CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

As a physician, I can say with confidence that medical staffs are not clairvoyant. If they knew who was going to get injured, we would never have drafted Isaac, for example.  I’m not sure they would even be asked to provide such an opinion unless someone has already been injured. 

Regarding adding strength and weight, you’re right that most college players coming into the NBA improve in those areas.   The concern about Holmgren is that his frame is so far outside the norm to begin with.  You’d think he would have added some bulk by now if he was able to.  He looks almost anorexic.  His BMI is under 20 which I’ve never seen in an NBA player before.  He is the classic “more than two standard deviations outside the mean” situation.   No one is really going to be able to fully assess that.  Personally, I think it’s too big a risk.  

TO MY FELLOW MAGIC FRIENDS.... 

Guess who this player is.....

Player X is truly an elite physical talent with a wingspan and standing reach that don’t come along often … He figures to be a capable rebounder and rim protector at the NBA level from day one. This alone gives him one of the highest floors in this draft, with an extremely high ceiling as well … His defensive potential paired with growth as a player, added girth, and experience could render him one of the best defensive bigs in the game for years to come … The fact he has a nice looking jumper and is already starting to get good results from the free throw line and in game situations at such a young age can make him an asset in terms of spacing as well … If he’s able to piece together all the areas of his offensive game, he actually has the potential to be a legit offensive NBA player while still being a defense first guy …

5 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

I'd leave that to the coach and staff, first and foremost with the players having a say, a lot of say.

Somebody posted earlier …Weltham didn’t want Suggs …he refused to work out for us and had bombed other workouts …only took him because he was BPA …I’m not sure he’s in the long range plans …we’ll see 

9 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Somebody posted earlier …Weltham didn’t want Suggs …he refused to work out for us and had bombed other workouts …only took him because he was BPA …I’m not sure he’s in the long range plans …we’ll see 

The name of the league has to add the letter E to their name...E = EGO

I know what you are saying.....I remember Shaq being mad at an Orlando Sentinel poll and we can go on and.....I like to say "it's a jungle out there"

I saw an article where TyTy Washington was saying how Sharpe could have helped the team …he stated Sharpe would have drawn attention to the opponents and left other guys open …which is what star players do …but he wasn’t mad …called Sharpe his brother …said if Sharpe was his kid he would have told him to do the exact same thing …was a business decision .

Ima keep searching till I find that article 

I will be happy if they pick Jabari. Seriously many times all these guys have talent, it's just which player wants to be great. Paolo and Chet kind of give me that spoiled always been better then the competition vibe. Many times it is the kid from the smaller school that works harder and therefore becomes better. That sounds like Jabari Smith.

Just don't tell me Jabari is the BPA pick. He is the safest pick. Chet,Paolo and a few other players have possibly more upside.

And about the Ryan Anderson comps, if i could find the post i would link it. I'm not the stat geek some fans are but this post had about 15 players that came out of one year in college shooting like Jabari does. Some were very good players, but really none were stars. For a simple reason, for which i will use Durant to explain.

Someone on the Magics forum was trying to compare the two. Which is laughable. Not even close to the same players. Both tall, deadly shooters. Durant in College had a higher usage rate and an inside out game. Averaged way more points and rebounds because half of his scoring came on post moves even though he was an excellent shooter. Durant barely had any assists because he scored so much and could create a good shot almost always. He was a kid you gave the ball to and let him create. Even in college. Same with Tatum.

Same with Paolo,Chet, and a few other players in this draft. Jabari does get off his own shot and is good in transition because, you guessed it, he is bigger and faster then you would think. In college. Just watched a few videos again, in a half court setting he mostly is a one move and rise up and shoot player. Great stuff, his stroke is so smooth! Guys, it's that size and speed that will make him a number one player possibly. That's what makes him amazing! But he doesn't create. The true stars in this league create shots. Just saying. It's just that simple.

Even though he is one of the best shooters in this draft he won't be it's best player, unless he is as fast and big as he looks against college players. If he becomes a transition beast and keeps that 3 point shot...look out! He won't be a half court leading scorer unless he is in the perfect situation.

1 hour ago, Albert Lergier said:

TO MY FELLOW MAGIC FRIENDS.... 

Guess who this player is.....

Player X is truly an elite physical talent with a wingspan and standing reach that don’t come along often … He figures to be a capable rebounder and rim protector at the NBA level from day one. This alone gives him one of the highest floors in this draft, with an extremely high ceiling as well … His defensive potential paired with growth as a player, added girth, and experience could render him one of the best defensive bigs in the game for years to come … The fact he has a nice looking jumper and is already starting to get good results from the free throw line and in game situations at such a young age can make him an asset in terms of spacing as well … If he’s able to piece together all the areas of his offensive game, he actually has the potential to be a legit offensive NBA player while still being a defense first guy …

Mo Bamba? Lol 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

Mo Bamba? Lol 

Correct !!!

And this is what Chet might end being....Mo Bamba # 2

Do I think this FO has learned the lesson with JI and Mo? I hope so. Can't envision them going for a 3rd time with Chet knowing what they have experienced with Mo and JI.

And by the way, having Wendell established !!!!

3 hours ago, JJZFL said:

As a physician, I can say with confidence that medical staffs are not clairvoyant. If they knew who was going to get injured, we would never have drafted Isaac, for example.  I’m not sure they would even be asked to provide such an opinion unless someone has already been injured. 

If we take this point then, which I respect and understand (although don't we think doctors will perform medicals to try and diagnose any potentially chronic problems? - they must do something I've heard in past drafts where medical evals have dropped a prospects stock dramatically although that might have been on guys with injury records they can investigate) why does Chet have any more chance of injury than any other top prospect? Is there real data (besides anecdotal evidence) to suggest that a lack of weight when playing basketball is a risk factor in serious injury? 

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

I'd love to see any source on the idea WeltHam didn't want Suggs. 

5 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I'd love to see any source on the idea WeltHam didn't want Suggs. 

Their preference was another kid …didn’t say they didn’t want him but he did refuse to work out …they just took BPA …go back a few pages …somebody posted it saying they heard a Magic bigwig saying it on the radio 

On 5/18/2022 at 8:44 AM, hootie249 said:

Joel Glass is on the radio right now, he was the Magics representative off stage during the lotto last night. He was interviewed about his night, knowing the Magic won the lotto for almost an hour before it was announced. Good interview. 

An interesting thing he mentioned was being number 1 changes things significantly as every prospect will offer to workout for the number one team. He went even further and said Suggs would not work out for us last year before we drafted him. Rumors are his workout with Toronto was awful and that was why they chose Scottie. It's good to know the Magic were most rumored to be the ones drafting Barnes until they didn't have the chance. It seems more and more like they are good scouts. This isn't a bash against Suggs, i still have faith he turns out fine.

Also to all the people mentioning getting another lottery pick without trading the number one pick just stop now. You know nobody is giving us a top 10 pick for any of our players or a future first. Bird in hand kind of thing. Yeah sure i think a team like the Kings or Pacers would love a game changing vet instead of a rookie but we are not the team that has that player to trade.

A Webber/Hardaway type trade is a real possibility but who the heck knows who OKC or Houston really covet.

Here you go CT