Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

2 hours ago, ball junkie said:

University of Kentucky now using this …this is way beyond me with all this technology ….anyway, it says 26 out of 30 NBA teams use it …I certainly hope we are a team that does apply it .

Our front office is super shrewd and highly analytical. I would be shocked if we weren't one of the first 5-10 pioneers. 

12 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

Our front office is super shrewd and highly analytical. I would be shocked if we weren't one of the first 5-10 pioneers. 

Not to mention we have a brand new, state of the art, $70m training centre. I'd honestly be surprised if there was any analytics/performance tech we don't have. 

The most obvious thing happening is we keep everyone and do almost nothing. I see we could have the fourth most cap space at 24 million. Not sure this figures in the two rookies at about 13 million and obviously we are going to waive about 3 guys. Most likely offering Mo  and Goga a contract but who knows. I think cheap back-up center and /or forward is all you can expect this week.

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

The idea that we're actively not trying to find rotation players is bizarre. 

We've rostered several guys from our G league team/summer league in the past couple of years. After that it's up to the players to play well enough to earn minutes (and the coaching staff to develop them but they're already trying to develop like 6 first round picks which are more important). I actually think Kevon Harris has a shot at being a real rotation player too.

it’s not what i said.. We actually use GLeague players. Never said we didn’t. I said we don’t use the GLeague team properly. 
we should have been drafting 2nd round picks and hidden gems and develop them in the G League. We rarely do. 

They should have used the G League more for RJ Hampton, Houstan more last season. And in the past we never drafted in the 2nd round. Bol Bol should have been playing G League as well. 

Usually we find our G League players as our 3rd string players. But those players usually don’t provide much upside. They are just borderline NBA players. 

I don’t see development being a main goal in our G League team. 

Also i like K. Harris. He wasn’t drafted as a development piece though. Dude is already in his mid twenties. Might as well fill out the roster with european borderline players. Usually they are also rock solid and have some upside as well. 

So other topic is Summer League. We alsways feature really bad rosters.. I can’t remember if any roster that was any competitive. We even through out some „trash“ team alongside our first pick.. 

Houston usually has a good summer league roster with good talent. I dunno about this year though. 

we had the 36th pick this year. 

Why not draft a guy and let him play GLeague or stash him in Europe. 

-Sissoko

-Rupert 

- GG Jackson

- Vukcevic

- Djurisic

were all available.. I just don’t understand why you wouldn’t pick up one of those players and develop them in GLeague 

There’s a belief around the league the Hawks are open to making another deal with rival NBA executives circling the wagon on Dejounte Murray, Clint Capela, and De’Andre Hunter, league sources told HoopsHype. Capela’s name has surfaced in trade talks, most notably with the Dallas Mavericks around the NBA draft.

Trade for Dejounte Murray!!! 

11 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

it’s not what i said.. We actually use GLeague players. Never said we didn’t. I said we don’t use the GLeague team properly. 
we should have been drafting 2nd round picks and hidden gems and develop them in the G League. We rarely do. 

They should have used the G League more for RJ Hampton, Houstan more last season. And in the past we never drafted in the 2nd round. Bol Bol should have been playing G League as well. 

Usually we find our G League players as our 3rd string players. But those players usually don’t provide much upside. They are just borderline NBA players. 

I don’t see development being a main goal in our G League team. 

Also i like K. Harris. He wasn’t drafted as a development piece though. Dude is already in his mid twenties. Might as well fill out the roster with european borderline players. Usually they are also rock solid and have some upside as well. 

So other topic is Summer League. We alsways feature really bad rosters.. I can’t remember if any roster that was any competitive. We even through out some „trash“ team alongside our first pick.. 

Houston usually has a good summer league roster with good talent. I dunno about this year though. 

2nd round picks require roster spaces all the same whether you send them to the G league or not, I think not using the seconds is more about that than anything. Also the reason our guys didn't go to the G league last season is likely because of all the injuries we had. Plus non 2 way guys have to agree to go to the G league and someone like Bol could decline because the optics of going to the G league and not dominating could affect his future contract chances.

Development is the only goal of the G league. Just because it's not the development of the players you want us to draft or send there doesn't mean it's not the goal. 

Every summer league roster is full of guys who won't ever play in the league. It's the nature of summer league. I actually like what we're doing which is essentially keeping our Ex-10 and 2 ways open and seeing who impresses in SL (not just for our team but on any team) versus just committing to a bunch of guys. It worked out well last summer when Kevon Harris played for another team in SL and we picked him up on a 2 way. 

1 minute ago, CTMagicUK said:

2nd round picks require roster spaces all the same whether you send them to the G league or not, I think not using the seconds is more about that than anything. Also the reason our guys didn't go to the G league last season is likely because of all the injuries we had. Plus non 2 way guys have to agree to go to the G league and someone like Bol could decline because the optics of going to the G league and not dominating could affect his future contract chances.

Development is the only goal of the G league. Just because it's not the development of the players you want us to draft or send there doesn't mean it's not the goal. 

Every summer league roster is full of guys who won't ever play in the league. It's the nature of summer league. I actually like what we're doing which is essentially keeping our Ex-10 and 2 ways open and seeing who impresses in SL (not just for our team but on any team) versus just committing to a bunch of guys. It worked out well last summer when Kevon Harris played for another team in SL and we picked him up on a 2 way. 

i edited my initial post.. 

I don’t understand why you’d pass on players like

Cissoko

Rupert

GG Jackson

Vukcevic

Djurisic

at 36.. Why? Nobody is ever going to explain this to me. It makes no sense. 
You don’t pass on that upside for some random Summer League players that can give you solid 5 NBA minutes. 

I mentioned Dosunmu before. He’s one of those guys i also didn’t understand why we passed on him and now he’s a rising star. legit NBA player that plays both ways. 

Just now, JayMac said:

So far, so good.

yes right moves.. 

Now consider Coby White or Ayo Dosunmu in FA. 

And get involved in trades. 

Jonas Valanciunas, Gafford, D. Murray  should interest us. 

20 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

i edited my initial post.. 

I don’t understand why you’d pass on players like

Cissoko

Rupert

GG Jackson

Vukcevic

Djurisic

at 36.. Why? Nobody is ever going to explain this to me. It makes no sense. 
You don’t pass on that upside for some random Summer League players that can give you solid 5 NBA minutes. 

I mentioned Dosunmu before. He’s one of those guys i also didn’t understand why we passed on him and now he’s a rising star. legit NBA player that plays both ways. 

Djurisic withdrew his entry so that's a pretty good reason why we didn't try to draft him. 

We have no roster spots for any of those guys. We currently have 16 guys (EDIT: 14 guys now) under contract and anticipate to add at least 1 in free agency. You could argue to give a 2 way to your 2nd round pick but I'd personally argue it's better to retain the 2nd round pick as a future asset Vs turning it into a guy you give a 2 way to for a season and likely cut after that.

Also we already have so many players to develop I'd rather we as an organisation focus on the high draft picks we're invested in. 

Also, maybe we just didn't really like any of those guys over what we already have on roster (Caleb Houstan essentially).

Ayo Dosunmu is a fine NBA player but "rising star" is a massive stretch.