Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

17 minutes ago, Jon said:

That’s the million dollar question. Right now you have Fultz, Cole and Black. Two PG’s who aren’t spreading your floor consistently enough atm and another who can but lacks consistency in other areas.

At SG you have a defensive minded combo guard who’s inconsistent from outside, not the best at handling the ball and another who only does one thing above average  and that’s hit wide open uncontested  3’s.

I would say you upgrade that two guard spot with someone you know that fits alongside Paolo/Franz and can spread the floor and make good decisions with the ball if the shot isn’t falling.

Gotcha. Personally I see Fultz as the leader of the whole locker room and team, so I'd keep him as the starting PG and have Black back him up. What we do at SG is anyone's guess. If we're taking this year as another growth/assessment year, we should know by the deadline who we're keeping for the long haul.

1 minute ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Rumor that the Cavs are open to moving Garland. He’d be a perfect backcourt complement to Franz and Paolo and he’s only 23

2 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Gotcha. Personally I see Fultz as the leader of the whole locker room and team, so I'd keep him as the starting PG and have Black back him up. What we do at SG is anyone's guess. If we're taking this year as another growth/assessment year, we should know by the deadline who we're keeping for the long haul.

Exactly.   Things will be clearer at the deadline.  And I agree that Fultz, from the outside, seems to be an important glue guy. Jon, I see his limitations, I am not being short sighted.  But I feel he has value beyond what you see. Thats fine, we all see things differently.   As to Cole. You are correct, with the right mind set, he might be a positional improvement over Markelle, but he does not seem to be the same glue guy.  And as of now, has not shown that same leadership when he has come in with second unit. Yes, he is getting better at those things. And do we roll the dice on a guy who MIGHT be an improvement?    I agree with Soul.   Keep Fultz, groom Black as long term .... Unless a clear improvement presents. I'm sorry, I just dont see Cole as that guy right now   (Maybe keep him another year to see how his mind set improves?   But I know that does not clear log jam)

1 hour ago, Jon said:

How much better do you really think he can be?  How much better of a fit next to Paolo/Franz can he be? 

I agree that his strengths don’t bring out the best in Paolo and Franz, especially when you combine him with a shooting guard that also can’t shoot, but I love him as a team leader right now while we figure out what’s next. I’m curious to see if his late season shooting and confidence carries over into next year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jon said:

Go do the homework and see for yourself.

Everything he does isn’t elite. He’s not an elite passer. Not elite defensively and can’t spread the floor. 

An pg who can’t spread the floor are becoming useless in modern day NBA. 

it’s not up to me to make an argument for you.. You made the claim that Fultz isn’t a top 20 PG in this league, so it shouldn’t be hard for you to name those 20 PGs to back your claim..

i certainly can’t do it because i won’t find 20. 

Markell has this hidden leadership skill that I’m not seeing so that’s why we keep him? Can’t you make an argument for any of the guards and their “leadership”? 

Hasn’t Cole always been the hype man who plays with a chip on his shoulder?  Isn’t Suggs a clutch player who brings no s such defensive intensity that it motivates others, also vocal a leader?

What is this hidden powerful leadership trait that Markelle isn’t showing but some of y’all swear by?

1 minute ago, Jon said:

Markell has this hidden leadership skill that I’m not seeing so that’s why we keep him? Can’t you make an argument for any of the guards and their “leadership”? 

Hasn’t Cole always been the hype man who plays with a chip on his shoulder?  Isn’t Suggs a clutch player who brings no s such defensive intensity that it motivates others, also vocal a leader?

What is this hidden powerful leadership trait that Markelle isn’t showing but some of y’all swear by?

OK JOn     I am trying to see your side of things, but you won't give the same courtesy.   I'm dropping out of this particular line of discussion .

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Jonas Valanciunas is on the block. Would be a good backup 5 on an expiring. 

Pelicans want a mobile rim protecting big apparently so would have to get him in a 3 team deal because no way am I giving up WCJ for him.

i mentioned this too!! 

I like Valanciunas a lot. 

Before i do that i’d go Simons plus Nurkic if there is a possibility

3 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

it’s not up to me to make an argument for you.. You made the claim that Fultz isn’t a top 20 PG in this league, so it shouldn’t be hard for you to name those 20 PGs to back your claim..

i certainly can’t do it because i won’t find 20. 

Yeah you can because most professional analysts have done it for you. Plus you have stats and all kinds of data at your fingertips.