Soul Bro

2023-2024 Season Thread

4 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I love the idea that Trae Young is some selfish ball dominant guy (the guy with the 44% career assist%) because that's who he is and not because his best team mate in his entire career is Dejounte Murray, someone who fundamentally plays the same exact role as him (ball handling, scoring PG) but is worse at it. 

And yes Dejounte Murray is worse than Trae Young at being a PG on offense. This season is Murray's most efficient season by TS% in his career, comparatively Trae Young has been more efficient than this Murray season in all of his seasons but his rookie season. This season is a career high in PPG for Murray, again Trae beats that in all but his rookie season. Murray's career high in APG in a season is 9.2, again, you guessed it, Trae beats that in all but his rookie season. So Trae scores more, scores more efficiently and at the same time also sets up his teammates more frequently. 

And just in case you wanted to argue that Trae puts up empty stats and doesn't impact winning Trae has played more playoff games than Murray in less seasons played. He lead a team with these starters to the conference finals (and took the eventual NBA champions to six games): Trae Young/Bogdan Bogdanovic/Kevin Huerter/John Collins/Clint Capela. The only time Dejounte Murray has ever been a key player on a playoff team was when he played with Trae Young. 

Yeah. Trae would improve our offense 100x more than Murray would. I guess my only thought in Dejounte’s favor is defensively, but the version of him I’m remembering on D hasn’t existed in ATL, he was a freakin pitbull on D in San Antonio tho and I’d hope that’s something he’d be able to find again. Also cost is another big piece of the puzzle here. I’d guess Trae will cost us twice as much as Dejounte to acquire

1 minute ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Yeah. Trae would improve our offense 100x more than Murray would. I guess my only thought in Dejounte’s favor is defensively, but the version of him I’m remembering on D hasn’t existed in ATL, he was a freakin pitbull on D in San Antonio tho and I’d hope that’s something he’d be able to find again. Also cost is another big piece of the puzzle here. I’d guess Trae will cost us twice as much as Dejounte to acquire

A Trae/Paolo pick and roll (conventional or inverted) would be so scary for teams to guard. 

But yea you're right about cost (I'd like to think we have the assets to get Trae and still have enough to improve in the future) + defense (I'd hope we have enough defense to manage but that's harder to predict). 

I'd take either of them for our starting PG spot. Beggars can't be choosers.

And to nitpick about 44 points in 44 shots in yet another win against the Celtics, with a game winner while being a 7 to 1 underdog, seems unnecessary. No Trae, Okongwu or Jalen Johnson playing, either.

• Upvote 1

it depends on what type of basketball we want to see going forward.. 
Im dreaming of a team oriented basketball. I don’t want a team to rely on just single players. Especially with our injury history in the team in general. 

I want this team to be elevated to a different level, playing within a great read and react system, playing these inverted screens and making it difficult to guard. We have the structure in place. 

We just need the coach to get help and step up and we need 1-3 players to fit right in there. 

But yeah, if we want to play traditional NBA ball, then i guess we should go forward with a guy like Trae or Murray for example

General, totally baseless, conjecture: 

The Osceola Magic had the best offense in the G league and are the number 1 seed. Dylan Murphy, the HC of the Osceola Magic, was on our staff last year. 

Last year the Magic had 6 guys listed as assistant coaches, this year with Nate Tibbets leaving late in preseason and Murphy going down to be the G league HC we only had 4 (according to what I could find publicly, it's highly probable some guys with slight variant job titles were assistant coaches in all but name)

What if we deliberately sent Murphy to HC the G league team to get reps designing an offense etc so that we could bring him back as the Offensive coordinator this coming year? 

(And if this happens, it could bode well for Jett Howard given he's spent all year playing down there) 

Once again this is one hundred percent baseless conjecture and I drank quite a lot last night lol

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

The Osceola Magic had the best offense in the G league and are the number 1 seed. Dylan Murphy, the HC of the Osceola Magic, was on our staff last year. 

Last year the Magic had 6 guys listed as assistant coaches, this year with Nate Tibbets leaving late in preseason and Murphy going down to be the G league HC we only had 4 (according to what I could find publicly, it's highly probable some guys with slight variant job titles were assistant coaches in all but name)

What if we deliberately sent Murphy to HC the G league team to get reps designing an offense etc so that we could bring him back as the Offensive coordinator this coming year? 

(And if this happens, it could bode well for Jett Howard given he's spent all year playing down there) 

Once again this is one hundred percent baseless conjecture and I drank quite a lot last night lol

That would absolutely make sense.. But why not communicate with the fans and let them know.. 

From the outside, we are down from 6 to 4 coaches, which is really not a lot for a NBA team. 

It’s kinda showing and has been showing for a long time, that Mosley needs help with offensive concepts and in game advise.. All the great coaches have assistant coaches that advise their head coach. 

And we don’t have that. I don’t say or assistants are bad, but in these half time interviews, i always hear the same „ya ya ya better defense, ya ya more energy, ya ya“ 

I know these are just interviews, but the eye test kinda shows that we lack offensive sets.

10 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

That would absolutely make sense.. But why not communicate with the fans and let them know.. 

Jeff Weltman is competing with 29 other franchises, he can't just broadcast strategy to placate antsy, "in the know" fans. 

You're not owed an explanation about non playing, non decision-making, personnel by any sports organization. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Jeff Weltman is competing with 29 other franchises, he can't just broadcast strategy to placate antsy, "in the know" fans. 

You're not owed an explanation about non playing, non decision-making, personnel by any sports organization. 

This is probably a culture thing.. 

If any soccer team would do something like that, the media would go wild and fanbases too. 
You don’t let two main assistants go and not have any replacements. That’s actually unheard of in my experience as a sports fan.. In like any sport…

8 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I like your way of thinking... 

this is brilliant if it was to he the case 

doesn't sound far fetched either 

You guys reading the rumors of Orlando’s interest in Russell? I’d sign him on a three year deal.