Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

With guys like MCW and Admiral Schofield. I wouldn't be surprised, if we don't make any big moves, if we pick up the player options only to waive them to get down to 15 bodies after camp, just before the season starts. We're not close to the tax so we can easily afford the cap hit of their money for 1 season and we did something very similar with Cannady last season where we picked up his option heading into camp but waived him before the season. I think it works as a kind of loyalty "thanks for being around these last couple of years" thing as well since they still get paid. 

• Like 1

There’s some interesting options here.. If i’m the Magic, i’m exploring a trade with D. Murray or D. Hunter. If they are willing to trade Okonkwu to i’d include him.. 

Also wouldn’t be mad if we included Capela. He’s a solid backup option and i’m on the record wanting a great backup center, because i believe our backup center needs to have starting capabilities, because of WCJ available/health concerns during a season

Taurean Prince feels vaguely like the type of guy this front office might have interest in, long forward type, can shoot it at a decent level, bit of a glue guy defensively.

He's got 7mil unguaranteed with Timberwolves this coming season but since it's unguaranteed he'll probably be waived so they can make room for the full MLE if he's not included in a trade in the next day or two. 

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

There's a new CBA rule that all but guarantees that we're spending some money this summer. We currently have $107m committed next season (if we bring back everybody, we'll likely waive or decline options on some guys so this will be even less) but the salary floor is 90% of the cap which is $122m this year and the rules for not hitting it under the new CBA will cost a franchise money. 

So we actually have to spend a minimum of $15m. 

Well if we’re really stuck I’ll take a million or two.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

There's a new CBA rule that all but guarantees that we're spending some money this summer. We currently have $107m committed next season (if we bring back everybody, we'll likely waive or decline options on some guys so this will be even less) but the salary floor is 90% of the cap which is $122m this year and the rules for not hitting it under the new CBA will cost a franchise money. 

So we actually have to spend a minimum of $15m. 

EDIT: I just realised this isn't including the rookie deals of AB and Jett which will be $10m ish combined I think. 

So theoretically we don't actually need to spend much to get to the salary floor. 

Too funny, I was just coming in to say pretty much the same thing. If we guarantee Fultz, G Harris, Bitadze; waive Bol, Schofield, MCW; sign our draft picks, and re-sign M Wagner to about $3.5M; that brings us to 14 contracts and a little over $115M in salary. The rookie deals at 120% are about $12M total.

Fultz/Black/Anthony

Suggs/G Harris/Howard

F Wagner/Houstan/Okeke

Banchero/Isaac/M Wagner

Carter/Bitadze

That leaves us about $7M short of the "floor", and almost $19M short of the cap. We could actually sign someone in the $21.5M range with our cap space, and then use our "Bird rights" to re-sign M Wagner afterwards. If we waive Isaac, that would free up another $9.4M and give us about $31M to free agent shop with. I don't see us doing that, as I don't think we are that close to going all in, but nice to know we have options. Definitely makes us a good option for a "third" team to make a deal work, or a deal with a team that needs to avoid the second apron of the new CBA. Decent assets for protected 1st and/or 2nd round picks, since we can take salary? 

Orlando Magic

orl.png&w=110&h=110

Offseason transactions: Anthony Black (draft) and Jett Howard (draft)

What to watch: Cap flexibility

The Magic project to have $22 million in cap space, which could double if Gary Harris and Jonathan Isaac are waived. Orlando could upgrade the shooting guard position or take a conservative approach, retaining future flexibility.

The Magic ranked 24th in 3-point shooting percentage and Paolo BancheroWendell Carter Jr., Jalen Suggs and Franz Wagner are the only players on guaranteed contracts in 2024-25 (Orlando's two first-round picks will join that group once they're signed).

Last offseason the Magic had the option to create room but elected to retain their own free agents: Harris, Bol Bol and Mo Bamba. The last time Orlando had cap space was in 2017, the first year under president of basketball operations Jeff Weltman.

