Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

20 minutes ago, Jon said:

I know this isn’t the popular opinion but I’m looking at trading Fultz this off season. Not Cole. 

Jon, you have expressed your dissatisfaction with markelle in the past. Just as I have expressed my appreciation and feeling that he should be given at least untill the trade deadline, to see if the healthy off season has shown appreciable growth.   However, I also understand that if the opportunity comes up for a SIGNIFICANT upgrade at the point, the team may choose to move on.   My biggest issue is that I do not feel comfortable turning the position over to any of the options that we currently have on roster.

all this talk about trading Isaac and Fultz is nonsense imo.. 

This Front office gave them extensions because they believe in their talent, once they are healthy. 

They invested millions into this idea. So now that they are both looking for a healthy off season, the fo is supposed to trade the players they invested in? Not happening.. 

They are waiting at least another year to see what they got. 

Regarding Fultz. He’s a starting PG in this league. He’s on a reasonable contract and that next extension seems to be heading into a reasonable direction as well. The guy only has one weakness (3 point shooting) and can do basically everything else.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, harryfromphilly said:

Jon, you have expressed your dissatisfaction with markelle in the past. Just as I have expressed my appreciation and feeling that he should be given at least untill the trade deadline, to see if the healthy off season has shown appreciable growth.   However, I also understand that if the opportunity comes up for a SIGNIFICANT upgrade at the point, the team may choose to move on.   My biggest issue is that I do not feel comfortable turning the position over to any of the options that we currently have on roster.

We drafted a point guard. One that is similar to what we have with the hope he can become more.

We need to start building around Paolo/Franz. In a blink of an eye we’ll be looking at contracts for those two.

We know what Fultz is. We’ve had a lot of time to figure it out. He’s a lower tier pg that doesn’t spread the floor IF he’s healthy.  He’s also a UFA next year. He’s not going to be any more valuable then he is right now. Actually, his value  could get worse as we approach the deadline. 

Tough decisions need to be made. You have a log jam in the backcourt that are technically  bad fits along side our two young stars. I would say Cole is somewhat a better fit because at least he has shown commitment to taking/hitting outside shots but he isn’t the best defensive guard and sometimes has tunnel vision.

You have FA that’s weak. A draft class that’s weak in 2024. You have not addressed the SL to where you’ve added pieces that helps Paolo/Franz’s growth. 

You can’t keep drafting bad fits with potential, keeping bad fits who have shown that they aren’t congruent with your core, and say you want to win at the same time. 

The time to choose a path is now.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

all this talk about trading Isaac and Fultz is nonsense imo.. 

This Front office gave them extensions because they believe in their talent, once they are healthy. 

They invested millions into this idea. So now that they are both looking for a healthy off season, the fo is supposed to trade the players they invested in? Not happening.. 

They are waiting at least another year to see what they got. 

Regarding Fultz. He’s a starting PG in this league. He’s on a reasonable contract and that next extension seems to be heading into a reasonable direction as well. The guy only has one weakness (3 point shooting) and can do basically everything else.  

He’s not even a top 20 starting PG in the league. His versatility is overrated. Magic fans cling onto him because we haven’t anything close to a serviceable  PG in some time. Still riding on potential. He’s been in the league for 7 years.

• Downvote 4

1 minute ago, Jon said:

He’s not even a top 20 starting PG in the league. His versatility is overrated. Magic fans cling onto him because we haven’t anything close to a serviceable  PG in some time. Still riding on potential. He’s been in the league for 7 years.

Well, we have until Friday to let him go for only a $2 million hit against the cap, but that’d be bad asset management, and I think Kelle is much better than you’re making him out to be. Point guard is the hardest position in the league to learn, so him going into year 7 is an asset, especially since he’s still only 25. If we bail on Kelle and let a rookie take the reigns at PG we’re a significantly worse team.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 6/26/2023 at 10:46 PM, orlandoholic said:

here’s a POR-ORL trade out of nowhere.. 

It clears salary for Portland so they can create a team that Lilliard would like (welcome to Portland Draymond)

POR get Harris, Bol Bol, Okeke, 2024 first round pick (top3 protected) and multiple 2nd round picks. (maybe attach Cole if they insist on him.

ORL get Simons, Nurkic. 

This one is a cost cutting deal for Portland in an attenot to satisfy Lilliard and be players in FA. 
Portland don’t really need Simons and they also clear Nurkic contract 

Orlando gets their missing piece in the starting lineup and also a solid veteran backup 5 option. 
Orlando then goes on to grow this team!

PG: Fultz, Black

SG: Simons, Suggs

SF: Wagner, Howard, Houstan

PF: Banchero, Isaac, M. Wagner

C: WCJ, Nurkic, Bitadze

Make the playoffs and be a pain in the a.. to beat

I like it a lot

6 minutes ago, Jon said:

alright. I challenge you on this.. Name 20 PG that are better! 

Again. Fultz can do everything besides 3 point shooting. He can get wherever he wants, whenever he wants to his spots. He makes the team around him better, he sets players up for good shots. He can make tough passes but also the easy passes. Mostly he makes great decisions. 

He hustled on defense, plays great defense. He gets rebounds, especially in the clutch. He won us numerous games where the game was on the line and he managed to get multiple offensive rebounds, due to his hustle. 

He never gives up. He’s a true leader of this team. Great person on and off the court (from what i can tell)

So yeah name 20 PGs that have that impact..

• Upvote 5

Jonas Valanciunas is on the block. Would be a good backup 5 on an expiring. 

Pelicans want a mobile rim protecting big apparently so would have to get him in a 3 team deal because no way am I giving up WCJ for him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

alright. I challenge you on this.. Name 20 PG that are better! 

Again. Fultz can do everything besides 3 point shooting. He can get wherever he wants, whenever he wants to his spots. He makes the team around him better, he sets players up for good shots. He can make tough passes but also the easy passes. Mostly he makes great decisions. 

He hustled on defense, plays great defense. He gets rebounds, especially in the clutch. He won us numerous games where the game was on the line and he managed to get multiple offensive rebounds, due to his hustle. 

He never gives up. He’s a true leader of this team. Great person on and off the court (from what i can tell)

So yeah name 20 PGs that have that impact..

Go do the homework and see for yourself.

Everything he does isn’t elite. He’s not an elite passer. Not elite defensively and can’t spread the floor. 

An pg who can’t spread the floor are becoming useless in modern day NBA. 

• Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Well, we have until Friday to let him go for only a $2 million hit against the cap, but that’d be bad asset management, and I think Kelle is much better than you’re making him out to be. Point guard is the hardest position in the league to learn, so him going into year 7 is an asset, especially since he’s still only 25. If we bail on Kelle and let a rookie take the reigns at PG we’re a significantly worse team.

How much better do you really think he can be?  How much better of a fit next to Paolo/Franz can he be? 

1 hour ago, Jon said:

I know this isn’t the popular opinion but I’m looking at trading Fultz this off season. Not Cole. 

For what or whom?

11 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

For what or whom?

That’s the million dollar question. Right now you have Fultz, Cole and Black. Two PG’s who aren’t spreading your floor consistently enough atm and another who can but lacks consistency in other areas.

At SG you have a defensive minded combo guard who’s inconsistent from outside, not the best at handling the ball and another who only does one thing above average  and that’s hit wide open uncontested  3’s.

I would say you upgrade that two guard spot with someone you know that fits alongside Paolo/Franz and can spread the floor and make good decisions with the ball if the shot isn’t falling.