Soul Bro

2023-2024 Season Thread

2 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Contract amounts don’t dictate playing time? Ok whatever. Last time I checked, coaches and gms get fired every year, so to say they are always correct in their evaluations is incorrect. 

Didn't say either of those things.

1 minute ago, CTMagicUK said:

Didn't say either of those things.

You did by saying queen getting a contract over Mac means queen is better.  Also that other teams haven’t given him playing time it means he is not good enough. That is possibly true if you assume all coaches and gms are good evaluators, well news flash, they aren’t. Contract size is a huge factor in playing time and two way contracts are very little compared to regular contracts. Btw Queen, when did he play last? Exactly. 

31 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

You did by saying queen getting a contract over Mac means queen is better.  Also that other teams haven’t given him playing time it means he is not good enough. That is possibly true if you assume all coaches and gms are good evaluators, well news flash, they aren’t. Contract size is a huge factor in playing time and two way contracts are very little compared to regular contracts. Btw Queen, when did he play last? Exactly. 

I never said Queen getting a contract means he's better. 

I also don't know what when Queen last played has got to do with anything. 

You are aware that all 30 NBA teams have had the ability to offer Mac a contract all season right? And that's been the case since last summer where his best offer was seemingly an Ex10 from us. The Memphis Grizzlies have played 31 different guys in the NBA this season due to injury, at any point they could have offered Mac a contract. This isn't about 1 or 2 GMs passing on him. 

I'm really glad we have cap flexibility this summer. While I understand letting this team mature together, this roster needs clear help. 

54 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I'm really glad we have cap flexibility this summer. While I understand letting this team mature together, this roster needs clear help. 

We need a PG that can shoot and play D. I would be willing to sacrifice WCJ and some picks to get one. I think we'd be fine with platooning Goga, Mo, and JI at center with our core 3 and a much better PG. We might be OK with Suggs as PG if we got a great combo guard to play with him.

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I never said Queen getting a contract means he's better. 

I also don't know what when Queen last played has got to do with anything. 

You are aware that all 30 NBA teams have had the ability to offer Mac a contract all season right? And that's been the case since last summer where his best offer was seemingly an Ex10 from us. The Memphis Grizzlies have played 31 different guys in the NBA this season due to injury, at any point they could have offered Mac a contract. This isn't about 1 or 2 GMs passing on him. 

What I’m saying is. Every team has 12 guys on contract for more money than any 2 way contract, they are committed to those twelve and the extra two way players they already have. Their incentive to go get another guy and to actually give him meaningful minutes is extremely low. This is why guys like Maclung and Queen gets stuck in the g league. They have to play almost perfect to give them a real opportunity over the guy they are paying ten times as much. 

2 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

What I’m saying is. Every team has 12 guys on contract for more money than any 2 way contract, they are committed to those twelve and the extra two way players they already have. Their incentive to go get another guy and to actually give him meaningful minutes is extremely low. This is why guys like Maclung and Queen gets stuck in the g league. They have to play almost perfect to give them a real opportunity over the guy they are paying ten times as much. 

Salaries players get are generally directly related to what they’ve shown they can do in the NBA.  It’s why Paulo is going to be paid a lot more than Goga when his rookie contract expires.  It’s not surprising that playing time is allocated to the best players.  

Queen got some meaningful playing time with us when we had injuries, and while he held his own, he didn’t look clearly better than anyone else we had out there.  

Attention Mods, I have prepared a 'second chance' poll for what the message board members think the Magic's Record will be for the last 11 games at the end of the season.

In Poll #2, message board members will have a second chance opportunity to change their votes. 

Maybe lock Poll #1 (don't delete) and pin Poll #2. I will understand. If you don't want to do either, Just an idea.

2 hours ago, JJZFL said:

Salaries players get are generally directly related to what they’ve shown they can do in the NBA.  It’s why Paulo is going to be paid a lot more than Goga when his rookie contract expires.  It’s not surprising that playing time is allocated to the best players.  

Queen got some meaningful playing time with us when we had injuries, and while he held his own, he didn’t look clearly better than anyone else we had out there.  

Playing time is based on who’s opinion? And that opinion is biased by contract size and the judgement of 20-30% of coaches who get fired every year. To say they don’t get playing time because their play is not worthy, is naive. If coaches and gm’ were infallible, then I would agree, but that is clearly not the case. 

1 hour ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Playing time is based on who’s opinion? And that opinion is biased by contract size and the judgement of 20-30% of coaches who get fired every year. To say they don’t get playing time because their play is not worthy, is naive. If coaches and gm’ were infallible, then I would agree, but that is clearly not the case. 

That’s kind of a silly argument.  Since they’re not infallible, they shouldn’t try to figure out who gives them the best chance to win?  Should they just pick the players at random, maybe have a lottery or something?

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

That’s kind of a silly argument.  Since they’re not infallible, they shouldn’t try to figure out who gives them the best chance to win?  Should they just pick the players at random, maybe have a lottery or something?

Yes they should pick the best players regardless of how much money they make. But are they really going to sit a million dollar player when they think the undrafted guy is better. It takes balls of steel to go against the gm’s commitment to a guy and it’s very easy to just play the paid guy. And this scenario doesn’t even factor bad player evaluations. 

2 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Yes they should pick the best players regardless of how much money they make. But are they really going to sit a million dollar player when they think the undrafted guy is better. It takes balls of steel to go against the gm’s commitment to a guy and it’s very easy to just play the paid guy. And this scenario doesn’t even factor bad player evaluations. 

Why do you think the higher paid players make more money?

• Upvote 1