Soul Bro

2023-2024 Season Thread

I was listening to Bill Simons Pod with Doc Rivers the other day. He talked about his first year here as a coach in Orlando. He said he had two assistant coaches who were former head coaches. He said they taught him so much. Then he shared a funny story of how they both went against him on a decision. He basically said I’m the head coach lol

I would like a more established coach with Mosley. But I don’t know that it matters much. 

11 hours ago, orlandoholic said:

true! but most head coaches also rely on experienced assistant coaches to either draw up defenses or offenses..

today’s game is a great example. Mosley was an assistant and drew up defenses for Carlisle back in Dallas.

Carlisle built one of the best offenses with the INDIANA PACERS and Mosley has built one of the best Defenses right now. 

So yeah. Great assistant coaches are needed and we just let one go without compensation, that’s a fact

We obviously promoted from within to full Tibbets role. It was late in pre season and we probably didn't want to add an outside voice to a close group and risk the chemistry. Or possibly we just want to build the culture among everyone here that if you work hard you can progress (see Anthony Parker gone from scout to GM with the Magic), there's nothing wrong with that and honestly it should be encouraged in an industry rife with nepo hires.

Also look at what happened in Milwaukee with Terry Stotts. Ex-head coaches aren't always good fits as assistants. 

11 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Guys, Big Twiggy Holmgren is really good, as are the Thunder. I’m happy with Paulo, but credit where it’s due.

I've tried so hard not to bring it up randomly lol

22 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Haha! He’s really good.

50/40/90 whilst playing elite defense as a rookie on the current number 2 team in the West. He's been crazy. The efficiency is definitely aided by playing with a legit superstar but I think he's going to make ROTY a legitimate discussion when at some points this off-season and early season it felt like, on hype alone, it was Wemby's already.

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Chet's offensive bag is unbelievable for a man that size, and his defense is way better than expected.

His defense is exactly as good as expected for me. Maybe he's got there quicker than expected but I was saying he was a potential DPOY for months.