Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

3 hours ago, Jon said:

Maybe I’m not watching the right clips of Black but I’m not super impressed. He seems fundamentally sound but I get EP vibes.

Other than Scoot, Amen is the only other I was impressed with. Issue with him is, shooting of course, but he’s playing in what’s basically a rec league.

Disagree with the EP comparison.. 

Black has great basketball iq. He’s not just a pick and roll playmaker. 

Id compare him to Giddey

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

For me, the appeal of Anthony Black (which is also kinda the appeal of Amen Thompson though they're quite different prospects) is that if your idealized roster is "position-less basketball" then a 6'7 guard who can playmake and guard the perimeter at a high level is kind of a great fit for that.

Imagine a world where you go Black at 6 and Gradey at 11. 2 or 3 years from now provided everyone develops like you hope you could quite possibly have a starting 5 (or closing 5)  of Black/Gradey/Franz/Paolo/WCJ . Everyone is 6'7+, WCJ is solid enough moving his feet to be able to switch late clock so you can feasibly switch most actions. You've got the shot creation of Franz and Paolo, the offensive versatility of WCJ, the sharp shooting of Gradey and the playmaking/connective passing of Black to tie it all together. That'd be a tough team to out in the playoffs. 

That's not to say I want us to pick Black over anyone else. More and more I'm not campaigning whole heartedly for one prospect, since we've already got 2 young stars im mostly just excited to see where WeltHam chose to take this roster. 

Black/Cam/Hendricks/Walker/Ausar I can see worlds where any of those guys make it work and fit in well with this team. I have my own rankings but I'm also not privy to nearly as much information as NBA front offices.

absolutely.. I said it before.. There is a case for about every prospect that is considered in our range.. 

I just hope we swing for superstar potential at 6.. That would be Cam or Ausar imo.. 

If you don’t go that route, than you think about what type of players would make a strong core to grow and develop.. 

If that’s what i’m thinking about at draft night, i’d go Walker, Hendricks or Black and with the 11th pick i’m growing into liking Gradey Dick the most. (i almost posted this without his first name lol)

(I do see a path where Black or Hendricks drop to 11 though and then i’d take Black at 11)

I’d also like to add Hood Schofino into the conversation.. Kind of under the radar and could also be in play for the 11th pick

I only saw Anthony Black play 2 games against UK ..for me he was a non-factor .

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore/_/gameId/401484599
First game was an Arky victory but he was outplayed by Cason Wallace .

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore/_/gameId/401484648
Second game I thought Arky would kill us playing at home and with Cason Wallace not playing …but we had a backup swing man (Reeves) take over PG duties the entire game and he went off for 37 points …I didn’t even notice Black that much nor did he grab my attention .

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

And let us not forget to only ever judge a prospect based on how they played against Kentucky. 

Yeah I agree …but he was not impressive in either game as I alluded to …Cason was better 

48 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Yeah I agree …but he was not impressive in either game as I alluded to …Cason was better 

That’s it right there. Watching him you just don’t come away impressed. At least I don’t. I like his hustle I just don’t see anything that wows me. Not offensively anyway. 

I’m more impressed with Grady Dick footage than Blacks.

8 minutes ago, Jon said:

That’s it right there. Watching him you just don’t come away impressed. At least I don’t. I like his hustle I just don’t see anything that wows me. Not offensively anyway. 

I’m more impressed with Grady Dick footage than Blacks.

i disagree that Blacks tape is bad.. he had a great start to the season, even without N. Smith Jr..Then the injuries hit that Arkansas team and Black, whose biggest strength is to get others involved was left with subpar talent. 

He doesn’t create for himself too much. He can occasionally get in the lane, attack the rim, but that’s not his biggest strength.

Black was also a dog on defense, picking up Guards with full court pressure.. 

You can’t compare Black to Dick or Wallace. Those are three different type of players that have nothing in common.

Dick- Shooter with some scoring upside

Black- Playmaker, floor general

Wallace - elite 3 and D type player 

6 hours ago, Jon said:

I think drafting a Pg is quite possible.

Markelle (25 & 6 yrs experience), Jalen (22 & 2) and Cole (23 & 3) + Ant (19 & 0)....I just don't see it.

Not saying he is not going to be a heck of an NBA basketball player....I really think he is going to very good but not with the Magic IMHO, at least with #6. With # 11.....maybe but doubt it.

15 hours ago, orlandoholic said:

i disagree that Blacks tape is bad.. he had a great start to the season, even without N. Smith Jr..Then the injuries hit that Arkansas team and Black, whose biggest strength is to get others involved was left with subpar talent. 

He doesn’t create for himself too much. He can occasionally get in the lane, attack the rim, but that’s not his biggest strength.

Black was also a dog on defense, picking up Guards with full court pressure.. 

You can’t compare Black to Dick or Wallace. Those are three different type of players that have nothing in common.

Dick- Shooter with some scoring upside

Black- Playmaker, floor general

Wallace - elite 3 and D type player 

I didn’t say his clips were bad. Just doesn’t impress me enough to take him with 6th pick.

14 hours ago, Albert Lergier said:

Markelle (25 & 6 yrs experience), Jalen (22 & 2) and Cole (23 & 3) + Ant (19 & 0)....I just don't see it.

Not saying he is not going to be a heck of an NBA basketball player....I really think he is going to very good but not with the Magic IMHO, at least with #6. With # 11.....maybe but doubt it.

And none of those guys have shown that  they are the permanent answer to where a better option, better fit, is out of the question.

2 hours ago, Jon said:

I didn’t say his clips were bad. Just doesn’t impress me enough to take him with 6th pick.

ok i agree with that.. I’m also not considering him with the 6th pick.. 

I only consider Ausar, Cam, Jarace with the 6th pick.. Not even including Hendricks there.