CTMagicUK

2022 NBA Draft Thread

2 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

I think when you are looking at trading up, it becomes a question of who is there, what your scouting has been/says about them, and whether you want to have another guaranteed contract on the roster. If you have a player that you are high on, that you have scouted in depth, and who is available, then you pull the trigger on trading the two second round picks. But if your scouting reports are mixed, or you don't want another guaranteed contract; maybe you draft the two, high second round picks and bring them to camp to evaluate. Since they aren't guaranteed, you have more roster options of what to do - you can sign them to the main team, as 2-way contracts, offer them G-league contracts, or release them; you aren't "stuck" with them. Either option has its own risk/reward calculation. I have never understood why we haven't been bringing our second round picks to camp to evaluate rather than just trading/selling them. 

I was lucky to listen to Brandon Kravitz (his sports radio local show) interview to John Hammond on Monday.....Markelle's comeback game.

Brandon ask him where did he watch the game, etc and to my surprise he said that he was scouting the Northwestern vs Iowa game !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I tried to scout him but have not been able to determine which player or players he was scouting "to use one of those 2nd round picks". Can't be Keegan Murray as he is projected to be like a 10th overall pick. Anyone, any ideas?

One comment from him that everybody should take a note is: "we want the to be a great team not just a good one"

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I think it's too early to know who's going to be there in the 30s. I could rattle off 10 names (I couldn't actually do that at the moment haven't done much draft research this year besides the top guys) but between a hot March Madness, going back to school or having either a really good or a really bad pre draft none of those names could be in the 30s range come draft time. 

I agree 100% my friend.  Let's wait for the Madness to play out and some of that other dust to go away before we talk potential 2nd rounders.

2 hours ago, MagicFanDan said:

Let’s say we got the number 1 pick and take Jabari Smith. 

What are your thoughts on a lineup of:

Fultz 

Franz 

JI

Jabari 

WCJ 

Its a huge lineup which might scare people away from the idea, but I don’t see why it couldn’t be affective. 

Franz and JI are good perimeter defenders and should be able to guard 2 or 3’s consistently. Jabari projects as an above average defender. 

The versatility of the lineup should allow for switching of all screens.

On the offensive side, spacing shouldn’t be an issue as Franz, JI and Jabari are all reliable 3 point shooters. WCJ, has the ability to hit the 3 on a trail or pick and pop. 

This in theory would give Markelle the space to penetrate the lane. 

What’s everybody’s thoughts on this idea? 

I like your creativity. I know Franz played some SG at Michigan, so he could pull it off. Ultimately, it comes down to JI’s health. My guess is we’ll see Suggs play SG next to Fultz next year.

22 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

I was lucky to listen to Brandon Kravitz (his sports radio local show) interview to John Hammond on Monday.....Markelle's comeback game.

Brandon ask him where did he watch the game, etc and to my surprise he said that he was scouting the Northwestern vs Iowa game !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I tried to scout him but have not been able to determine which player or players he was scouting "to use one of those 2nd round picks". Can't be Keegan Murray as he is projected to be like a 10th overall pick. Anyone, any ideas?

One comment from him that everybody should take a note is: "we want the to be a great team not just a good one"

My guess is Ham was scouting Murray, who is projected to go 5 in BR’s latest mock:

”The Indiana Pacers could plug and play Keegan Murray after dealing Domantas Sabonis.

We're reaching a point where Murray's age (21) or suspect one-on-one scoring are holding less and less weight in the scouting equation. Coming off a 26-point, 18-rebound, three-assist, two-steal, two-block game against Northwestern, the 6'8" sophomore continues to produce at an astounding rate. 

Grading in the 80th percentile or better in transition, post-ups, spot-ups, putbacks, isolation and pick-and-rolling, Murray has a special knack for finding different ways to score using his tools, motor, instincts and improving shot-making.”

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2953815-2022-nba-mock-draft-shake-up-in-the-top-5-full-2-round-predictions

Time to start talking more about the draft prospects. Conference Tourney heating up and already some big names out. Have to see what they do in the the main tourney.

Biggest thing to watch is how much Murray raises his stock in the next 3 weeks. It's hard to ignore a guy who goes out and dominates every game he plays. Even if his ceiling is lower then the other big men.

On 2/16/2022 at 5:08 PM, A Better DJ & Photographer said:

I say this every year. No guys that can't shoot, and no sticks that will easily be injured. Let's draft another Franz please! NBA ready body, and can already shoot!

THIS

• Upvote 1

Alright Magic draft fans! The Iowa vs Purdue game is on at 3:30pm. Check it out if you want to see two of the best prospects playing. Keegan Murray vs Jaden Ivey!

This is the week to start scouting, this is the draft that could change the Magic!

Bonus Edit. Keegan Murray has a twin brother who plays on the same team. If we draft his brother with one of our second round picks we could have two sets of brothers on the team.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 8:13 AM, Soul Bro said:

Guys, Keegan Murray is legit. He might be a top 5 for me… even above Paulo.

do we think he's going to be the older guy who transcends the stereotype like Lillard or Mitchell?

This freaking draft can't come soon enough.

I watched the Michigan game, Iowa game, Gonzaga and Kentucky. Murray wasn't bad, it's just Iowa kept giving Richmond wide open shots at the 3 point line. The switching was very poor, including Murray and his brother. Both of them couldn't hit 3's  but once they started going inside to Murray and their center it clicked, they just started too late. Still, i watched to see if he had a legit NBA body. He does but at this point is not a good defender.

I am so torn by Chet. He looked good, i hope they go far because i want to see him against bigger, faster guys. Guy is a string bean. In his defense, i thought the same thing about Mobley but he transitioned, of course Chet makes Mobley look like a linebacker. Kentucky sucked. Not enough passing too much jacking up shots. Of course they feasted inside but the guards let them down. Ty Washington gonna drop but he did make a crucial 3 at the end of regulation. They missed 5 foul shots in overtime, that was the difference. Really want to see Auburn,Purdue and Duke today to see the top guys. Also i have a feeling the guard for Arizona is gonna shine. 

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Chet is still that dude for me. 

*Disappears for another 2 weeks*

I watched him. Honestly, he looked legit but it was against a no-name school. Let’s see how it all plays out.