Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

13 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Your point being? 

probably his Pro comparison.. 

I have some pro comparisons on some of the prospects we probably gonna target. 

Ausar Thompson - Highly athletic young Jimmy Butler

Jarace Walker - Wes Unseld 

Cam Whitmore - Miles Bridges

T. Hendricks- Jonathan Isaac 

G. Dick - Gordon Hayward

40 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Your point being? 

That I am very leery of drafting a tall PG who can't shoot, but is supposed to be a really good defender and passer. Payton had a very similar draft profile as what you initially described. I hope for his sake that Ant has a better work ethic, and works hard to maximize his potential, but Payton is a cautionary example of what COULD be. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

The discussion at 6 seems to be Whitmore/Hendricks/Ausar but Spinella's new mock has us taking Ant Black at 6. It's tricky because of the lack of jumper but 6'7 with defense + playmaking very rarely fails and there's an argument that he's both the best perimeter defender and passer in the draft. 

I think Coach Spin is off with our pick # 6....way off. Magic are not drafting a PG or C with picks 6 & 11, IMHO.

22 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

I think Coach Spin is off with our pick # 6....way off. Magic are not drafting a PG or C with picks 6 & 11, IMHO.

Ant is 6'7, he could play any of the non front court positions. 

56 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

That I am very leery of drafting a tall PG who can't shoot, but is supposed to be a really good defender and passer. Payton had a very similar draft profile as what you initially described. I hope for his sake that Ant has a better work ethic, and works hard to maximize his potential, but Payton is a cautionary example of what COULD be. 

Black is considerably taller than Payton though that gives him a much greater advantage as a playmaker and defender. Payton could only really guard the point of attack, and it quickly became apparent he couldn't navigate screens effectively enough to do that at a high level. Ant's size allows for much more defensive versatility.

And Black was a better shooter this one year at Arkansas than Payton ever showed in any of his 3 seasons in college. 

2 hours ago, Albert Lergier said:

I think drafting a Pg is quite possible.

25 minutes ago, Jon said:

I think drafting a Pg is quite possible.

i can see that too! Black would actually be great just in case Fultz goes down.. he’s very underrated imo.. 

he does about everything besides shooting . He has high bball IQ. 

I just think that there are two potential starters available at 6. Cam and Ausar. The other players mentioned are going to be bench role players for us.. 

So i wouldn’t be mad if we’d draft Black.. Like i said before.. You can’t do too much wrong in this draft. It’s just a matter of what you prefer. 

7 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

i can see that too! Black would actually be great just in case Fultz goes down.. he’s very underrated imo.. 

he does about everything besides shooting . He has high bball IQ. 

I just think that there are two potential starters available at 6. Cam and Ausar. The other players mentioned are going to be bench role players for us.. 

So i wouldn’t be mad if we’d draft Black.. Like i said before.. You can’t do too much wrong in this draft. It’s just a matter of what you prefer. 

Maybe I’m not watching the right clips of Black but I’m not super impressed. He seems fundamentally sound but I get EP vibes.

Other than Scoot, Amen is the only other I was impressed with. Issue with him is, shooting of course, but he’s playing in what’s basically a rec league.

12 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

The discussion at 6 seems to be Whitmore/Hendricks/Ausar but Spinella's new mock has us taking Ant Black at 6. It's tricky because of the lack of jumper but 6'7 with defense + playmaking very rarely fails and there's an argument that he's both the best perimeter defender and passer in the draft. 

If we take one of these four. Give me Hendricks. But Hawkins or Dick better be there at 11. 

For me, the appeal of Anthony Black (which is also kinda the appeal of Amen Thompson though they're quite different prospects) is that if your idealized roster is "position-less basketball" then a 6'7 guard who can playmake and guard the perimeter at a high level is kind of a great fit for that.

Imagine a world where you go Black at 6 and Gradey at 11. 2 or 3 years from now provided everyone develops like you hope you could quite possibly have a starting 5 (or closing 5)  of Black/Gradey/Franz/Paolo/WCJ . Everyone is 6'7+, WCJ is solid enough moving his feet to be able to switch late clock so you can feasibly switch most actions. You've got the shot creation of Franz and Paolo, the offensive versatility of WCJ, the sharp shooting of Gradey and the playmaking/connective passing of Black to tie it all together. That'd be a tough team to out in the playoffs. 

That's not to say I want us to pick Black over anyone else. More and more I'm not campaigning whole heartedly for one prospect, since we've already got 2 young stars im mostly just excited to see where WeltHam chose to take this roster. 

Black/Cam/Hendricks/Walker/Ausar I can see worlds where any of those guys make it work and fit in well with this team. I have my own rankings but I'm also not privy to nearly as much information as NBA front offices.