Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Now that the Draft is over where "CAN" the Magic go?

I think the question should be, "Now that the draft is over, where CAN the Magic go?".

JRich is gone, Ray Allen is gone, reports state the VC will resign with NJ, Seattle is in a great position now to sign and trade Rashard to the highest bidder, Pieturs should be resigned by GS, blah, blah, blah.

So now it seems that G Wallace & C Billups may be the only two options even available to the Magic. So much for a blockbuster free agent class. A blockbuster draft class, yes. But we didn't get a single player out of the deepest draft in NBA history (sorry #60 doesn't count).

So the question now becomes, what are the Magic willing to give up to acquire a much needes SG? What did they expect, that the NBA executives would just roll over and play dead, allowing the Magic to take their pick among all the best candidates?

I'm sorry to say this, but it looks like management may have screwed up another year.

- We didn't make a move last year at the trade deadline, beacuse we were assured that the Summer would be "our time to wheel and deal".

- We waited 3 weeks to fire Brainless Hill and then settled on option #3, SVG.

- We then traded away all 3 of our second round picks for SVG and some pocket change. (Is this going to happen every Summer? The Magic talk about all the possibilities that exist to only sit back and conservatively watch all those opportunities dry up?) Last year it was the possibility of moving up in the first round. This year it was the possibility to move into the first round. Both years...nothing!

- Now when the team is supposed to make a big impact and solidify our roster with a marquee scorer, most names have been removed from the discussion entirely.

Basically, I'm getting tired of the Magic bluffing like they have something up their sleeve at every juncture only to fool all of us with the same tired trick.

I want the Magic to do something spectacular. I want them to do something the entire league is talking about. Right now all we're talking about is how much better the Eastern conference just got while we sat around watching.

I think the question should be, "Now that the draft is over, where CAN the Magic go?".

JRich is gone, Ray Allen is gone, reports state the VC will resign with NJ, Seattle is in a great position now to sign and trade Rashard to the highest bidder, Pieturs should be resigned by GS, blah, blah, blah.

So now it seems that G Wallace & C Billups may be the only two options even available to the Magic. So much for a blockbuster free agent class. A blockbuster draft class, yes. But we didn't get a single player out of the deepest draft in NBA history (sorry #60 doesn't count).

So the question now becomes, what are the Magic willing to give up to acquire a much needes SG? What did they expect, that the NBA executives would just roll over and play dead, allowing the Magic to take their pick among all the best candidates?

I'm sorry to say this, but it looks like management may have screwed up another year.

- We didn't make a move last year at the trade deadline, beacuse we were assured that the Summer would be "our time to wheel and deal".

- We waited 3 weeks to fire Brainless Hill and then settled on option #3, SVG.

- We then traded away all 3 of our second round picks for SVG and some pocket change. (Is this going to happen every Summer? The Magic talk about all the possibilities that exist to only sit back and conservatively watch all those opportunities dry up?) Last year it was the possibility of moving up in the first round. This year it was the possibility to move into the first round. Both years...nothing!

- Now when the team is supposed to make a big impact and solidify our roster with a marquee scorer, most names have been removed from the discussion entirely.

Basically, I'm getting tired of the Magic bluffing like they have something up their sleeve at every juncture only to fool all of us with the same tired trick.

I want the Magic to do something spectacular. I want them to do something the entire league is talking about. Right now all we're talking about is how much better the Eastern conference just got while we sat around watching.

Good post Smack. I couldn't have said it better. I left you a message on your cell phone that I'm officially worried.

You touched on all the key points I've been making all morning.

I'm still holding out hope that Otis has something up his sleeve. Time will tell.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Let's go Otis, clap, clap, clap clap clap!!!!

I fully understand your impatience and frustration Smack. Watching Otis sit idle during the trade deadline and draft is extremely frustrating.

Otis better have that Ace in the Hole or the fans and media will be having a meltdown a month from now.

Of course Rockchalk is dropping cliffhanger comments here yesterday and the word around the RDV is "Just wait and see"!

Considering Otis is primarily responsible for the trades that changed this team last year and for getting the Devos family to dump Brian Hill. I will give him the benefit of the doubt, we will find out soon because it almost time for him to show his cards.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

I fully understand your impatience and frustration Smack. Watching Otis sit idle during the trade deadline and draft is extremely frustrating.

Otis better have that Ace in the Hole or the fans and media will be having a meltdown a month from now.

Of course Rockchalk is dropping cliffhanger comments here yesterday and the word around the RDV is "Just wait and see"!

Considering Otis is primarily responsible for the trades that changed this team last year and for getting the Devos family to dump Brian Hill. I will give him the benefit of the doubt, we will find out soon because it almost time for him to show his cards.

You kind of touched on the root of my frustration:

"the word around the RDV is "Just wait and see"!"

Isn't that always the message out of RDV. Personally, I'm tired of the wait and see approach. I want this organization to make a big statement and move our team to the top of the list of contenders in the East.

quote:

I hope he has at least 5 aces and ain't bluffing with a pair of 2's.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Also, what are the options that the Magic are left with? They certainlly are not as abundant as we thought they'd be 3-4 months ago.

His options are certainly shrinking, but he only needs to pull off one great one here.

quote:

[

.......... I'm tired of the wait and see approach. I want this organization to make a big statement and move our team to the top of the list of contenders in the East.

Hey Smack - weren't you posting yesterday that it WAS the time for us to wait and see? you seemed pretty adament about it....

What Gives?

Sick of the 'wait and see approach' to anybody except for Jameer?

Dont get me wrong, Im totally sick of waiting and seeing, but I think it applies to some of our players as well as management. We need the management to quit waiting and seeing what developes just as much as we need to quit coming up with excuses why a player DESERVES the same priveledge we rail against.

quote:
Originally posted by The Dude Abides:

quote:

[

.......... I'm tired of the wait and see approach. I want this organization to make a big statement and move our team to the top of the list of contenders in the East.

Hey Smack - weren't you posting yesterday that it WAS the time for us to wait and see? you seemed pretty adament about it....

What Gives?

Sick of the 'wait and see approach' to anybody except for Jameer?

Dont get me wrong, Im totally sick of waiting and seeing, but I think it applies to some of our players as well as management. We need the management to quit waiting and seeing what developes just as much as we need to quit coming up with excuses why a player DESERVES the same priveledge we rail against.

You have me mistaken with somebody else. i have never been a wait and see kind of guy. Matter of fact, if you go back and look at the majority of my posts, you'll see how many times I say that we need to take the bull by the horns.

Although, to discuss the point you briught up about Jameer, wait and see with a 3rd year PG that only makes 1.5 million and has shown glimpses of being a special player (but like all players on our roster, underachieved last year), is not the same as wait and see for the entire team season after season, opportunity after opportunity.

quote:

Although, to discuss the point you briught up about Jameer, wait and see with a 3rd year PG that only makes 1.5 million and has shown glimpses of being a special player (but like all players on our roster, underachieved last year), is not the same as wait and see for the entire team season after season, opportunity after opportunity.

That is the part that drives me nuts. Our second and third string PG's make 2 to 3 times more than Jameer and he is the one people want to dump when we are trying to create cap space.