Soul Bro

2023-2024 Season Thread

6 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Lavine is a no go for me. He is selfish and disappears too many nights. We need another player who Franz and Paolo can rely on in the starting lineup. This will allow them to not play hero ball so much at the end. Isaac at starting center can be a solution to this problem until we get the shooting guard we desperately need or until Wendell comes back. 

and once again the Magic play another year without any knockdown shooters. And don’t come at me with old man Ingles. Lol. play Jett or Queen, try something different Mosely!

It’s because Lavine is playing number one option in Chicago. He shouldn’t be that. He should be a secondary option. 

Only way to prevent hero ball is a coach who can emphasize on X and O plays. We don’t have that

Honestly, we don't need the costly contract of Zach Levine. It's pretty simple - we need PG'a/SG's who can shoot and are willing to play good team defense. 

Thats it. The floor needs to be opened up for Franz / Banchero to work and kick out if need be. 

I love Fultz and Suggs as playmakers (particularly Fultz), but if neither can crack 36% from 3, they aren't the starters to go alongside our young duo. 

I think I'm of the opinion that Mosley isn't our coach next year if we don't make the playoffs and we'll go after a coach who has a track record of success in the playoffs (I'm think Mike Budenhozer). Just my gut. This team clearly has all the pieces to be something and the time for a 2nd round playoff push should be next year. 

17 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

Honestly, we don't need the costly contract of Zach Levine. It's pretty simple - we need PG'a/SG's who can shoot and are willing to play good team defense. 

Thats it. The floor needs to be opened up for Franz / Banchero to work and kick out if need be. 

I love Fultz and Suggs as playmakers (particularly Fultz), but if neither can crack 36% from 3, they aren't the starters to go alongside our young duo. 

well we just drafted Jett Howard

12 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I think I'm of the opinion that Mosley isn't our coach next year if we don't make the playoffs and we'll go after a coach who has a track record of success in the playoffs (I'm think Mike Budenhozer). Just my gut. This team clearly has all the pieces to be something and the time for a 2nd round playoff push should be next year. 

I doubt that. Mosley is the cornerstone of our special team chemistry. If anything we should build on that. I truly don’t understand why we aren’t hiring good and experienced assistant coaches. 

5 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

I doubt that. Mosley is the cornerstone of our special team chemistry. If anything we should build on that. I truly don’t understand why we aren’t hiring good and experienced assistant coaches. 

You don't know anything about who is and is not a good assistant coach. None of us can know. It's very much something only people directly inside the team can know. 

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

You don't know anything about who is and is not a good assistant coach. None of us can know. It's very much something only people directly inside the team can know. 

i know what i see on the court and what i hear in interviews. Neither Mosley, nor the assistants EVER speak about tactical offensive execution or anything related to X and Os. 

Your trying to artificially defend something that isn’t there. And you know it too. 

I don’t have to be directly involved to see what coaches emphasize. I listen to what Mosley, players and assistant coaches are saying and i see it on the court.. 

If you think we have some kind of X and O guru on the bench, then so be it. That’s your opinion. I’m pretty sure most Magic fans see what i see on the court

All good point about Lavine on both sides of the argument. Orlandoholic has a good point about Lavine being a second or third option here.  He is clearly miscast as a number one. His injury history and enormous contract are red flags. He can shoot and score at a position we desperately need and his defense could be covered up here. 

3 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

This is thing with our team building moving forward. We all have our favorites with our young guards (Fultz, Suggs, Black, Cole, and Jett).  They all have big warts (mostly shooting).  I go game to game and week to week with them. It will probably take until at least the trade deadline to figure out who to build with our star forwards. However I think we need to have great shooter at one of those guard spots and I’m not sure that player is currently in this team. 

We could get a cheaper option for this season like Bobby Marks suggested in Brogdon. Or go for a big fish with our expiring contracts and draft picks like Lavine or whoever else shakes lose the next few months (Mitchell etc).  We don’t need more draft picks to develop for year or two at least. Jett can’t get minutes now. 

