Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

24 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I'm always thinking about how John Hammond picked both Giannis and Thon Maker above what the predraft consensus was for those guys. Then we promised Caleb Houstan last draft. So now a long athletic guy gets a (rumoured) promise way higher than consensus? In my head it must be us lol. Realistically though Toronto and OKC have similar types of guys they like so could be either of them easily.

I fully agree with you. I think it's us. Fits our type and timeline. Additionally, WeltHam seem to like humble, team-centric guys with European connections.

17 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

So, here are my thoughts on the moves to make for this roster over the summer. With pick #6 - Taylor Hendricks, and pick #11 Jordan Hawkins. Guarantee or exercise the club options on Fultz, G Harris, and Bitadze. Decline the options or waive Michael Carter-Williams, Bol Bol, and Admiral Schofield.  Sign D Schroder to 4/$48M using the MLE, and re-sign Moe Wagner starting at $3.5M. All this still brings us in at about $127M, or about $7M under the cap, we punt on any decision for Isaac until the end of training camp or December, as we can guarantee for the full $17.4M or release him and only pay $7.6M. That makes our rotation look like this:

Fultz/Schroder/Anthony

Suggs/Harris/Hawkins

F Wagner/Houston/Okeke

Banchero/Isaac/Hendricks

Carter/Bitadze/M Wagner

This gives you great roster flexibility to go big or go small, and leaves you cap room to make moves if you have to for injury reasons (Okeke, Isaac). You aren't forced to bring Hendricks or Hawkins along too quickly, but you can easily move either into the backup SF role as well if they are outplaying Houston/Okeke. Schroder and (hopefully) continued improvements in Anthony/Suggs will strengthen your backcourt rotation. I would also say re-sign Keyon Harris to a 2-way spot, and if you can manage it, draft Podziemski with #36 and give him the other 2-way spot. I actually think that every single one of these moves is do-able. The only snag might be Hawkins going before #11, but I think you could plug in Gradey Dick or Cason Wallace into that #11 spot and do almost the same idea.

Thoughts?

I’m just not a fan of drafting him at 6. Something about him.

Same with Black. Just very limited abilities.

43 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I fully agree with you. I think it's us. Fits our type and timeline. Additionally, WeltHam seem to like humble, team-centric guys with European connections.

But why promise a guy, and even more so, know that the guy will probably put it out there as leverage. I just don't see is leaking or promising anything, even if there's some merit to it. Could be a smokescreen by his agent too

3 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

But why promise a guy, and even more so, know that the guy will probably put it out there as leverage. I just don't see is leaking or promising anything, even if there's some merit to it. Could be a smokescreen by his agent too

We promised Caleb Houstan literally last year though. 

It could be a smokescreen though. 

20 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

So, here are my thoughts on the moves to make for this roster over the summer. With pick #6 - Taylor Hendricks, and pick #11 Jordan Hawkins. Guarantee or exercise the club options on Fultz, G Harris, and Bitadze. Decline the options or waive Michael Carter-Williams, Bol Bol, and Admiral Schofield.  Sign D Schroder to 4/$48M using the MLE, and re-sign Moe Wagner starting at $3.5M. All this still brings us in at about $127M, or about $7M under the cap, we punt on any decision for Isaac until the end of training camp or December, as we can guarantee for the full $17.4M or release him and only pay $7.6M. That makes our rotation look like this:

Fultz/Schroder/Anthony

Suggs/Harris/Hawkins

F Wagner/Houston/Okeke

Banchero/Isaac/Hendricks

Carter/Bitadze/M Wagner

This gives you great roster flexibility to go big or go small, and leaves you cap room to make moves if you have to for injury reasons (Okeke, Isaac). You aren't forced to bring Hendricks or Hawkins along too quickly, but you can easily move either into the backup SF role as well if they are outplaying Houston/Okeke. Schroder and (hopefully) continued improvements in Anthony/Suggs will strengthen your backcourt rotation. I would also say re-sign Keyon Harris to a 2-way spot, and if you can manage it, draft Podziemski with #36 and give him the other 2-way spot. I actually think that every single one of these moves is do-able. The only snag might be Hawkins going before #11, but I think you could plug in Gradey Dick or Cason Wallace into that #11 spot and do almost the same idea.

Thoughts?

so you are going to tell me we are drafting third string players in the lottery? 

No way. We ain’t the Warriors!!

We are either drafting starters or if they aren’t available, we are going for immediate help off the bench 

5 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

We promised Caleb Houstan literally last year though. 

It could be a smokescreen though. 

Anything promising a guy in the second round is a lot different than promising a guy at the number six or number 11 pick. You just don't know what might transpire unless you are unbelievably high on that guy  

53 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

Anything promising a guy in the second round is a lot different than promising a guy at the number six or number 11 pick. You just don't know what might transpire unless you are unbelievably high on that guy  

It's about opportunity cost. Let's say that it is us who've promised Coulibaly at 11. If, for example, we believe he's like the 8th best prospect in the draft, and we're basically 100% confident nobody else in that top 8 makes it to 11, and his draft stock is such that he's more of a mid first right now, why wouldn't we promise him? 

9 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

It's about opportunity cost. Let's say that it is us who've promised Coulibaly at 11. If, for example, we believe he's like the 8th best prospect in the draft, and we're basically 100% confident nobody else in that top 8 makes it to 11, and his draft stock is such that he's more of a mid first right now, why wouldn't we promise him? 

Because by making a promise, you are now unable to trade the pick if a better opportunity comes along. I agree that making a promise in the second round is far different than making a promise with a lottery pick. It really limits your options.

Orlando Magic

The known list of players to have worked out with the Magic:

• Enrique Freeman, Akron
  • Gregory “GG” Jackson II, South Carolina
  • Jett Howard, Michigan+
  • Trey Jemison, UAB
  • Craig Porter Jr., Wichita State+
  • Jordan Walsh, Arkansas+

+Scheduled

9 minutes ago, OldPennyFan said:

Because by making a promise, you are now unable to trade the pick if a better opportunity comes along. I agree that making a promise in the second round is far different than making a promise with a lottery pick. It really limits your options.

Bearing in mind the front office will already have a good idea of what teams are willing to give up for pick 11. Or maybe we just flat out don't have any intention of trading the pick. 

6 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

If his agent leveraged any promise, that'd give that agent a horrible rep. With this particular young man, I go way back to the days when drafting high schoolers was a thing. Perhaps WeltHam or someone else sees something really special in the kid, and he's practically the age of a high schooler (though playing Euro ball). I don't see drafting a guy like this at #11 as a reach if WeltHam like him.

13. Toronto Raptors: Bilal Coulibaly (Metropolitans 92, SF, 2004)

While most prospects use pro days and workouts to try and improve their stock, Coulibaly is helping himself in the LNB Pro A playoffs, most recently going for 15 points in a Game 2 semi-final win over ASVEL. Rumors of a lottery promise have started swirling in NBA circles. Teams in the late lottery have been considering the 18-year-old who's making an impact for Victor Wembanyama's Mets 92 with his effortless bounce, two-way activity and spot-up shooting. Recent flashes of self-creation have only made Coulibaly look more enticing weeks before the draft.

Dude is definitely getting attention.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10077669-2023-nba-mock-draft-updated-full-2-round-predictions