Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

5 hours ago, orlandoholic said:

Fran Vasquez is multiple generations of Magic basketball teams ago.. I figured it’s not worth a mention.. 

It’s 18 years ago and you’re right, several basketball operations teams ago. However, it’s still the same ownership and a failure like that changes strategy at the highest level.

21 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Thoughts on Emoni Bates?

He's auditioning for a job he'll never get. Plays like KD but not as long, not as athletic, not as good a shooter or passer, high turnover and he's a very bad defender. 

Someone will draft him and he might make it as a bench scorer but short of some miraculous development (and he is only 19 to be fair) I can't see him being more than that. 

5 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Interesting fact. Mike Miller is the agent of Paulo, WCJ, and....

Keyonte George.

He was also the agent of RJ but RJ changed agents and was moved...

I'd like to think this means very little. Except it might because there's a chance Keyonte will be in the same gyms as Paolo/WCJ this summer as he preps for the draft and could therefore build a rapport with those guys. I don't believe for a second this FO would draft someone solely because of off court relationships, but it might break a tie with another player? 

I hate stuff like this though. Mike Miller could end up holding an overwhelming amount of power over this franchise and that's dangerous. 

This guy has some good observations on every first round player. There are dozens of these videos but this one is a good primer if you don't know much about these players yet.

4 hours ago, hootie249 said:

This guy has some good observations on every first round player. There are dozens of these videos but this one is a good primer if you don't know much about these players yet.

I like Spins. His vids are about as close to the old Draft Express vids that Givony and Schmidt used to put out as you'll find. His opinion on a few prospects differs quite a bit from mine but I value his opinion and he's clearly putting a lot of effort into this, wouldn't surprise me if he got picked up by mainstream media or a team at some point. 

The big thing to note...if we move up, besides Victor every high level pick needs the ball in their hands. It could be a problem moving forward if it happens. Scoot,Amen,Miller some of the biggest names in the top ten like Whitmore and Black. They need the ball.  It's why if you really believe in our current players i think lucking into Hendricks and Cason would be amazing, if we are keeping them all 4 cheap rookie years. 

If you are best player available getting Scoot,Amen or Miller could send us into super team mode.

Getting Wembanyama would still be best as that would catapult us into Shaq/Penny status again. Just draft a shooter with the Bulls pick and let things work themselves out.

10 hours ago, hootie249 said:

The big thing to note...if we move up, besides Victor every high level pick needs the ball in their hands. It could be a problem moving forward if it happens. Scoot,Amen,Miller some of the biggest names in the top ten like Whitmore and Black. They need the ball.  It's why if you really believe in our current players i think lucking into Hendricks and Cason would be amazing, if we are keeping them all 4 cheap rookie years. 

If you are best player available getting Scoot,Amen or Miller could send us into super team mode.

Getting Wembanyama would still be best as that would catapult us into Shaq/Penny status again. Just draft a shooter with the Bulls pick and let things work themselves out.

A lot of those guys don't NEED the ball. Scoot does obviously because he's a PG, Amen probably too if he can't shoot.

The rest of them can create with the ball but don't NEED it. Miller is a terrific 3pt shooter so fits easy off ball (he's actually not a sure thing as an on ball creator). Whitmore is an awesome cutter, finisher and a developing 3 point shooter. Im not sure Ant Black is a high volume on ball creator, seems more likely he'll be a secondary creator/connector. 

This also isn't a huge problem for us if we draft a ball handler. If you look at any playoff team they all have multiple guys who can handle the ball, create, score one on one etc and most of our guys can play off ball as well as on.

Wonder if Joey Hauser will get a shot in the league? His older brother Sam went undrafted but was a real roleplayer this year with Boston. Joey will almost certainly go undrafted also, he'll be 24 before the start of next season and only really has one NBA skill (shooting) but shooting is at a premium and he has the inside track on what to do to stick in the league. 

Bona has a bad injury that might keep him out for some of the season it seems... Shoulder surgery I think. If he's on the board at 36 he'd be great to draft and "stash" (let him recover from injury). I think he's a first round talent, would be an ideal backup 5 for us. Could easily develop into a starting caliber player. 

EDIT: just read he'll likely be back by October so possible the injury won't play a factor in his draft stock.