understand it, teams must now offer something higher than our qualifying offer; we then have the option to match.

Great to see they made the offer to TD!

Mario Kasun? Huh?

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

I'm looking for more info, what the heck does a qualifying offer mean?

The Magic extended the a 1 year qualfiying offer to their RFA, thus it locks in that player's restricted FA status. It does not mean the player has re signed with the Magic. All the extending of a QO means is that the Magic have activated their right to match on these players.

If they had declined to extend a QO to a potential RFA, it would automatically make that player an UFA.

Nyce/Marley..

Yall seem to have the dime on this... lets say.. no other team makes an offer.. Im guessing that the player has two options at this point....

take the offer the Magic offered or...

go play in europe for more cash, but the Magic retain their rights thru this year... is that right?

essentially, does this mean that if they want to stay in the NBA, and no ones goes over the top of us.. then they are signed...or is it just an option to sign at that offer?

did that even make sense?

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

quote:
In order to make their free agent a restricted free agent, a team must submit a qualifying offer to the player by June 30. The amount of the qualifying offer for players on rookie "scale" contracts is based on the player's draft position (see question number 41). The qualifying offer for all other players must be for 125% of the player's previous salary, or the player's minimum salary (see question number 11) plus $175,000, whichever is greater. The qualifying offer must be for one season. A player can elect to accept his qualifying offer (the qualifying offer must be accepted by March 1) and play the following season under its terms. This is sometimes done in order to become an unrestricted free agent the following summer (see question number 38).

If the player is coming off the fourth year of his rookie scale contract, then in addition to a qualifying offer, his team can also submit a maximum qualifying offer. A maximum qualifying offer is for six seasons at the maximum salary with 10.5% annual raises. It can contain no options, ETOs or bonuses of any kind, and must be fully guaranteed. When a team submits a maximum qualifying offer (in essence "stepping up" with a maximum contract offer before the player even hits the market), it places a more stringent requirement on other teams' offer sheets (see below).

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#76

As I understand it, teams must now offer something higher than our qualifying offer; we then have the option to match.

Great to see they made the offer to TD!

Mario Kasun? Huh?

Im glad too, we can keep Darko because nobody has a the cap space to get him and we keep a playmaker in Diener.

Some question Kasun but actually Kasun is quality big man in that he rebounds the ball extremely well on both ends and he's a decent shot blocker. He can shoot it a bit too

and one more thing yall could help me out on here is.....I know we are essentially counting nickles comparitivley here, but is a hold placed at the normal escalated scale on Diener and Kasun as well, until we sign or let them sign elsewhere...

It may not seem like a bunch of cash, but every penny counts this offseason.

quote:
Originally posted by The Dude Abides:

Nyce/Marley..

Yall seem to have the dime on this... lets say.. no other team makes an offer.. Im guessing that the player has two options at this point....

take the offer the Magic offered or...

go play in europe for more cash, but the Magic retain their rights thru this year... is that right?

essentially, does this mean that if they want to stay in the NBA, and no ones goes over the top of us.. then they are signed...or is it just an option to sign at that offer?

did that even make sense?

Dude, you made total sense. If no other teams makes an offer to our RFAs they can:

- accept the Magic's qualifying offer, play for one season, and become an [uNRESTRICTED] free agent again the following summer.

- accept the Magic's maximum qualifying offer (if applicable, and if one has been submitted) and play under a long-term contract at the maximum salary (we didn't make this type of offer).

- negotiate a new contract with the Magic that is independent of the qualifying offer or maximum qualifying offer.

- they can also play across seas and we'll still hold their rights.

quote:
Originally posted by The Dude Abides:

and one more thing yall could help me out on here is.....I know we are essentially counting nickles comparitivley here, but is a hold placed at the normal escalated scale on Diener and Kasun as well, until we sign or let them sign elsewhere...

It may not seem like a bunch of cash, but every penny counts this offseason.

Yes, Diener and Kasun's cap hold wil count against our salary cap until:

- we negotiate and sign them to a new contract.

- they sign a contract with another team.

- we renounce their rights.

So if I'm following this right...assuming Kasun stays overseas (and I imagine that he would) then as long as he has a contract with a team overseas he doesn't count against our cap, correct?

Its going to be interesting to see what happens with Diener. I really don't think money is his biggest concern. The only way he will stay with us is if one or probably two of our current point guards get shipped out. Otherwise he is probably signing somewhere else.

Wouldn't it be great if Darko signed before free agency begins? I know it has no chance of happening but I can dream.