1 hour ago, orlandoholic said:

i know what i see on the court and what i hear in interviews. Neither Mosley, nor the assistants EVER speak about tactical offensive execution or anything related to X and Os. 

Your trying to artificially defend something that isn’t there. And you know it too. 

I don’t have to be directly involved to see what coaches emphasize. I listen to what Mosley, players and assistant coaches are saying and i see it on the court.. 

If you think we have some kind of X and O guru on the bench, then so be it. That’s your opinion. I’m pretty sure most Magic fans see what i see on the court

You know what you perceive but you also perceive an offense where we "only run pick and roll and horns". 

Just because the offense isn't working (because of a lack of spacing) doesn't mean it's got bad principles. And even if it has got bad principles I think it deserves evaluating with functional offensive players in it before we go around trashing the assistant coaches as if we have any idea what they're doing behind the scenes. 

You don't hear coaches talk about Xs and Os mid season because it would be stupid to give detailed Xs and Os in interviews. Just doing other teams scouting for them. 

Not to mention this team asks a lot of its players defensively. As such it stands to reason you can't expect the players to have enough band width to remember all the detail on defense and then turn around and run an incredibly detailed and intricate offense. 

Also one of the greatest offenses in the modern era was essentially "give the ball to James Harden with shooters" Xs and Os are overrated. 

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

You know what you perceive but you also perceive an offense where we "only run pick and roll and horns". 

Just because the offense isn't working (because of a lack of spacing) doesn't mean it's got bad principles. And even if it has got bad principles I think it deserves evaluating with functional offensive players in it before we go around trashing the assistant coaches as if we have any idea what they're doing behind the scenes. 

You don't hear coaches talk about Xs and Os mid season because it would be stupid to give detailed Xs and Os in interviews. Just doing other teams scouting for them. 

Not to mention this team asks a lot of its players defensively. As such it stands to reason you can't expect the players to have enough band width to remember all the detail on defense and then turn around and run an incredibly detailed and intricate offense. 

Also one of the greatest offenses in the modern era was essentially "give the ball to James Harden with shooters" Xs and Os are overrated. 

That Mike D‘Antoni offense was greatly executed X and Os. These things don’t go uncoordinated. Harden was one of the best pick and roll players in the league, but it was greatly designed offense. 

X and Os are not overrated. It’s a matter of players buying in and willing to do it. Sacramento is a great example of this. Their offense has become well designed. We could very well do more on that end. 

Yes our defense is very demanding. And to be clear. I have been defending Mosley here a lot. I like him as our coach. And i’m not trashing our assistant coaches. I just don’t understand how a lead assistant can get a new job at the beginning of the season. Head coach talks about how important he was and then you don’t fill that gap? It doesn’t make sense. 

look around the NBA. Most NBA teams have multiple well known assistant coaches. We are not one of them. 

3 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

That Mike D‘Antoni offense was greatly executed X and Os. These things don’t go uncoordinated. Harden was one of the best pick and roll players in the league, but it was greatly designed offense. 

X and Os are not overrated. It’s a matter of players buying in and willing to do it. Sacramento is a great example of this. Their offense has become well designed. We could very well do more on that end. 

Yes our defense is very demanding. And to be clear. I have been defending Mosley here a lot. I like him as our coach. And i’m not trashing our assistant coaches. I just don’t understand how a lead assistant can get a new job at the beginning of the season. Head coach talks about how important he was and then you don’t fill that gap? It doesn’t make sense. 

look around the NBA. Most NBA teams have multiple well known assistant coaches. We are not one of them. 

Well known does not equal good. 

30 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Well known does not equal good. 

true! but most head coaches also rely on experienced assistant coaches to either draw up defenses or offenses..

today’s game is a great example. Mosley was an assistant and drew up defenses for Carlisle back in Dallas.

Carlisle built one of the best offenses with the INDIANA PACERS and Mosley has built one of the best Defenses right now. 

So yeah. Great assistant coaches are needed and we just let one go without compensation, that’s a fact