Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

11 minutes ago, Jon said:

Wait. Are you talking about Jabari Smith Jr?! As a two guard?!

It's more thinking of JSJ/Franz/Paolo has extra-tall, athletic wings. Throw out conventional wisdom of positions. We'll have 4 guys on the floor at 6'10" or above that can all shoot 3's and create offense. That's a matchup nightmare for any team on offense or defense. 

4 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

It's more thinking of JSJ/Franz/Paolo has extra-tall, athletic wings. Throw out conventional wisdom of positions. We'll have 4 guys on the floor at 6'10" or above that can all shoot 3's and create offense. That's a matchup nightmare for any team on offense or defense. 

You also have to think of it as "What player is needed to perfectly complement the game of Franz and Paolo?" The answer is "someone who is good at spacing the floor to allow for them to drive - all while having the athleticism and drive to play great individual and team defense."

JSJ had a bad year last year, but we all were high on him pre-draft and I don't think much has changed. His ceiling is still high in the right system with his physical tools and get his buy-in. My opinion again is that Houston never wanted him but took him because he was the clear #3 - and he likely knows it. Houston's culture is also weird. I just think it's worth rolling the dice on him as a buy-low candidate whom perfectly compliments Franz/Paolo.

25 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

Alright! You’re cut off pal! No more for you tonight!

Seriously though, if he was like a Tmac 6’10 ok but he’s more like a Bosh 6’10. 

• Upvote 1

I wish Franz was better at guarding two guards consistently. It seems like there are very few floor spacing, defensive minded shooting guards out there that we could potentially pick up who would fit perfectly within our system. It does seem like it would be much easier to find someone to slot in at small or power forward and slide Franz down to the two if only we could rely on him in that position consistency. Maybe he's working on getting better at guarding quicker guards over the summer?

Does Jabari Smith really offer that much more than, say, Taylor Hendricks?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, DestroidMengars said:

I wish Franz was better at guarding two guards consistently. It seems like there are very few floor spacing, defensive minded shooting guards out there that we could potentially pick up who would fit perfectly within our system. It does seem like it would be much easier to find someone to slot in at small or power forward and slide Franz down to the two if only we could rely on him in that position consistency. Maybe he's working on getting better at guarding quicker guards over the summer?

Does Jabari Smith really offer that much more than, say, Taylor Hendricks?

I remember Jabari in particular being a good, long defender. Is that not true? I'm unsure if he has the foot speed though. Franz is a great team defender (always hits his rotations). 

At the end of the day, I trust management to make the right decision. I just think a 3&D guy who is a long SG would be best for us. I'm still not against Suggs becoming that started SG, but he has to prove a more consistent jumper and the ability to stay healthy.

1 hour ago, TreyMachine said:

I remember Jabari in particular being a good, long defender. Is that not true? I'm unsure if he has the foot speed though. Franz is a great team defender (always hits his rotations). 

At the end of the day, I trust management to make the right decision. I just think a 3&D guy who is a long SG would be best for us. I'm still not against Suggs becoming that started SG, but he has to prove a more consistent jumper and the ability to stay healthy.

He’s much more of a Bosh/ Rashard Lewis player than a guard. He has almost no handle at all. 

Besides GG Jackson....anyone has any kind of "intel info, etc" of the players that have worked out or will work out for the Magic?

Orlando Magic

The known list of players to have worked out with the Magic:

• Gregory “GG” Jackson II, South Carolina

4 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

Besides GG Jackson....anyone has any kind of "intel info, etc" of the players that have worked out or will work out for the Magic?

Orlando Magic

The known list of players to have worked out with the Magic:

• Gregory “GG” Jackson II, South Carolina

I've not seen anything. I'd imagine we're attempting to keep all our visits secret as we do with everything. We only know about GG because he put it on insta, nobody reported it before then.

And I'd suggest it doesn't matter either way. We didn't work Paolo out. 

10 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I've not seen anything. I'd imagine we're attempting to keep all our visits secret as we do with everything. We only know about GG because he put it on insta, nobody reported it before then.

And I'd suggest it doesn't matter either way. We didn't work Paolo out. 

We didn’t technically but Mike Miller was working with him. I believe that was our work out with Paolo.

3 minutes ago, Jon said:

We didn’t technically but Mike Miller was working with him. I believe that was our work out with Paolo.

Mike Miller is Paolo's agent.