What else to watch: 

Available exceptions: $7.7 million room midlevel and veteran minimum

Below the salary cap: $22 million

Key dates: 

• June 29: The deadline to exercise the team options of Goga BitadzeMichael Carter-Williams and Admiral Schofield

• June 30: The contracts of Bol ($2M), Fultz ($17M) and Harris ($13M) become guaranteed

• Oct. 23: The last day to extend the contracts of Isaac, Anthony and Chuma Okeke

• Oct. 31: The deadline to exercise the third-year team option for Banchero and fourth-year team options for Suggs and Franz Wagner 

Projected Depth Chart

PG SG SF PF C
T: Team Option | N: Non guaranteed | 2: Two-Way
M. FultzPG G. HarrisN F. Wagner P. Banchero W. Carter Jr.
A.Black C. Anthony J. Howard J. IsaacPG B. BolN
J. Suggs C. Houstan K. Harris2 C. Okeke G. BitadzeT
M. Carter-WilliamsT   A. SchofieldT    

Players under contract: 16

Two-Way players: 1

Team needs:

• Starting shooting guard who can complement Banchero and Franz Wagner

• Wing depth

• Shooting (24th in 3-pt%)

Extension eligible: Fultz, Isaac (as of 9/30), Okeke (rookie) and Anthony (rookie)

Free-agent status: 

18 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Too funny, I was just coming in to say pretty much the same thing. If we guarantee Fultz, G Harris, Bitadze; waive Bol, Schofield, MCW; sign our draft picks, and re-sign M Wagner to about $3.5M; that brings us to 14 contracts and a little over $115M in salary. The rookie deals at 120% are about $12M total.

Fultz/Black/Anthony

Suggs/G Harris/Howard

F Wagner/Houstan/Okeke

Banchero/Isaac/M Wagner

Carter/Bitadze

That leaves us about $7M short of the "floor", and almost $19M short of the cap. We could actually sign someone in the $21.5M range with our cap space, and then use our "Bird rights" to re-sign M Wagner afterwards. If we waive Isaac, that would free up another $9.4M and give us about $31M to free agent shop with. I don't see us doing that, as I don't think we are that close to going all in, but nice to know we have options. Definitely makes us a good option for a "third" team to make a deal work, or a deal with a team that needs to avoid the second apron of the new CBA. Decent assets for protected 1st and/or 2nd round picks, since we can take salary? 

I think we're definitely in "helping teams who are attempting to manoeuvre around the second apron" range if there aren't any free agents with mutual interest.(EDIT: so long as the deals we take on don't affect our flexibility, Weltman has stressed flexibility consistently)

Just a note, from what I understand Isaac is 7.6m dead cap not 9.4 so that'd change the numbers slightly.

We also can obviously waive Harris as he's 100% unguaranteed. If we wanted to free up an additional $13m but don't anticipate we'll do that unless we have a big free agent lined up. 

I know this isn’t the popular opinion but I’m looking at trading Fultz this off season. Not Cole. 

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

I think we're definitely in "helping teams who are attempting to manoeuvre around the second apron" range if there aren't any free agents with mutual interest.(EDIT: so long as the deals we take on don't affect our flexibility, Weltman has stressed flexibility consistently)

Just a note, from what I understand Isaac is 7.6m dead cap not 9.4 so that'd change the numbers slightly.

We also can obviously waive Harris as he's 100% unguaranteed. If we wanted to free up an additional $13m but don't anticipate we'll do that unless we have a big free agent lined up. 

Yes, Isaac is $17M, but only $7.6 is guaranteed. If we waive it frees up an additional $9.4M. I was still basing on the old estimate of $134M cap as well. Since the estimate is now closer to $136M we’re in even better position than I thought!

11 minutes ago, Jon said:

I know this isn’t the popular opinion but I’m looking at trading Fultz this off season. Not Cole. 

I think you’re wrong, but you’re entitled to your own opinion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Yes, Isaac is $17M, but only $7.6 is guaranteed. If we waive it frees up an additional $9.4M. I was still basing on the old estimate of $134M cap as well. Since the estimate is now closer to $136M we’re in even better position than I thought!

Oh yea, I'm dumb, you're right I misunderstood your Isaac stuff.