Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2023 NBA Summer League Watch Thread

18 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Shaedon Sharpe | Kentucky | Top 100 rank: No. 7

Why Sharpe might be better than the Big Three

No player currently projected in the draft's top three is as smooth with the ball in his hands as Sharpe. In a league that covets perimeter shot-creators more than ever, the 18-year-old Sharpe offers an element that Holmgren and Smith don't -- the ability to make pull-up 3s with range, create space out of isolations, and get all the way to the rim for explosive finishes. Smith does two out of the three but hasn't quite shown the ability to break down his man for consistent paint touches and rim attacks. We're still learning more about Holmgren as a primary creator. Banchero is a tremendous ball handler and creator at 6-10, 255 pounds, but Sharpe -- while playing a much different position -- is an even better shooter from beyond the arc with the ability to get his shot out of a variety of different moves.

Although not quite as powerful at 198 pounds, Sharpe has the skill set to eventually function like Anthony Edwards does for Minnesota as a three-level, pick-and-roll scorer who can also make enough reads to moonlight as the primary ball handler for stretches. Sharpe's passing potential is one of the things that stood out to me most during a Kentucky practice this season. With that said, there are real questions about whether or not Sharpe has the motor and aggression to consistently hunt the type of shots that Edwards -- never short on confidence -- does, as Sharpe is often compared to Andrew Wiggins in terms of his consistency and approach. But in terms of the potential as a pick-and-roll scorer with passing upside, Sharpe is in a class of his own….Jonathan Givony 

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/33980075/the-four-players-break-2022-nba-draft-big-three

MagicMan79 …Givony would disagree …only reason he didn’t go higher was because scouts didn’t have enough data …you’ve been pretty positive about Sharpe as an aside .

I still like him a lot and think he will make All Star Teams Junkie.  I like Paolo, Chet, Smith Jr over him. He is at the top of the next tier of Jalen Williams, Mathurin, and Murray for me. I think of him as more of a secondary All Star in the same class as Beal and Lavine.  It’s so hard for a shooting guard to be the top guy. I don’t see a Dwayne Wade or Kobe for example. This doesn’t mean I think Paolo is a top 20 player of all time either to be clear.  I do think Paolo has the potential to be the best player on a Championship Team though.

7 hours ago, TrueMagicFan07 said:

I admit I didn't see full games, but when I tuned in to watch, I watched long enough to see Black  passing the ball. He was pretty much walking  and like: "I'll throw the ball over here and over there." He seemed to be moving in slow 'mo'_tion. I didn't see any energy and athleticism ("get up and go"), or breaking down defenses, nothing that made ME feel he has potential to be a good point guard. Maybe he is reserving it for the real games and is trying not to get injured before the season starts. The only thing I see of value is his height, 6'7", which would allow him to dominate shorter point guards. /That's just my 2 cents.

jQRFmG.jpg

That picture made my day. Thanks for being you TMF. Your post was spot on. AB is the new Mo Bamba. Long and not much else. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Ok your right. He’s Just what we needed, a point guard that dominates the glass. Lol

Ok this was actually funny lmao.

yeah idk about this guy. I wasn’t thrilled with drafting him. Only thing that stood out to me in college was defense. He wasn’t some crazy behind the back no look passer like JKidd. He makes good reads and passes but to be that kind of a passer you also have to the ball on a string when dribbling and he doesn’t quite have that.

I’m hoping the SL coaching is so bad that when he gets with Mosley and crew it will be night and day. 

That’s the most concerning thing I have. We all knew his shooting would be work but if he isn’t an elite facilitator/passer, it’s a bad pick.

20 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Shaedon Sharpe | Kentucky | Top 100 rank: No. 7

Why Sharpe might be better than the Big Three

No player currently projected in the draft's top three is as smooth with the ball in his hands as Sharpe. In a league that covets perimeter shot-creators more than ever, the 18-year-old Sharpe offers an element that Holmgren and Smith don't -- the ability to make pull-up 3s with range, create space out of isolations, and get all the way to the rim for explosive finishes. Smith does two out of the three but hasn't quite shown the ability to break down his man for consistent paint touches and rim attacks. We're still learning more about Holmgren as a primary creator. Banchero is a tremendous ball handler and creator at 6-10, 255 pounds, but Sharpe -- while playing a much different position -- is an even better shooter from beyond the arc with the ability to get his shot out of a variety of different moves.

Although not quite as powerful at 198 pounds, Sharpe has the skill set to eventually function like Anthony Edwards does for Minnesota as a three-level, pick-and-roll scorer who can also make enough reads to moonlight as the primary ball handler for stretches. Sharpe's passing potential is one of the things that stood out to me most during a Kentucky practice this season. With that said, there are real questions about whether or not Sharpe has the motor and aggression to consistently hunt the type of shots that Edwards -- never short on confidence -- does, as Sharpe is often compared to Andrew Wiggins in terms of his consistency and approach. But in terms of the potential as a pick-and-roll scorer with passing upside, Sharpe is in a class of his own….Jonathan Givony 

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/33980075/the-four-players-break-2022-nba-draft-big-three

MagicMan79 …Givony would disagree …only reason he didn’t go higher was because scouts didn’t have enough data …you’ve been pretty positive about Sharpe as an aside .

I wanted to do whatever it took to get an additional pick and grab him, including giving up both of this year's picks.

16 minutes ago, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

I wanted to do whatever it took to get an additional pick and grab him, including giving up both of this year's picks.

