Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

USA vs Germany. Great game so far and love to see our young guys go at it.

I only see him play in international competitions but Obst is one of the best shooters I’ve ever seen. Those motion 3s are beautiful. Would fit nicely in Orlando 

Crazy germany won.. Or not so crazy? I said the US are going to struggle with length and physicality and they did. Got crushed on the boards and couldn’t defend at a high FIBA level. 

my hot takes from just finishing watching the game:

- Steve Kerr is an overrated coach who gets carried by Steph Curry’s legendary scoring, shooting and playmaking. He is bad at game management and adjusting to opponents. He should have played their bigs today. Portis and JJJ should have started with Paolo and Kessler should have come off the bench. 

- Steve Kerr is trying to be smart with small centers and it’s hurting his team in the NBA and especially in FIBA

- They should have let Spoelstra coach this team

- The US should have nominated another established center. WCJ would have been my choice, but there were several options out there. 

- The better TEAM won today

- Please Orlando Magic, bring in Germanys coach Herbert to the coaching staff. He’s a great coach, great person and imo would fit perfectly to a compliment to coach Moose.

In the wake of Team USA’s 111-113 loss to Germany in the FIBA World Cup semifinals, head coach Steve Kerr offered candid insights. “The game has been globalized over the last 30 years. This is not 1992 anymore. Players are better all over the world,” said Kerr. He acknowledged Germany’s prowess, stating, “Congrats to Germany, they were fantastic and deserved the win.”

Kerr also pointed out defensive lapses as a key factor. “The defense was never working, which I think was a key,” he noted. He gave credit to German point guard Schroder and highlighted some tactical errors, “I thought we made some mistakes. It sounds crazy, but the first offensive rebound of the game… we should have set the tone, and we didn’t.”

The coach concluded by acknowledging the performance of Obst, a Bayern Munich sharpshooter, as one of the keys to Germany’s win. “Obst was 8 from 9 shooting free throws and had a bunch of threes. We couldn’t control him,” Kerr said.

This is a good example imo.. Kerr has no reflection ability at all. This game wasn’t an effort Problem. Team USA constantly had to deal with Mismatches. Hence the high scoring game. Germany, as always, played with two bigs. First half main strategy from Germany was to lure JJJ out of the paint and getting the mismatch in the paint. Mostly Theis/Thiemann. They also played Franz in the post some time. 
So Germany had Bridges guarding Theis in the paint. Or they had Brunson and Reaves on the mismatch. That’s a crazy task to ask those players. 

That has nothing to do with effort. Nothing. 

Well germany also collapsed the defense on those mismatches that would open up shooters like Franz or especially Obst. Of course Obst had a hot shooting day, but that actually not rare.

overall bad coaching.. 

Franz looked great today after coming back from an ankle injury. He looks like he’s going to make another leap this year which bodes well for this organization.  

• Upvote 1

Reaves is ridiculously good on offense but at the same time ridiculously bad on defense. Not only does he lack the physical tools, he also doesn’t put much effort on that side of the court..That massive contract won’t help with this issue either

Germany is World Champion in a thrilling final game. Franz had a fantastic game and was finals MVP!!! 

So proud of that team! Germany could be a lead example for the Orlando Magic. Team basketball wins. Germany has special team chemistry and so does the Magic. 
I hope team germany and Orlando Magic will develop some kind of partnership. Germany already has some Magic staff with them. Maybe this can go both ways!!

• Like 1