Yeah, this was the draft to have 2 lottery picks. I thought the Pistons should've taken him at 5, being that he was the perfect fit to compliment Cunningham.

2 hours ago, MagicMan1979 said:

I still like him a lot and think he will make All Star Teams Junkie.  I like Paolo, Chet, Smith Jr over him. He is at the top of the next tier of Jalen Williams, Mathurin, and Murray for me. I think of him as more of a secondary All Star in the same class as Beal and Lavine.  It’s so hard for a shooting guard to be the top guy. I don’t see a Dwayne Wade or Kobe for example. This doesn’t mean I think Paolo is a top 20 player of all time either to be clear.  I do think Paolo has the potential to be the best player on a Championship Team though.

Yeah I’m not buying the Big 3 will be the best …time will tell imo …I mean, this is a kid who came straight from EYBL and a couple summer HS all star games to do what he’s doing now professionally …he just turned 20 a month ago …I mean, Givony himself comparing the kid to Anthony Edwards and that kid still has a lot more developing to do himself …no college or G League for Sharpe …and since he came out of nowhere to be number 1 in his class I think he’s hungry ….the Covid year he got in the gym and just worked his ass off to get where he is now .

To be clear my opinion is he’ll pass them all …you see what Givony said about why he “could” be the best ….he has to develop first but the talent is second to no one …and Givony confirmed .

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

Yeah I’m not buying the Big 3 will be the best …time will tell imo …I mean, this is a kid who came straight from EYBL and a couple summer HS all star games to do what he’s doing now professionally …he just turned 20 a month ago …I mean, Givony himself comparing the kid to Anthony Edwards and that kid still has a lot more developing to do himself …no college or G League for Sharpe …and since he came out of nowhere to be number 1 in his class I think he’s hungry ….the Covid year he got in the gym and just worked his ass off to get where he is now .

To be clear my opinion is he’ll pass them all …you see what Givony said about why he “could” be the best ….he has to develop first but the talent is second to no one …and Givony confirmed .

That's pretty cool. Big fan of his game, too. But Paolo took one of Coach K's worst teams in recent memory, and put them on his back and led them to the Final Four. That ain't nothing to sneeze at. I think he has a high upside, but I'm still taking Paolo and Chet over him. Jabari and him are a coin toss for me, at the moment. Because I expect a big year from Jabari this season. He clearly was the best second year player in SL.

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

No worries man I know he’s your guy.  I think he will be good. I also like Givony and his opinion. I do think that being a near unanimous Rookie of The Year puts Givony in a very small minority for sure. 98 out of 100 voters voted him number one. Also he was the only unanimous selection for The Rookie First Team.  Sharpe didn’t make The First Team to be clear.  That means I can quote an awful lot of people in the media that think Paolo is the clear number one from his class.  As far as I know there isn’t anyone as high on Sharpe as you and Givony.   I was very impressed with Chet and Smith Jr in Summer league. I think their defense puts them above Sharpe who is a very poor defender and has to improve his basketball IQ as well. I love my Lavine comparison to him.  

GO MAGIC!!!!

Yeah as I’ve been saying Sharpe came from no data …why he went 7 …he wanted to go first in the draft …Paolo was drafted onto a team that was awful …therefore they needed his scoring and he got minutes, shots and an offense run through him …was tailor made to win ROY cause it’s based on numbers …so was no doubt who should have won 

Last 10 games of Portland season Sharpe got to have the offense run through him …just like Banchero …he put up numbers decisively higher …some of those games were against teams vying for playoff positioning …I have no reason to think he can’t duplicate that with the same parameters …lastly, Sharpe’s defense may not be great …but Banchero was part of that 10 game or so barrage of teams breaking records on us shooting the 3 …took our team out of playin contention …pretty sure he ain’t winning any DPOY awards anytime soon …defense was one of the biggest criticisms of him by the heavyweight sportswriters .

Long way to go for this determination …

35 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Yeah as I’ve been saying Sharpe came from no data …why he went 7 …he wanted to go first in the draft …Paolo was drafted onto a team that was awful …therefore they needed his scoring and he got minutes, shots and an offense run through him …was tailor made to win ROY cause it’s based on numbers …so was no doubt who should have won 

Last 10 games of Portland season Sharpe got to have the offense run through him …just like Banchero …he put up numbers decisively higher …some of those games were against teams vying for playoff positioning …I have no reason to think he can’t duplicate that with the same parameters …lastly, Sharpe’s defense may not be great …but Banchero was part of that 10 game or so barrage of teams breaking records on us shooting the 3 …took our team out of playin contention …pretty sure he ain’t winning any DPOY awards anytime soon …defense was one of the biggest criticisms of him by the heavyweight sportswriters .

I think him and Scoot will be fun to watch for sure. They both have very flashy and exciting games. Im not sure who will be better between those two. Like who’s team do you think Portland will be?  I’ll be watching them in league pass.

As long as we agree Sharpe has a long way to go to pass Paolo we are on the same page. Time will tell but as of right this second Paolo is the best of that class. I am interested in seeing what he can do on a team with mostly All Stars this summer on Team USA. The experience will be great for our guy. 

39 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Sharpe turned it on when teams were either packing it up preparing for the playoff or tanking. So you have to take some of that with a grain of salt. Love his game, though, but still behind the top 3 from his class. Jabari and Chet both have out-perform him this summer. Keegan Murray, too. He's more in line with Ivey and Mathurin than he is with the top 4.

• Upvote 1